What is the “Yesterday” of today?

Started by thebrainy, Aug 10, 2011, 09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrainy

The AV Club section of The Onion has a column about what song is the "Yesterday" of today, and I was surprised when Golden was suggested.  Here is the exert:

My Morning Jacket, "Golden"
Okay, this one's a bit of a reach. Since its appearance on My Morning Jacket's 2003 album It Still Moves, the sunny acoustic ballad "Golden" hasn't exactly become a world-beating monster smash. But it sure has been covered a bunch: by the band America on its 2007 comeback album Here & Now, by jazzbo Marco Benevento on his 2009 LP Me Not Me, by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals in concert, and so on. And while MMJ is already plenty popular, "Golden" seems like the kind of song geared to propel the band beyond the "epic Southern-rock jam" crowd. The right cover version or placement on the right movie soundtrack could revive "Golden," making it the breakout hit it always should've been. (The same could be said of any of about a dozen Ryan Adams songs.)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/what-is-the-yesterday-of-today,60168/

I don't think it works because of the criteria.  It is not world-wide known as mentioned, and I also don't think it changed the perception of My Morning Jacket since they seemed capable of something like it from previous albums, but I like the thought of it being today's "Yesterday".

And yes, he did use the phrase "Southern-rock jam".

Thoughts?

Tracy 2112

Yesterday isn't a sunny, acoustic ballad, so I'm not sure it fits at all.

Movin' Away is more the Yesterday of today.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

thebrainy

I should add the criteria from the article:

To be the new "Yesterday," a song would need to meet more than one of the following criteria:

-Massive, crossover popularity
-Frequently covered
-Changed the perception of the artist

So the song does not have to fit the mood of "Yesterday", just these items.

rincon

Quote from: thebrainy on Aug 10, 2011, 09:50 AM
I should add the criteria from the article:

To be the new "Yesterday," a song would need to meet more than one of the following criteria:

-Massive, crossover popularity
-Frequently covered
-Changed the perception of the artist

So the song does not have to fit the mood of "Yesterday", just these items.
I hate to say it, but by that criteria, that Green Day song, played at every teenage milestone, seems to fit the bill. I don't know if it has been covered much, but I suspect it has.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon on Aug 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
I hate to say it, but by that criteria, that Green Day song, played at every teenage milestone, seems to fit the bill. I don't know if it has been covered much, but I suspect it has.

winner
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.