Cheap poster frames?

Started by itrainmonkeys, Jul 18, 2011, 12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itrainmonkeys

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before/a lot.....but I'm in need of finding some relatively cheap poster frames and wondering if any of you could help point me in the right direction. I have a few nice ones but they aren't in the budget at the moment. I have a bunch of posters piling up (a few MMJ, a few others) and want to start putting them in a frame. I don't mind the cheap, plastic kinds with cardboard backs or anything.....just wanted to see if there were any suggestions. Usually i'd pick up my cheap frames at target or something.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks  :D

Penny Lane

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Jul 18, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before/a lot.....but I'm in need of finding some relatively cheap poster frames and wondering if any of you could help point me in the right direction. I have a few nice ones but they aren't in the budget at the moment. I have a bunch of posters piling up (a few MMJ, a few others) and want to start putting them in a frame. I don't mind the cheap, plastic kinds with cardboard backs or anything.....just wanted to see if there were any suggestions. Usually i'd pick up my cheap frames at target or something.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks  :D

i got temporary ones at wallmart.com and I think HH got his at Michaels (the craft store?)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

itrainmonkeys

I'll have to check Walmart. Thanks for the tip.

rusty95

Michaels or hobby lobby run routine sales on their frames.  decent quality 18x24 wood and glass frames normally 40 bucks but once a month for a week you can get 40 to 50 % off.  I usually pay about 20.

My new thing though is yardsales and flea markets.  Have your measurements and a tape measure.  You can pick up some very unique frames for cheap.
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

WSS2

if you don't really care what they look like, defnitely hit amazon, they have some decent frames that are sub 20....can't beat that

itrainmonkeys

Don't know how long it's going on for but I found some decent ones on Amazon.com. 81% off (only $13). I searched for "18x24 poster frame" and you should see the many great deals that company is running right now.

JDUB

I just picked up this frame from Target for $16.99. It's a very nice inexpensive frame. They are sold out online. My concern (which I just wrote in a different post) is will the nice screen prints and serigraphs that we get from MMJ concerts be in danger of long term damage from the inexpensive frames.

http://www.target.com/Room-Essentials-Poster-Frame/dp/B002VTP3GE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=18x24%20frame&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-7&qid=1311646601&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Room%20Essentials%20Poster%20Frame&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

the_wizzard

Quote from: JDUB on Jul 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
My concern (which I just wrote in a different post) is will the nice screen prints and serigraphs that we get from MMJ concerts be in danger of long term damage from the inexpensive frames.
The short answer is yes.  This frame is for posters, not prints.  Treat your screen prints and serigraphs like art.  You don't want them butted up against the glass or plexiglass.  You need to matte your prints to give them space.  Or a good framer will know how to use spacers if you don't like the look of mattes or are on a budget.  Best to save your pennies and frame your prints nicely, one at a time if need be.  I get a lot of groupons and the like to save money on framing.  And we have more prints than we will ever have room for on our walls.  Those are stored in a portfolio, between acid free paper.

BigHerm

Quote from: the_wizzard on Jul 25, 2011, 11:18 PM
Quote from: JDUB on Jul 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
My concern (which I just wrote in a different post) is will the nice screen prints and serigraphs that we get from MMJ concerts be in danger of long term damage from the inexpensive frames.
You don't want them butted up against the glass or plexiglass.  You need to matte your prints to give them space

I wanted to get a frame like this for my next poster:

Guessing it's a bad idea after reading your post? These are acrylic...

subinai

this might be a dumb question: is there any harm in storing them in the tubes they were shipped in? I don't have the wall space to have everything framed and hung.

oistheone

I'm right with ya man! Was just starting to worry about all these prints I've had rolled for months now...

johnnYYac

I'm no expert, but it seems most folks regard storing these prints flat the best way to go.

With advice from forum poster gurus, I purchased this 18 x 24 portfolio, so all of my unframed prints are flat.

http://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-Evolution-Storage-Display/dp/B000H7N4H2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1311707483&sr=8-8

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

subinai

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 26, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'm no expert, but it seems most folks regard storing these prints flat the best way to go.

With advice from forum poster gurus, I purchased this 18 x 24 portfolio, so all of my unframed prints are flat.

http://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-Evolution-Storage-Display/dp/B000H7N4H2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1311707483&sr=8-8

oh awesome. that looks pretty legit.

e_wind

I store all mine flat, but I need to get a real portfolio that's acid free. I also have some prints in shitty frames, but I have the inentions of upgrading as I can afford it

John, you must have some good prints if the two unframed ones you show are those.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 26, 2011, 03:41 PM
I store all mine flat, but I need to get a real portfolio that's acid free. I also have some prints in shitty frames, but I have the inentions of upgrading as I can afford it

John, you must have some good prints if the two unframed ones you show are those.
As soon as I snapped the picture, I thought, "I need to get these framed!" 

I gotta say, I struggle with the "proper" framing of these prints.  I like collecting certain posters and hope to frame as many as wall space allows.  Still, I struggle with paying more for the frame than I did for the print.  As an example, the "sale price" estimate on framing the Burwell below was $95.   

Eric, it appears Expresso Beans has a way for me to put my collection into a PDF, so you can see what I've got here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7I01G8SY

e_wind

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 26, 2011, 04:14 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Jul 26, 2011, 03:41 PM

As soon as I snapped the picture, I thought, "I need to get these framed!" 

I gotta say, I struggle with the "proper" framing of these prints.  I like collecting certain posters and hope to frame as many as wall space allows.  Still, I struggle with paying more for the frame than I did for the print.  As an example, the "sale price" estimate on framing the Burwell below was $95.   

yeah that is outrageous. I don't think I've ever payed more than 60$ for a print other than the artist edition of the MSG Burwell and that was a gift (which I still see hanging in my girlfriends house and wish I would've bought her something else and kept it for myself  ;) )

I recently just got the newest Branjo Farms print, which I hung in a 12$ silver Target frame, and all three of my Burwells (Pearl Jam, Edgefeild, and LOST print) are in 20$ frames. Though, I have 2 prints in really really nice frames that we're both framed as a gift. So basically, I've never spend a lot on a frame. When I finally move into a permanent place, and not an apartment, I'll probably pick 3 or 4 of my favorite prints and only hang those, and thats when ill get more framed better.

mahg33ta

Quote from: subinai on Jul 26, 2011, 03:33 PM

Show off!  ;D

e_wind

Seriously, John I feel like you don't own a ton of prints, but all the ones you do own are the shit. (the one with the bear and the bats, all the burwells, EU T5)

johnnYYac

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jul 26, 2011, 04:37 PM
Quote from: subinai on Jul 26, 2011, 03:33 PM

Show off!  ;D
Yeah, it is a nice portfolio.

oistheone

I'm seriously considering picking one of these up --- forty extra bucks to ship one of those bad ass portfolios to Canada, but I'm betting that it's worth it to prevent permanent damage to my prints from tube storage.