Forum Album Club #1 - Tattoo You/ Rolling Stones -Wolof

Started by wolof7, Aug 31, 2011, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

I would have never thought that I would have chosen Tattoo You as an album to lead anything like this before 2 years ago...I avoided most of the 80's Stones output like the plague for some reason and the album cover to this one gave me a reason...I've warmed up to it now, I may even say I like it a lot....it won a Grammy for best artwork that year!

Truth is this album for me represents the best that the Stones have to offer: unpretentious and unrepentant Rock and Roll at its finest. I like it better than Exile (which may have 1 song too many) maybe less than Sticky Fingers but it contends with any of their best output in my humble opinion.

I always knew the opener and closer "Start Me Up" and "Waiting on a Friend" and while I appreciate those tracks merits, it did not strengthen my resolve to give the album a chance. The song that got me was right when I was in a Stones phase and I saw the preview to the movie "Adventureland" which came out maybe 2-3 yrs ago... an underrated classic teenage nostalgic flick depicting summertime blues and hi-jinks.

The trailer featured the song "Tops" which got me immediately. Not too far of a stretch from their Emotional Rescue pseudo-funk vocals from Mick, the song is just epic...I'll stop now and give you my personal  demographics on the album:

Without being too "pitchfork-y" on a scale of 1-10  I give it a 9.7 . That's pretty damn stellar considering I would not ordinarily go that high on an album which is basically deep cuts shapeshifted to promote a tour.
FAVORITE TRACK: TOPS
LEAST FAVORITE TRACK: START ME UP (although it is still a great one)
FAVORITE COMPANION DRINK: CHAMPAGNE, BUSCH LIGHT
ACTIVITY MOST LIKELY ACCOMPANYING A LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM: We pregame to this album more than any other...

"The thing with Tattoo You wasn't that we'd stopped writing new stuff, it was a question of time. We'd agreed we were going to go out on the road and we wanted to tour behind a record. There was no time to make a whole new album and make the start of the tour." – Keith

In the 1995 Rolling Stone interview during which editor Jann Wenner called Tattoo You the Stones' "most underrated album," Jagger said, "I think it's excellent. But all the things I usually like, it doesn't have. It doesn't have any unity of purpose or place or time."  (so true)

...Let the discussion begin!!!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

sweatboard

I love that this album starts with Start Me Up and ends with Waiting on a Friend.  Two very opposite sentiments but the songs in between really tell the story of how they start one place and end up in another.  I've read that people tend to think of this album as being one side being rock one side being acoustic low key kind of stuff.  I would actually say the two halves are divided between T&A and Black Limousine.  I think the record starts off with some amazingly rocking vintage Rock and Roll with really feisty lyrics for the first four songs and then takes on a different kind of lyrical agenda for the remaining songs. The album still seems so cohesive to me and I was very surprised to learn that the songs are a compilation of tracks spanning a decade.  Mick did a great job recording lyrics for a bunch of song structures, and the person who did the mixing pulled it all together beautifully.  So glad this record was picked, I bought it on Vinyl a few months ago but it has been really nice to really delve into it.   
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

So, is everyone listening to Start Me Up? 

Does "slide it up" mean his penis?

wolof7

Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 09:35 PM
  Mick did a great job recording lyrics for a bunch of song structures, and the person who did the mixing pulled it all together beautifully.     

Agreed I think Mick's vocals are very strong on this album, even on just the straight ahead rockers hang fire and neighbours he really just lets it loose thats what i love on TY.

sweatboard

Yeah, the idea of hanging fire on a wire is a really awesome image.

wolof7

What are peeps favorite tracks? I feel like anyone could choose any song as a strong contender for each track...SLave just started for moi Sweat....

sweatboard

Slave just groooves like a mofo.  It makes me want to dance dirty. 

Crispy

I do love this record, even with the slower numbers on side 2. Yes, two sides, even though I can't locate the vinyl in my collection for some odd reason.

Anybody else remember belting out the lyrics to Start Me Up around their mothers and getting yelled at after the "You make a dead man come" line? And not knowing what that meant? 

Slave kicks ass! DIRTY
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

sweatboard

Slave is on for me. 

I guess Mick just wants this chick to have sex with him, steal him food, and bring back some liquor.

The Bass Line!!!!!!!!

Crispy

Also, that bass line in Start Me up maybe the most recognizable ever -- I always picture Wyman in the videos back then, just laying it down in the background, taking in Mick and the boys up front.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Tracy 2112

T & A my favorite track. Big Kieth singing fan
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

ManNamedTruth

moved this from the other thread....

So I'll start this off early as I'll be entering the forum fantasy draft soon. I'm aided here by my brother's home made wine, some strong stuff doesn't even taste like wine, more like a strong cocktail. This is my second listen of Tattoo You.... Start Me Up - classic Stones song, only one I previously knew. I have a bunch of Stones like -  Exile, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, etc... but probably wouldn't have gave this one a chance if it wasn't for this. I liked it more than I thought I would. Really liked Heaven on first listen, probably my favorite track.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

Talk about young, drunk, dumb and full of cum when this came out.

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 31, 2011, 09:44 PM

Hahhahaahhahahahaha,  That songs only purpose on this record is to remind you how good Mick can sing.

wolof7

HAH I didn't even freakin notice Keith was singing on Little T&A I gotta pay closer attention  :beer:

Tracy 2112

Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 09:46 PM

Hahhahaahhahahahaha,  That songs only purpose on this record is to remind you how good Mick can sing.

I loooove Keith singing

Crispy

I love this too, love to hear Keith. Happy is another great one.

Tracy 2112

wolof7

Little T&A is a testament to how great of band they are. It sounds totally tossed off, probably written and recorded in a day. Still rocks

sweatboard

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Aug 31, 2011, 09:44 PM
moved this from the other thread....

So I'll start this off early as I'll be entering the forum fantasy draft soon. I'm aided here by my brother's home made wine, some strong stuff doesn't even taste like wine, more like a strong cocktail. This is my second listen of Tattoo You.... Start Me Up - classic Stones song, only one I previously knew. I have a bunch of Stones like -  Exile, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, etc... but probably wouldn't have gave this one a chance if it wasn't for this. I liked it more than I thought I would. Really liked Heaven on first listen, probably my favorite track.

Heaven is my favorite song as well.  Justin Vernon talked about a song on his new Bon Iver album being the one where you relight the joint.  Heaven is the song where you relight the joint if there ever was one.  I can't believe they came up with this song.  Amazing!!!