Rolling Stone article

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 25, 2011, 05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

Can someone please explain the logic of what is going on in this thread.  Posts are being deleted and/or edited, I'm assuming because they reference something that is published in what is actually a pretty popular magazine.  There hasn't been one disrespectful thing written, yet posts are mysteriously disappearing or edited.

the_wizzard

I am going to take a stab in the dark here...

This article is not available for free on RS's website.  One must be a registered user on their website (aka a paying subscriber to the mag).  TPTB at RS may not like that it is posted here....just a guess.

*Modification - I did not see the missing posts, so I am unsure if it has to do with information found in the article or posts.  But...it is a very personal interview and perhaps some people don't want their lives up on a forum for debate.  I sure as hell wouldn't want my life discussed and dissected on a website...

Jon T.

Quote from: the_wizzard on Jun 27, 2011, 06:25 PM

*Modification - I did not see the missing posts, so I am unsure if it has to do with information found in the article or posts.  But...it is a very personal interview and perhaps some people don't want their lives up on a forum for debate.  I sure as hell wouldn't want my life discussed and dissected on a website...

I understand but it's Rolling Stone!?!  Can't block it from everyone.  Was there stuff written that was supposed to be off the record?   Because not letting people talk about something that was published in the Rolling Stone seems really bizarre.  I'm just wondering - honestly.

the_wizzard

I think it simply boils down to this axiom:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Penny Lane

i still can't believe they've never been on the cover
just got my letter to the editor off! WTF Jann Wenner..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Elizanne33

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jun 27, 2011, 09:05 PM

They should definitely be on the cover. When I was at the T5 shows I stood behind a VIP area and David Fricke was there. A guy near me went over and asked him when MMJ were going to make the cover and his response was "they have to earn it".

blucas

MMJ has been getn lots of love from RS lately, mentioned several times in the last couple of issues.   :)  :)  :)
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

Penny Lane

yeah, David Fricke--I guess they haven't achieved as much as Snookie or Katy Perry..

That's what I mean, most writers at RS seems to really get it...just no cover YET.

Right now T&A sells more mags...Ky, as an employee of Hershey, you could have hooked the whole band up with Hersheys' assless chaps or something..? Totally outsold Katy Perry..

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bluesky

if performers like Katy Perry are the norm for RS covers than I'm fine with MMJ never being on the cover. If RS decided to be a rock mag again than they should definitely be on the cover
Quote from: Elizanne33 on Jun 27, 2011, 10:13 PM

They should definitely be on the cover. When I was at the T5 shows I stood behind a VIP area and David Fricke was there. A guy near me went over and asked him when MMJ were going to make the cover and his response was "they have to earn it".

kydiddle

Quote from: Elizanne33 on Jun 27, 2011, 10:13 PM

This cracks me up because I remember a RS cover of children of famous musicians. They obviously didn't have to earn anything.

And a far as Katie Perrys kiss bra....I am sure the family friendly Hershey Company didn't approve that product placement. Hahahah
Cow temperature.

ALady

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jun 27, 2011, 10:46 PM
That's what I mean, most writers at RS seems to really get it...just no cover YET.

That's the thing, they clearly have much love for MMJ, always have.

Someone start a Facebook group, that's how things get done these days   ;)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

MrB

"they have to earn it"
David Fricke always seems like a pretentious "a$$hole" with  a bad haircut.

Brian Hiatt, on the other hand, comes off as a real music fan.

As a 30+ year subscriber, I may have to cancel based on that comment alone!

I hope MMJ never earns it, if that means they have to "sell out" to get there.

woodnymph

How awesome is my mom!!!  She calls to tell me "I cut out this big interview in Rolling Stone for you when you come home, I know you love that My Morning Jacket!"  She's the woman, she cut me out thE huuuuuuge Dylan article that was recently in Rolling Stone too (70 Greatest Dylan Songs), and she was so on point with it ("Jim James is even quoted in the article, I saved the whole thing for you!")  It's so cool that she's actually been listening to me when I talk about them!

What a lady!!!  :-D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Hawkeye

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 25, 2011, 04:42 PM
How awesome is my mom!!!  She calls to tell me "I cut out this big interview in Rolling Stone for you when you come home, I know you love that My Morning Jacket!"  She's the woman, she cut me out thE huuuuuuge Dylan article that was recently in Rolling Stone too (70 Greatest Dylan Songs), and she was so on point with it ("Jim James is even quoted in the article, I saved the whole thing for you!")  It's so cool that she's actually been listening to me when I talk about them!

Woody I know what you mean!  It's great when you get feedback that people are actually listening.  I got this post on my Facebook wall the other day from my brother, that basically said:  "You got an iPhone?!  Have you heard the new My Morning Jacket CD?"  That's it.  He's in Afghanistan and we haven't talked in weeks, and the thing he brings up is the new MMJ album.

I think I converted him.  And he doesn't like most music I listen to.

Rolling Stone's cover choices...well, they just don't mean what they used to, that's for sure.  Let's just say if Dr. Hook was writing songs today, he wouldn't be writing "Cover of the Rolling Stone."  It would probably be something like "Most Like's on My Facebook Page."  What, today, is equivalent to being on the cover of RS in the 70's?
We could.

woodnymph

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jul 25, 2011, 05:10 PM

Woody I know what you mean!  It's great when you get feedback that people are actually listening.  I got this post on my Facebook wall the other day from my brother, that basically said:  "You got an iPhone?!  Have you heard the new My Morning Jacket CD?"  That's it.  He's in Afghanistan and we haven't talked in weeks, and the thing he brings up is the new MMJ album.

Rolling Stone's cover choices...well, they just don't mean what they used to, that's for sure.  Let's just say if Dr. Hook was writing songs today, he wouldn't be writing "Cover of the Rolling Stone."  It would probably be something like "Most Like's on My Facebook Page."  What, today, is equivalent to being on the cover of RS in the 70's?

Hahahahah sad but true.....

I love that story about your brother though!!  Such a rewarding feeling when it sinks in!!!  Double awesome that it was the main thing on his mind when he posted to you!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jul 25, 2011, 05:10 PM

I think you meant if Shel Silverstein were writing songs today.  ;)
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!