Unidentified Black Males

Started by el_chode, Aug 19, 2011, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Honest Man works about 2 blocks from my apartment. 2 blocks away from both of us, sort of forming an equilateral triangle, a woman was gunned down the other night. It's crazy because this is an old factory town of working class people, the kind of place where the biggest crime is someone egging my car. The gunshots woke me up from my sleep and made my dog have diarrhea all over the living room. The details are pretty crazy, here's the latest:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/husband_of_woman_murdered_in_b.html#affidavit

It's made national news from what I can tell so far - NYT, WSJ, LA Times, etc. It's the sort of thing destined for a dateline special.

ANYWAY, the part I find amusing is this - my town was featured in the Sopranos quite a bit, both as a real and fictional location. In "Unidentified Black Males", the 9th ep of 5 season of the Sopranos, the characters blame various crimes on phantom black guys. One of those crimes (the murder of Jackie Jr) took place in Boonton. The guy charged w/ murder today also blamed it on unidentified black males. This is also the episode that sets up Vito's escape to NH, which was filmed here as well (up the street).

That's my cool story.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Honest Man

Lots of weird characters in and around Boonton(except for us of course and any jacket fans in morris county). I'm just glad I got to see the town maniac interviewed on tv. All the coppers from the surrounding towns were in town today as well - Butler, Kinnelon etc.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

that sucks that happened.  I hate gun violence.

it's crazy that story made national news tho.  last weekend this happened in detroit:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110813/NEWS01/110813021/A-day-s-gunfire-Detroit-15-people-shot-including-6-dead

all in one day, multiple events.  didn't make national news.  if they were all by the same shooter it would be plastered all over network news but since it happened in detroit and was multiple events it's not worth paying attention to I guess.  it was basically a massacre last weekend.  wish Detroit would get the same exposure that other places get.  it sickens me to be honest.  most of the reason detroit sucks is because it's ignored by the rest of the country.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

sorry went off the rails with it.  get a shotgun.  best home defense you can have.  sorry your dog popped everywhere.

el_chode

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Aug 19, 2011, 07:06 PM

it's crazy that story made national news tho.  last weekend this happened in detroit:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110813/NEWS01/110813021/A-day-s-gunfire-Detroit-15-people-shot-including-6-dead

all in one day, multiple events.  didn't make national news.  if they were all by the same shooter it would be plastered all over network news but since it happened in detroit and was multiple events it's not worth paying attention to I guess.  it was basically a massacre last weekend.  wish Detroit would get the same exposure that other places get.  it sickens me to be honest.  most of the reason detroit sucks is because it's ignored by the rest of the country.

its only news because of the love triangle and setting. i work in newark. we had 26 shooting in 2 week, though their aim is getting worse because not as many fatalities. that is a footnote in the news.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Aug 19, 2011, 07:06 PM

its only news because of the love triangle and setting. i work in newark. we had 26 shooting in 2 week, though their aim is getting worse because not as many fatalities. that is a footnote in the news.

the love triangle angle is sexy, I won't deny that.