X-Mas Curtain / Phone Went West Appreciation

Started by Nikkogino, Jun 19, 2011, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

I have always put these songs into the same category...they both feel kinda "island-inspired" with a definite ska/reggae type vibe.  I'm not saying that MMJ need to revisit this sound, but it is definitely one that they are good at.  I feel let down if one of these two songs isn't played at a show I am at. 
I love the guitars in X-Mas curtain....good evidence of that would be the solo in the Okonokos version...so freaking good.
Phone Went West is such a great closer...see below. 

My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West (6/3/03)

scosby2

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have always put these songs into the same category...they both feel kinda "island-inspired" with a definite ska/reggae type vibe.  I'm not saying that MMJ need to revisit this sound, but it is definitely one that they are good at.  I feel let down if one of these two songs isn't played at a show I am at. 
I love the guitars in X-Mas curtain....good evidence of that would be the solo in the Okonokos version...so freaking good.
Phone Went West is such a great closer...see below. 

My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West (6/3/03)
the last couple of times they have started first light it's the same kick-drum beat patrick always used to start x-mas curtain... i've yelled it everytime they have done it only to be reminded that i'm wrong...again. one day it will be x-mas curtain though...just hope i am there, it's being streamed, or there is a good taper

davymac

I love both of these songs too and wish they pursued that reggae sound a little more.  Does anyone know what instrument patrick plays in Xmas Curtain at 2:08? Sounds like steel drums or maybe a xylophone? I guess it could be Bo on the keyboard...Phone went west is one of my favorites too.

Nikkogino

Quote from: davymac on Jun 19, 2011, 10:27 PM
I love both of these songs too and wish they pursued that reggae sound a little more.  Does anyone know what instrument patrick plays in Xmas Curtain at 2:08? Sounds like steel drums or maybe a xylophone? I guess it could be Bo on the keyboard...Phone went west is one of my favorites too.

I've always wondered that too.  It sounds like steel drums more than xylophone, but it could still be a xylophone.  Then again, like you said, it could be a keyboard steel drum sound.  BTW, Patrick didn't play on an album until It Still Moves and Bo started with Z.

jonmayo15

On Okonokos, the steel drum is programmed in the keyboard.

Two of my absolutely favorite MMJ songs.

capt. scotty

Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber because of that next album thread, you go and do something like this... AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!

Not only in the 2 songs you mentioned, but also Off The Record they have great reggae influenced tunes. I wish they did it more.The only XMas and PWW Ive seen were T5.

Im sure ill get stabbed, but Id rather hear a PWW than a Steam. Get Some!  :bath:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

kydiddle

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 20, 2011, 06:36 PM
Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber because of that next album thread, you go and do something like this... AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!

Not only in the 2 songs you mentioned, but also Off The Record they have great reggae influenced tunes. I wish they did it more.The only XMas and PWW Ive seen were T5.

Im sure ill get stabbed, but Id rather hear a PWW than a Steam. Get Some!  :bath:

I adore the Dumb and Dumber reference. You didn't even need the picture.  ;D ;D ;D "It's a cardigan, but thanks for noticing!" (Side story...I actually picked up a guy saying that line. I said it to his buddy, who didn't get it and his friend thought it was hilarious. Haha.)

Phone Went West makes me go crazy. Love it to pieces. Not a lot of lyrics, but the way Jim belts out those lines....oh mama.  :D They played it NYC NYE. I bundled up for that show, because it was about negative bazillion degrees in NYC that day. I wore hose under my pants (who am I---my mother?) and I got so overheated on the floor that I ripped those mother effers off without taking my pants off. Not sure how I did that as I was drunk, but I think my friend helped. Crazy things happen at Jacket shows.
Cow temperature.

Clarkwork

That 6/3/03 version of Phone is my all time favorite. I listen to that one constantly. Have they ended the song that way anytime lately?  Just the best way to end it.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

davymac

Agreed, I would rather hear PWW over Steam too.  If I ever heard PWW, Steam, and Cobra in one show my head would literally explode off of my shoulders. Cobra, Jim!

johnnYYac

Quote from: davymac on Jun 20, 2011, 09:09 PM

Agreed, I would rather hear PWW over Steam too.  If I ever heard PWW, Steam, and Cobra in one show my head would literally explode off of my shoulders. Cobra, Jim!
My first show:

2008-09-06 Bank of America Pavilion - Boston, MA     
1. Mahgeetah
2. Anytime
3. Off The Record
4. Evil Urges
5. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1
6. The Way That He Sings
7. Two Halves
8. Golden
9. Thank You Too!
10. I'm Amazed
11. Evelyn Is Not Real
12. Sec Walkin
13. Phone Went West
14. Aluminum Park
15. Look At You
16. Dondante
17. Gideon
18. Lay Low
19. Smokin From Shootin
20. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
----------
21. Wordless Chorus
22. Highly Suspicious
23. Cobra
24. Run Thru
25. One Big Holiday

My most recent show:

2011-06-05 Mountain Jam - Hunter, NY     
1. Victory Dance
2. Circuital
3. The Day Is Coming
4. Off The Record
5. Gideon
6. It Beats 4 U
7. I'm Amazed
8. First Light
9. Phone Went West
10. Golden
11. Heartbreakin Man
12. Outta My System
13. Holdin On To Black Metal
14. You Wanna Freak Out
15. Slow Slow Tune
16. Steam Engine
17. Smokin From Shootin
18. (end of) Run Thru
19. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
20. One Big Holiday
21. Wordless Chorus
22. Highly Suspicious *
23. Carnival Time (Al Johnson) *
24. Dancefloors *
25. Mahgeetah

Not all three, though.

I would love Xmas Curtain.  When's the last time they played it?  BH?

EDIT: Found it on BH's spreadsheet.  X-mas Curtain last played live on December 29, 2006 at The Fillmore in San Fran.

This show:

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

DejaView2011

I love Xmas curtain!! It makes me think of old school, Roy Orbison style rock. Beautiful melody and vocal hook. I'd love to see and hear it live!
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

davymac

Johnny, that is such a sick first MMJ show! I think I have heard steam and one big holiday every show I have seen, both great tunes but I literally dream about seeing cobra...had a dream last night that Jim played it at my request haha

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 21, 2011, 12:04 AM

EDIT: Found it on BH's spreadsheet.  X-mas Curtain last played live on December 29, 2006 at The Fillmore in San Fran.

Are you disqualifying the October 19, 2010 show in NYC because it was manditory?

ThreadYYac!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

kydiddle

Hahaha...mandatory. But that's a good question. Do we count T5 when we ask when the last time something was played or not? BH needs to weigh in on this.
Cow temperature.

Crispy

Quote from: kydiddle on Jun 21, 2011, 12:53 PM
Hahaha...mandatory. But that's a good question. Do we count T5 when we ask when the last time something was played or not? BH needs to weigh in on this.
Thanks for the spelling correction there, Librarian.  ;D :P ;D
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

kydiddle

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 21, 2011, 12:54 PM

I was laughing at the choice of word...makes it seem like they didn't want to play it. Was not correcting your spelling, though I did shake my ruler at you...  :embarassed:
Cow temperature.

Crispy

Quote from: kydiddle on Jun 21, 2011, 01:00 PM

I was laughing at the choice of word...makes it seem like they didn't want to play it. Was not correcting your spelling, though I did shake my ruler at you...  :embarassed:

Just kidding you, sweetie.  ;) I've been known to whip out the Spelling Nazi red pen.

/ducking that ruler/

kydiddle

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 21, 2011, 01:05 PM
Quote from: kydiddle on Jun 21, 2011, 01:00 PM

Just kidding you, sweetie.  ;) I've been known to whip out the Spelling Nazi red pen.

/ducking that ruler/

You better duck!  ;)
Cow temperature.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 21, 2011, 12:13 PM

Are you disqualifying the October 19, 2010 show in NYC because it was manditory?

ThreadYYac!
Kinda.  That, and I wasn't there.  For those who didn't do all of T5, I think its fair to discuss the frequency, or rarity of a song played live without including T5.  I continually mention songs I'd love to hear live, just once (War Begun, The Bear, X-mas Curtain, etc.) and someone always mentions T5. 

That said, I'm pretty sure I started my search of the database with 2010, so it should have showed for 10/19/10.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 22, 2011, 12:45 AM
Quote from: Crispy on Jun 21, 2011, 12:13 PM

ThreadYYac!
Kinda.  That, and I wasn't there.  For those who didn't do all of T5, I think its fair to discuss the frequency, or rarity of a song played live without including T5.  I continually mention songs I'd love to hear live, just once (War Begun, The Bear, X-mas Curtain, etc.) and someone always mentions T5. 

That said, I'm pretty sure I started my search of the database with 2010, so it should have showed for 10/19/10.

I hear you, man, and I used to be just like you  ;)   (I still am: hearing Where to Begin and Honest Man in Chicago freaked me OUT). It certainly is fair to discuss the rarity of live appearances without bringing up T5. It's kind of like there should be an asterisk by those, just because we knew in advance that they would be played. Although you know, without T5, the "If" songs would still never have been played live at all!