MMJ - Band Name

Started by smhoffmann02, Jul 07, 2011, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smhoffmann02

Ok, MMJ peeps - educate me about the band name.  I appreciate your thoughtful insight...
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

One version...

from What's in a band name? Here are the stories behind the monikers

My Morning Jacket

Formed in 1998 in Louisville, Kentucky, My Morning Jacket are purveyors of psychedelic hippie rock and the story behind their name has a element of the surreal and romantic that rivals any other you will hear. Years ago, while lead singer Jim James was visiting his old friends, his favourite student-hangout bar suddenly burnt down. When he arrived at the scene he wandered amongst the charred remains and came upon a discarded jacket. Inside the jacket were the stitched initials "MMJ", which James took to mean "My Morning Jacket", and liked.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Also...

from For My Morning Jacket, It's The Music That Matters

Asked about the inspiration for their name, the two young men displayed their sense of humor. "My Morning Jacket? Isn't that a brand of cigarettes?" Quaid asked.

"I could tell you a load of bullshit about our name, but I am not going to," James said. "There are just some things that are meant for us and there are other things that are meant to be shared with the public. Our name and the name of the studio is for us; the music is for the public." — Rebekah J. Zietz [Monday, Sept. 29, 2003]

johnnYYac

Hawkeye

Okay, so I'm getting one of my friends into this band...we're going to Columbus show...and she insists I ask:  Has anyone seen "THE Jacket?"  The one with the MMJ initials that Jim found (per the widely talked about band-name-genesis story)...does it exist?  Did Jim even keep it, or just leave it there in the rubble?  Anyone know?  The type of jacket changes in my mind each time I think about that story:  black denim with a fur collar...black leather bomber jacket...green army-looking jacket, etc...
We could.

smhoffmann02

Hawkeye, tell your girl to brace herself.  Her MMJ spiritual journey is about to begin.  It changes the soul and she will be ever grateful to you.

Tieoptional

The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

TheRoof

Thanks for that! Good stuff!!!
You Are Everything

smhoffmann02

Awesome  :D.  They sure say a lot for not having anything to say.

buster douglas

Jim James was 5 years old in 1983...