Stereo foibles

Started by johnconaway, Nov 15, 2004, 11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

yo, blew out my oldie but goodie speakers this weekend.  damn bass must've been too high!

any suggestions on replacements?  need something cheap, 100 watts or more...somewhat smallish in size.

i'm usually a pioneer man, but willing to swing.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Hawkeye

Anyone here a speaker repair whiz?  I've got a pair of Klipsch SF-3 floorstanders that they only made from 2003-2004.  Apparently no parts are available...at least I haven't found any yet.  The speakers themselves seem hard to come by too...

Anyway, I think mine has a bad crossover or something.  The crossover is a PC board, so I'm thinking I'll either need to try to make something more "analog" or try to source a crossover (highly unlikely).

So far the symptoms:
- left speaker much quieter than right speaker and woofers not working in that speaker

Tried switching lead wires to the speakers...problem stayed with the speaker, so it's not the amp or the lead wires.  It's definitely the speaker itself.  I haven't tried switching crossover boards yet...I think that is the next logical step.

Any thoughts/help would be sweetpickles.  The speakers sound great when working properly!  The right speaker still sounds great lol...my receiver is kinda sketchy..it's newer, but it cuts out a lot when it gets too hot...I don't think the receiver's cooling fan has ever worked since I got it back in '03.  Post yer speaker problems here!
We could.

Jaimoe

Quality speakers are basically made in the US, Canada, Germany and the UK. Look at brands and where they were made and go on from there.

kotchishm

I have a pair of 10 year old Bose 301's, the new ones are pricey (328 for pair on Amazon) but if you can find a used pair I love them. 

These are the model I have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSE-301-Series-IV-Home-Direct-Reflecting-Speaker-Set-/250886365141?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3a69fe1fd5

Could've sworn they were more than 75W though
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Hawkeye

Was looking more for speaker repair tips than speakers to buy, but hey, that's cool too!  I just hate to get rid of these speakers that are "only" 8 years old and had a list price near $1000 when I bought them.  Seems wasteful.  The speakers and cabinets themselves are still in great shape, it's just that damn crossover board (I think).  That part of our culture today sickens me...don't fix anything, just buy new...it's good for the economy, right?!  So wasteful though.
We could.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Hawkeye on Sep 09, 2011, 08:14 AM
Was looking more for speaker repair tips than speakers to buy, but hey, that's cool too!  I just hate to get rid of these speakers that are "only" 8 years old and had a list price near $1000 when I bought them.  Seems wasteful.  The speakers and cabinets themselves are still in great shape, it's just that damn crossover board (I think).  That part of our culture today sickens me...don't fix anything, just buy new...it's good for the economy, right?!  So wasteful though.

Wasteful indeed. I'm with you. If there's any good indie stereo/home theatre stores left in you area, go there and ask them about repairs. Fuck the box-stores.