Stepping out a bit

Started by boonsey, Jun 09, 2010, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonsey

Does anybody think that Yimmy and the crew would ever step out of their boundry and play some bluegrass material? Now I know it's not part of their repertoire, but with how talented each member is and how well they play together, I could see them reaching another pinnacle in their career with covering such a rustic genre. Thoughts and feedback would be great!

capt. scotty

I think they could easily pull off putting a bluegrass song or 2 on an album, and play a live one every show or so, a la Phish

How their sound has progressed over the last couple albums would make it seem more out of place than it would have on the first 3 albums though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Erik26

I agree with The Captain. I think that if it could fit onto a new album they might. But at the same time they have been trying to shake the 'southern rockers' thing for quite some time. I guess saying 'trying to shake' was a bit wrong. More like proving they are so much more than southern rockers.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

johnnYYac

I'm not sure what defines bluegrass, but thought I heard some bluegrass-y vocals on my morning listen to The Tennessee Fire this morning.  I can't tell you which tracks as I sleep-drive to work each morning.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Tracy 3000

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

wakebord

well i might be in the minority here, but i've always been a proponent of them going back to an "it still moves" sound.  i would love to be at that night for the new york show.  but i think that the fact that they have become rock n roll kings means that its going to be more Z and Evil Urges straight forward rocking.  And thats a-ok too :)

AMightyCaporal

Quotewell i might be in the minority here, but i've always been a proponent of them going back to an "it still moves" sound.  i would love to be at that night for the new york show.  but i think that the fact that they have become rock n roll kings means that its going to be more Z and Evil Urges straight forward rocking.  And thats a-ok too :)

I disagree- I think that they will go wherever they feel like they need/want to go to remain happy and interested in making music.  If that means a journey back to older stuff, then that's where they'll head.  It doesn't matter what the public calls them or wants- they know the true fans will remain fans.  Besides, if they only did what the public wanted, they would be headed back to the older albums... I think a lot of people, on here especially, prefer those
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

wakebord

Quotewell i might be in the minority here, but i've always been a proponent of them going back to an "it still moves" sound.  i would love to be at that night for the new york show.  but i think that the fact that they have become rock n roll kings means that its going to be more Z and Evil Urges straight forward rocking.  And thats a-ok too :)

I disagree- I think that they will go wherever they feel like they need/want to go to remain happy and interested in making music.  If that means a journey back to older stuff, then that's where they'll head.  It doesn't matter what the public calls them or wants- they know the true fans will remain fans.  Besides, if they only did what the public wanted, they would be headed back to the older albums... I think a lot of people, on here especially, prefer those

well i'd welcome something that is older sounding and has some more expansive jamming.  i remember an article though where (i think) tommy said that recording an album as long as it still moves was very tiring.  (but gawd it was worth it)