More articles, interviews, and reviews

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 23, 2011, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingmept2

Did anyone catch this show tonight on Esquire? The last bit featured our favorite front man getting prepared for a solo show! :beer:

http://tv.esquire.com/videos/70713-how-i-rock-it-extended-first-look/

The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

rjlemons

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Nov 21, 2013, 12:20 AM
Did anyone catch this show tonight on Esquire? The last bit featured our favorite front man getting prepared for a solo show! :beer:

http://tv.esquire.com/videos/70713-how-i-rock-it-extended-first-look/
I saw it.  :thumbsup:

Here's the the sneak preview snippet with Jim: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/esquire-networks-how-i-rock-658321

Fully, he's bringing up his Smurfette style again.  :grin:

Mr. White

A few days ago, I got the December 2013 issue of "Louisville" magazine in the mail, and the cover included a line that said, "The City's All-Time Top Bands". I was very eager to open it up to see where the boys landed (I kind of knew they would be #1, and they were!). Here is a scan of the photo, and I just typed up the short review.

My Morning Jacket
(394 total points)

Z (2005)

"One Big Holiday"
"Off the Record"
"Victory Dance"

"Within the last decade, no band has represented our city with such ferociousness and dedication. And they made it the old-fashioned way, by writing some songs, getting in a van and playing to as many ears as they could. I think the band penetrated a lot of different genres and showed its versatility on its two most recent albums, Evil Urges and Circuital. The production and sound of those two really get to me. 'Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, Pt. 2,' off Evil Urges, continues to build and reaches a climax of 'Stairway to Heaven' proportions."
                                                                                            - Hunter Embry

Here is the rest of the list without the write-ups:
2. Stint
3. Tim Krekel
4. Will Oldham/Bonnie "Prince" Billy
5. Squirrel Bait
6. Bodeco
7. Kinghorse
8. Steve Ferguson
9. Rodan
10. Love Jones
11. Rachel's
12. Wax Fang
13. Lionel Hampton
14. Joan Osborne
15. Jimmy Raney
16. Louisville Orchestra
17. Soul, Inc.
18. Seluah
19. Shipping News
20. Crain
21. The Ladybirds
22. The Monarchs
23. Broken Spurs
24. New Grass Revival
25. Elliott

Undercard Bands:
King Kong
Endpoint
Endtables
VHS or Beta
Evergreen
Babylon Dance Band
Metroschifter
Freakwater
Pee Wee King and the Golden West
Fattlabb
Days of the New
The Moonglows
Nappy Roots
Cheyenne Mize
The Hill Sisters

Others who received fewer than 30 points but more than 20 points:
Big Wheel
The Bluegrass Alliance
Lydia Burrell
Cabin
Michael Cleveland
Coliseum
Cosmo and the Counts
The Deloreans
The Don Krekel Orchestra
The For Carnation
Gold Jacket Club
Helen Humes
Patty Loveless
Lee Luvisi
Clayton"Pappy" McMichen
Sara Martin
The Pass
She Might Bite
Dick Sisto
Ben Sollee
Static Major
Mary Travers
The Watson Twins
Sylvester Weaver
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

Quote from: tbear on Jan 30, 2014, 08:46 PM
Yup Bobby Loves MMJ - - has some really nice things to say in RS:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-weir-on-the-deads-50th-anniversary-we-owe-it-to-the-songs-20140130

"You sat in with My Morning Jacket during their One Big Holiday festival. How was that?"

"I had a ball with those guys this summer; they're a wonderful band. They're a rock band with a pedal steel in it. There aren't many of those. And they all listen to each other; they're not your classic jam band per se, but they can play. We had a bunch of fun and I'm looking forward to having a bunch more. And to boot, they're recording in Stinson Beach [California], right over the hill from where I am in Mill Valley, so I'm looking forward to going out there and raining on their parade a little bit."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

alienlanes

So does this mean that MMJ are not finished recording their new album yet then?

johnnYYac

Quote from: alienlanes on Feb 01, 2014, 01:20 PM
Some intel from folks at OBH talking to Carl? Bo? Tom? suggested they've recorded about 18 new songs so far and plan to return to Stinson Beach to record some more. I'm guessing the album will be a fall/winter release. Elsewhere, Tucker Martine on Instagram perhaps, I got the vibe they were done recording, done with that space, but now...

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rincon2

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 01, 2014, 04:39 PM
Quote from: alienlanes on Feb 01, 2014, 01:20 PM
Some intel from folks at OBH talking to Carl? Bo? Tom? suggested they've recorded about 18 new songs so far and plan to return to Stinson Beach to record some more. I'm guessing the album will be a fall/winter release. Elsewhere, Tucker Martine on Instagram perhaps, I got the vibe they were done recording, done with that space, but now...

Double studio album? :cheesy: