Jim altering lyrics during shows?

Started by APR, Jul 21, 2011, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

I don't know of too many instances where Jim changes up the lyrics when singing live.  Is it common and I'm just missing it? 

I thought of it because I just noticed that during One Big Holiday from the T5 downloads he sings, "distorted all the sounds" instead of "recorded all the sounds."  Any other examples come to mind? 

I think it's cool and interesting when singers change the words during shows as their mood may change when singing live or the song meaning could have changed compared to when they wrote it.

Tutofqueens

This will have to be verified but I'm pretty sure ever since MMJs unstaged performance he now says "peanut butter Pulitzer Prize" during Highly Suspicious.

Crispy

Quote from: APR on Jul 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
I don't know of too many instances where Jim changes up the lyrics when singing live.  Is it common and I'm just missing it? 

I thought of it because I just noticed that during One Big Holiday from the T5 downloads he sings, "distorted all the sounds" instead of "recorded all the sounds."  Any other examples come to mind? 

I think it's cool and interesting when singers change the words during shows as their mood may change when singing live or the song meaning could have changed compared to when they wrote it.

That line seems to have permanently changed to "distorted all those sounds" in live performances.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

e_wind

i think IWSYS is now "fill your heart and soul with cheer" instead of beer
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

joey_rogo

there is a part, in the 2003 austin texas dvd thingy floating around, where jim sings a line during a song that is not what it should be. it might be during steam, or pww, or something. but it's there.

plus, at mnt jam, jim did all sorts of crazy during steam, to honor a recent passing.

Goose24

Quote from: joey_rogo on Jul 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
there is a part, in the 2003 austin texas dvd thingy floating around, where jim sings a line during a song that is not what it should be. it might be during steam, or pww, or something. but it's there.

plus, at mnt jam, jim did all sorts of crazy during steam, to honor a recent passing.

yeah he threw in some Gil Scot Heron lyrics cause he had died a few days earlier.

johnnYYac

Are we sure lyrics are being changed or is it just his style, where lyrics are often not very clearly sung?  I think about the lyrics from Steam Engine and One Big Holiday, among other examples.  I know the lyrics, but listening to any version of these tracks, live or studio, you'd never guess that is what he is singing.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BigHerm

I always thought he had changed the lyrics at the beginning of "Tyrone" to be

See Everytime you come around
You got to bring Jim James, Paul, & Tyrone

But just now looking at the lyrics it's actually

See Everytime you come around
You got to bring Jim, James, Paul, & Tyrone

:o

Crispy

Nice catch on that comma, Herm.  :thumbsup:

Well, how bout that -- going through the recordings I have from the last year, it seems "distorted" replaces "recorded" about half the time:

MPP 2010:                 distorted
Nashville 4-21-2010: recorded
Chicago 8-17-2010:  distorted
T5 2010:                   distorted
Wakarusa 2011:       recorded
Mountain Jam:          recorded
Chicago 6-17-2011:  distorted

Not a large enough sample to be significant, to be sure, but that's all I got.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

BonusSandwich

Yeah its PWW

2:50 on this video...

My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West (6/3/03)

APR

Thanks for the info.  YYac:  True..... sometimes it's not possible to descipher what is being sung and then it's anyone's guess.

e_wind

Quote from: BonusSandwich on Jul 22, 2011, 09:45 AM

Yeah its PWW

2:50 on this video...

My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West (6/3/03)

damn i have no idea what he's saying but thats cool

rincon

"Its not the words that he sings" . His voice is just another instrument. No different than a change in musical arrangement. At least that is how I perceive him.

Schmokenvontoken

i've definitely noticed a lot of improv going on in the lyrical department.
more and more frequently as of late, in Milwaukee he was doing all sorts of anecdotes in addition.  in steam engine, i can't remember exactly where it was, but he changes the pronouns.
like "all the proof I need" and "all the proof you need"
-> reminds me a lot of Dylan who changes his songs with every live performance. whether for aesthetic effect or significant meaning it happens with all the ever-evolving artists.  "Tangled Up in Blue" is the best example I can think of, because it was written about his ex-wife, and changes the "early one morning the sun was shining..." and i've heard versions with "(I)(he) was laying in bed. Wonderin if (you'd)(she'd) changed at all.  If (your)(her) was still red. Her folks they said (our)(their) lives together sure were gonna be rough..."
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

RastaRunner5

I think yim sang "Jesus" in Steam Engine in Philly 2010 at Penn's Landing River Stage

e_wind

I swear the steam engine in Chicago this year Yim was singing lyrics at the end that aren't in the song

1eyed_jack

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 24, 2011, 07:23 PM
I swear the steam engine in Chicago this year Yim was singing lyrics at the end that aren't in the song

Absolutely! It's hard to make out what he's saying, but it's definitely words and not just noises. It was a very nice addition to an incredible  version of steam engine!

trippin from shroomin

Philly show Sept of last year end of Touch Me Part 1 Jim just makes a bunch of Michael Jackson esq sounds. Awesome version as well.

Angry Ewok

Quote from: trippin from shroomin on Jul 30, 2011, 10:19 PM
Philly show Sept of last year end of Touch Me Part 1 Jim just makes a bunch of Michael Jackson esq sounds. Awesome version as well.

His little sporadic orgasm sounds kind of remind me of Purple Rain more than Michael Jackson.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.