My Morning Jacket In Europe

Started by Tommy.Young, Jul 13, 2011, 01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy.Young

Fellow friends, I'm a fan of My Morning Jacket since "At Dawn", and I'm Portuguese.

Here, in bloody Europe, My Morning Jacket are seen as a decidedly smaller band, are given a lot of bad reviews by the press (for example the portuguese press, and the british also), who considerate Beady Eye and Arctic Monkeys as the best of the best, even if their albums are a lot worst.

What is your opinion? Are My Morning Jacket a band who contribute to music all over the world, with their unique vision of beauty, or are they really a smaller band, in the shadow of bands such as Fleet Foxes?

If so, how can My Morning Jacket change this?
:dankk2:
MMJ be praised

e_wind

In the shadow of Fleet Foxes?

Fleet Foxes just released their first EP 9 Years after The Tennessee Fire came out. I mean I know they're getting big but are they really getting that big?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Crispy

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
In the shadow of Fleet Foxes?

Fleet Foxes just released their first EP 9 Years after The Tennessee Fire came out. I mean I know they're getting big but are they really getting that big?
I was about to say something like this, but along the lines of Fleet Foxes releasing their record about when MMJ was playing Radio City and MSG. (FF did have a EP in 2006, not widely released tho, I think)

If MMJ finds themselves in the shadow of Fleet Foxes in Europe these days, SBB should worry.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Tommy.Young

Here in Europe they are well known and appreciated.
I saw them at Optimus Alive (Fleet Foxes), and I really like them, and their philosophy of the modern world.
But My Morning Jacket are icons to me, and all over the world I see people saying that they are copying and taking advantage of this "new folk" thing, and it just makes me mad to see them diminishing the potential of such a great band
MMJ be praised

e_wind

I'm pretty sure that MMJ are standardly credited with reviving this "new folk" thing. I've read multiple articles that call Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, Avi Buffalo, etc Jim James' followers

Tommy.Young

I've read the contrary. For example, I think it was NME, regarding Circuital, they say that MMJ take advantage of the gate open by Fleet Foxes. I think it was NME
MMJ be praised

e_wind

well apparently NME isn't aware of The Tennessee Fire.......

.... which was released in 1999.

Tracy 2112

Here in my living room My Morning Jacket rules the universe. That's all I really care about

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

Tommy.Young

Honestly I don't care about the music critics. I just want to have a beard like Jim James, and that MMJ came to Portugal (and supporting Pearl Jam doesn't count)
MMJ be praised

Jon T.

Well, you can tell NME, and the whole country o' Europe, they can kiss my ass.  MMJ rulz, baby!  MMJ RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULZ!

jk Tommy - welcome!

SaraBananaBear

Nononono, back this up! Red alert! The Swedish press LOVE MMJ, okay? There was this really nice feature in a music magazine just recently, I'll scan it next week so you can see! Even though it will only read bork, bork, bork... :thumbsup: Though there's a problem with people not knowing about MMJ at all, but I'm trying to turn as many new fans as I possibly can... one music vampire bite at the time! Mwahaha! :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

BH

The important thing Tommy Young, is "How does My Morning Jacket make YOU feel?" 
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Tommy.Young

They give me the best feeling that humans can feel. And that's what bugs me here in Europe. People don't appreciate a band with so much potential to create feelings in a way that you cannot possible even start to describe.
Doesn't that make you angry?
MMJ be praised

peafunk31

Quote from: Tommy.Young on Jul 13, 2011, 06:00 PM
They give me the best feeling that humans can feel. And that's what bugs me here in Europe. People don't appreciate a band with so much potential to create feelings in a way that you cannot possible even start to describe.

Not angry but enlightened ;) We're better off not having the mindless masses shower the band with praises because the critics/press deem them the "in" thing. It should make you feel good that you get it. I think it means that you actually have a soul
Homer no function beer well without.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Tommy.Young on Jul 13, 2011, 06:00 PM

I don't think it's that people don't appreciate it, but rather that they haven't even heard it yet.
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Ruckus

Just be glad that besides festivals, they only play small venues across the pond. :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head