Traditional folk/folk-rock groups

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Jul 14, 2011, 03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

I know pretty much everyone here has a warm spot for all types of folk music and was wondering about traditional British folk groups and who like who here.  My own particular favorites (in order):

1) Streeleye Span--Maddy Prior has one of the greatest voices and if you have any affinity for mandolin just lend an ear to "The Mooncoin Jig" from their "Now We Are Six" album!
2) Fairport Convention--Another incomparable female voice in Sandy Denny (hello "Battle of Nevermore"? anybody?) and Richard Thompson axing it up:  a formula for folk bliss.
3) Silly Wizard--dumb name but some great tunes and capable players here as well.

Anybody else on this bus?  I love the stories embedded in this music and always prick up my ears at the strains of a mandy... :)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

wolof7

Loudon Wainwright III....more of the singer songwriter but always filed under folk and once thought of the next big thing since Dylan....that didn't pan out but his music is awesome.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

rincon

Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Jul 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
I know pretty much everyone here has a warm spot for all types of folk music and was wondering about traditional British folk groups and who like who here.  My own particular favorites (in order):

1) Streeleye Span--Maddy Prior has one of the greatest voices and if you have any affinity for mandolin just lend an ear to "The Mooncoin Jig" from their "Now We Are Six" album!
2) Fairport Convention--Another incomparable female voice in Sandy Denny (hello "Battle of Nevermore"? anybody?) and Richard Thompson axing it up:  a formula for folk bliss.
3) Silly Wizard--dumb name but some great tunes and capable players here as well.

Anybody else on this bus?  I love the stories embedded in this music and always prick up my ears at the strains of a mandy... :)
Battle of Evermore.  Sandy Denny was a vocal goddess. Similar to me is Natalie Merchant. Sometimes the music just got in the way of their voices.

dragonboy

Pentangle? Bert Jensch is Neil Young's favourite guitarist, seeing them live next month...

pentangle - willy o winsbury
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.