More articles, interviews, and reviews

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 23, 2011, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

searchinbig

Always nice to gain a little insight as to what these guys are thinking.  :thumbsup:
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

the_wizzard

There is a great article in the latest Rolling Stone (Katie Perry is on the cover...not quite sure why). It isn't online yet, but when it is I will post a link. Definitely worth picking up the edition, article is quite lengthy and has amazing insight into the band.

mahg33ta

lost child - claim him at the vodka tent! lol

e_wind

Esquire Magazine said that Ky was the most stylish state in the union.... They gave 9 "reasons", one of them being MMJ
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

JerseyRich

johnnYYac

SaraBananaBear

Keep 'em coming people, much appreciated!  :thumbsup: :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

darkglow

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 01, 2011, 12:01 PM
Quote from: the_wizzard on Jul 01, 2011, 10:14 AM
My Morning Jacket Interview (Live in the Bing Lounge)

More here:
http://www.kink.fm/06/28/11/My-Morning-Jacket/landing_bing.html?blockID=534798&feedID=9502
Nice little 28 minute set w/interview.  I'm working on it and will post a download link for the whole shebang...
I've stitched the 5 vids into one .wmv file, 541 MB, 720p, 28 mins.

2011-06-28 Kink FM / The Bing Lounge - Portland, OR     

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GZFSP4BN

1. I'm Amazed
2. interview
3. Golden
4. Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
5. Circuital

I'm doing the same with Everest and will post in Other Music

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 01, 2011, 12:23 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 01, 2011, 12:01 PM
Quote from: the_wizzard on Jul 01, 2011, 10:14 AM
My Morning Jacket Interview (Live in the Bing Lounge)

More here:
http://www.kink.fm/06/28/11/My-Morning-Jacket/landing_bing.html?blockID=534798&feedID=9502
Nice little 28 minute set w/interview.  I'm working on it and will post a download link for the whole shebang...
I've stitched the 5 vids into one .wmv file, 541 MB, 720p, 28 mins.

2011-06-28 Kink FM / The Bing Lounge - Portland, OR     

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GZFSP4BN

1. I'm Amazed
2. interview
3. Golden
4. Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
5. Circuital

I'm doing the same with Everest and will post in Other Music

Jim on acoustic for I'm Amazed. Very cool! Thanks. :thumbsup:
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

johnnYYac

I know this has been posted before, but for the newbies and those of us with short-term memory problems, here's a nice historical piece on early MMJ, inspired by the fact that I'm listening to The Helgeson Story right now...

Early Morning

This weekend, My Morning Jacket will make a triumphant homecoming, playing for thousands in their native city. It didn't start out that way, of course. We talked to the people who were there at the beginning.

Peter Berkowitz and Joseph Lord

My Morning Jacket leader Jim James wasn't always Jim James. To those who grew up with him, he was and will always be Jim Olliges of Hikes Point, Louisville, Ky. With MMJ poised to play its biggest Louisville show ever on Saturday at Waterfront Park, we take you back to the beginning, when a big gig meant playing for 20 friends at a local pizza parlor.

Ben Blandford played bass in Month of Sundays, a band he formed with Jim Olliges, Dave Givan and Aaron Todovich. Olliges and Todovich were the principal songwriters.

We all grew up together in Hikes Point. We went to school together. Around age 13 or 14, we just started talking about making music together, making a band. We didn't know what we were doing. We just started getting together at Dave Givan's house, in his garage, and found our instruments one way or another. Every week, whether it was 90 degrees or 10 degrees, we'd be in there.

Danny Cash was a friend of Olliges and Todovich, and later played keyboards in My Morning Jacket.

We went up to Highland Grounds on Baxter and saw his band play. It was Aaron and Jim and Aaron's older brother, Mike, singing. Their friends Ben and Dave were playing bass and drums. Any coffee shop back in the '90s was open to kids who would come in and buy an espresso. That was sophomore, junior year, maybe. 1992, '93, something like that. They were called Chains of My Own at that point -- it was a lot of spoken word from Aaron's brother, a real high school kind of thing. But then Aaron's brother said, "Um, I don't want to do this anymore." Aaron was, like, "I don't wanna do it," so Jim was the next in line to do vocals because he was already playing guitar. So he (Olliges) just kind of took over and they became Month of Sundays.

Ben Blandford

I think Jim was always interested in vocals. When we were kids, different people sang. I guess at some point, Jim was ready to be the vocalist. When you're 15 and you're on stage, 100 people looking at you, you'll be uncomfortable. The older Jim got, the more comfortable he got, and the more he was able to command that role as the front person for a band.

Read more here...

EasyRyder

Thank you for this one, Johnny. Some seriously heavy and emotional situations seem to have created what we know as My Morning Jacket today...I didn't know about half of that stuff.

I've always associated TTF with feelings of pain, or overcoming emotional pain- at least that's how I personally relate to it. Coming to know the early history definitely helps to understand that album or what led to it, and maybe even explain why the earliest tunes aren't played very often anymore.

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

johnnYYac

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill