8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance

Started by Tracy 2112, Aug 01, 2011, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 01, 2011, 02:06 PM
pretty good read

http://www.alternet.org/story/151850/8_reasons_young_americans_don%27t_fight_back_--_how_the_us_crushed_youth_resistance?page=1
A little oversimplified but interesting for a brief opinion piece.  I don't know.  Maybe I found it a good read because I agree with almost all of it.  Perhaps it's pacification now but there is always a tipping point, whether it be 50 years apart or 6 months apart between acts of agitation.  Maybe access to so much information regarding any combative issue gives one enough perspective from multiple angles to dampen the will to singularly fight for an idea/issue.

My only form of rebellion over the last12 years has been to never vote for a donkey or elephant in any election.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 01, 2011, 02:26 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 01, 2011, 02:06 PM
pretty good read

http://www.alternet.org/story/151850/8_reasons_young_americans_don%27t_fight_back_--_how_the_us_crushed_youth_resistance?page=1
A little oversimplified but interesting for a brief opinion piece.  I don't know.  Maybe I found it a good read because I agree with almost all of it.  Perhaps it's pacification now but there is always a tipping point, whether it be 50 years apart or 6 months apart between acts of agitation.  Maybe access to so much information regarding any combative issue gives one enough perspective from multiple angles to dampen the will to singularly fight for an idea/issue.

My only form of rebellion over the last12 years has been to never vote for a donkey or elephant in any election.

Well, the only real youth led movement ever was the hippies and the Love generation. You have had stuff come and go (punks, metal heads, goth kids) but no real collective youth movemement. I believe corporate America saw the youth movement of the 60's as a way to make money, and then make money on these people as they became parents; turn their culture and music into marketing devices whereas now it's "cool" to be part of the machine. I always loved Rage Against the Machine and their stance against corporate America, however, at the end of the day, some executive at Sony was signing their checks and making money off the "rebellion".
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

you make a good point about RATM taking checks from the executives.  Michael Moore said something about being against these big production companies and in most cases his movies are against the companies own interests politically but in the end they make a shitload off of Michael Moore's documentaries so they produce them.  Moore said as long as the dbags keep giving him money he'll keep making movies basically.  RATM, at least their first two albums, were in a similar boat I think.  even tho they were against the big labels they still stood up against censorship pretty hardcore in the mid 90's.  not movements tho.  no real youth movement since vietnam. 

the largest movement of the last couple decades are these tea party douchebags.  the right rallied the old people.  it's the old people protesting more than anything.  protesting with their stupid guns and hoverrounds.   I'll check the article out.  thanks for posting.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

pudding.

wtf?  C-e-n-s-o-r-s-h-i-p = pudding now?  what's with this bullshit CC?

YouAre_GivenToFly

LOL the fact that censo.rship has a word filter on it for pudding is actually kind of funny.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Aug 01, 2011, 09:52 PM
LOL the fact that censo.rship has a word filter on it for pudding is actually kind of funny.

doesn't it make you want to rise up and start some random fires?

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Aug 01, 2011, 10:06 PM

yeah, but you're not going to; living example of why this article is relevant.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 02, 2011, 02:25 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Aug 01, 2011, 10:06 PM

yeah, but you're not going to; living example of why this article is relevant.

mass apathy has been used as an excuse for years.  the article makes some good points but overall it's sensationalism at best.  just my opinion. 

bowl of soup

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

bowl of soup

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

MarkW

The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

MarkW

The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

MarkW

woodnymph

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

el_chode

While I generally agree (though I find AlterNet to be a bit tin-foily and over-dramatic at times), I'd add one thing and put a limit on another:

1) Social Media/erosion of privacy. People expect privacy, but the generation in control refuses to acknowledge it (slowly, they're coming around as they're learning the same lessons). The notion that a generation that has moved a good amount of its private acts online does a lot to limit their social freedom in meatspace as all of a sudden what would be off-limits for one generation becomes fair game for another. This may extend to political activism.

2) Student debt only goes so far. If there's no jobs to be had for the educated with the debt, then they've got nothing to lose. If I'm not mistaken, that was a major spur for the Egypt uprising

censorship
I'm surrounded by assholes