Best Dylan Live Recordings

Started by sweatboard, Jul 04, 2011, 04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I just got Hard Rain the other day and I love it.  It's not as good  of a recording but I think it has more life than The Rolling Thunder Review bootleg series album.  I also have Before the Flood I think the performances are awesome but I'm not crazy about the recording.

Anyway help me out....

Vinyl -
CD -
Bootleg -
DVD -
There's Still Time.........

davymac

I just got 49 Dylan albums yesterday but have only listened to the MTV unplugged, which is sweet but I'll get back to you after I get some more listening time in

sweatboard

Awesome thanks!  How is unplugged I've heard it great and I've also heard it's just phoned in.

Tracy 2112

Are you talking about Bob Dylan?
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sweatboard

Dylan Leblanc......douche

get with it.

sweatboard

Really any Dylan though

Leblanc
Thomas
Bob
McDermott

buaawwww

For me it's far and away the Bootleg Series Royal Albert Hall show.  I actually destroyed the CD from playing too much and had to purchase another copy of it. 

Also if you bought the Witmark Demos you got this bonus bootleg CD from Brandeis University 1963 that has quite possibly the greatest version of Ballad of Hollis Brown I have EVER heard.

Shug

You already got my two fave official live Dylan recordings, Hard Rain and Before The Flood.  Hard Rain captures amazing performances, just really intense and spirited vocals from Bob, but the sound is not perfect.  I still LOVE that album through and through, though.  Before The Flood has a similar intensity (how about the nasty, spitting Its Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding!).  I kinda wish Garth Hudson was using a more organic keyboard sound, but the Band backing Dylan is killer in my book.  You can get more recordings of that tour from Wolfgang's Vault, but I cannot attest to their sound quality.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/bob-dylan-and-the-band/concerts/boston-garden-january-14-1974.html

The previously mentioned "Royal Albert Hall" 1966 stuff is also essential.

I have a vinyl bootleg from a show in Germany in 1979 or 1980 on one of the "gospel" tours and this show opened with a smoking good Like A Rolling Stone.  There's nothing quite like when a band lays out their ace in the hole right off the bat.  You gotta have balls to pull off that maneuver.  Not sure if he was doing that the whole tour or just this show, but its pretty great.  don't know the exact date or city or year off the top of my head, though, sorry.

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

davymac

Royal Albert Hall is awesome, I've been listening to it a good bit.  Blood on the Tracks is a good one too...Essential Bob and Greatest hits you cant go wrong with either.  I have been listening to Nashville Skyline too, but thats just me!

woodnymph

Yeaaaap... *clears throat*....

Pretty sure this one's up near the top somewhere................

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rock-fans-outraged-as-bob-dylan-goes-electronica,17699/

:-X :-X :-X
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time