Main Menu

Roy Buchanan

Started by The DARK, Jun 16, 2011, 10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

So after listening to his Second Album after picking it up used at my local record store (think it's out of print), I'm convinced that it's the greatest blues guitar record of all time.

Roy Buchanan - After Hours
ROY BUCHANAN FIVE STRING BLUES
Thank you lord - Roy Buchanan
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jaimoe

Quote from: The DARK on Jun 16, 2011, 10:17 PM
So after listening to his Second Album after picking it up used at my local record store (think it's out of print), I'm convinced that it's the greatest blues guitar record of all time.

Bold statement. I like your moxy. Roy was equally rooted in country and was a fine jazz guitarist too. His immediate disciple, Danny Gatton (aka The Humbler), was arguably more accomplished (he was certainly flashier). Although Jeff Beck virtually abandoned the blues in the '80s, he's as good as it gets when he chooses to travel back to his beginnings. Nobody touches Jimi Hendrix (he was responsible for linking past with present, then he flew the blues to the stratosphere) and I think Duane Allman was gifted with that special something, which still amazes me given how soulful and creative he was at such as young age.

As for Buchanan, you really need to seek out the Sweet Dreams anthology. Not only is it a great overview of his career, but it contains terrific rarities and unreleased stuff. Most significant is the inclusion of what many consider to be Roy's finest live performance, a cover of Neil Young's "Down by the River". There's no video for it, so don't go looking on YouTube. His solo will give you chills, kick you in the face, make you laugh with glee and leave you eager to take on the world.   

Here's AMG's review and the specs for Sweet Dreams:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/sweet-dreams-the-anthology-r124441/review

The DARK

I borrowed that CD from my best friend a few years ago, but I neglected to upload the second disc of it, which contains Down By The River. Really regretting that now.

In terms of technique, Roy may not be ostensibly as accomplished or complex on record as Beck or Gatton, but I've never heard a smoother, more emotive tone (The Messiah Will Come Again is one of my favorite examples), and he hits the kind of unique, creative blues licks that SRV would become famous for playing in his own style. What I love about Second Album is all the styles he manages to cover effortlessly; power blues, gospel, country, jazz, and a whole heap of soul. After Hours is amazing. Hendrix is hard to argue against in terms of sheer relevance, but on record, I've never heard anything this good. Can't believe it was only $4!
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jaimoe

Quote from: The DARK on Jun 17, 2011, 10:35 PM
I  Can't believe it was only $4!

Kind of the story of Roy's life.

I prefer Roy over Gatton too, but it comes down to the songs, taste and delivery more than technique.

You need to get that 2nd disc of Sweet Dreams. In fact, I've barely listened to disc-1 in the 19-years since I've owned it.

Here's the live "Down by the River" from Sweet Dreams (audio only). If you have your computer hooked up to a good set of speakers, then I advise to crank this muther up:

Roy Buchanan - Down By The River (LIVE) ALBUM VERSION