Forum Album Club #1 - Tattoo You/ Rolling Stones -Wolof

Started by wolof7, Aug 31, 2011, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sweatboard

wolof7

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
Heaven is an incredible track, perfect for re-lighting that joint -- or rolling another.

So perfect.....why is this not  more frequently on stoner's radars, that includes me. ::)

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Crispy

Ain't No Use is a great track to wind down with, leading into that wonderful closer...
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

YimBlaylock

Favorite Track: "Slave"-just groovy jammin', awesome horns, could go on for even longer than the allotted 7ish minutes and I'd be juuuust fine.  8)

Least Favorite Track: Tough, but probably "Hang Fire"-solid song, but in my opinion, the most disposable of the album, not sure it adds a whole lot to the album as a whole. Feels more or less like it just follows the mood of the rest of the album. But still another delicious Stones-y tune.

Other Mentionables: "Neighbours" doesn't really contain a whole lot of profundity (other than just another outlet for Jagger's devilishly great vocals), but it's among my faves. Obviously, all know that "Start Me Up" riff is awesome.....but seriously, that riff is awesome. Also, while it's clear that Richards' voice doesn't touch that of Jagger, "Little T & A" does show their willingness to venture off their well-known path at least a little bit, something I don't think the Stones get a lot of credit for. Finally, I've never known why I liked "Waiting on a Friend" so much. Nearly every time I listen to it, a deep part of my brain reminds me that this isn't the type of song I usually go for. But then, an even deeper part of my brain reminds me that the song is the bomb. So I just go with that.

Rating: I'll give it 9.2 out of 10. I don't like to rate by comparison, but it's hard not to with a group that's put out Exile, Let It Bleed, Beggars' Banquet, etc. And as awesome as this album is, it's none of those in my opinion. It's full of songs that could warrant individual listens for a number of situations, but I don't personally get much extra out of it by listening to it all together, in order, like I do with those that I mentioned before. Not to say that any of the songs clash with each other, but I don't feel that any of them really build each other up either. Super great album though. One I had just a tiny bit of exposure to before this adventure, and one I definitely have more respect for after having analyzed it heavier. Before this, if someone would have asked me to rate the album, I probably would have given it a 7 at best (and that's only if I really had that "Start Me Up" riff bouncing in my noggin. Great pick Wolof!  :thumbsup:
It's all happening.

Jaimoe

Pretty solid Stones album. Ranks somewhere in the middle for me, but I'll give it 7 out of 10. I believe most if not the songs were unreleased tracks, some dating back to the early '70s. "Waiting on a Friend" was recorded during the Mick Taylor era. I can't stand "Start Me Up"; it was ruined by 1982-3 due to oversaturation. If there's a better video out there that can beat the non-intentionally hilarity that is "Waiting on a Friend", I've never seen it... but the Grateful Dead's "Hell in a Bucket" comes close.

sweatboard

This sounds like Pink Floyd just fucked Mick Jagger in the a-hole. 

Tracy 2112

This is like being at the cool table at lunch   8)

Crispy

We used to laugh about this one when I was a kid, but now, how fucking cool -- Peter Tosh!

ROLLING STONES ★ waiting on a friend

Well, shit, no embedding.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

wolof7

Tracy 2112

Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman are hammered in that WOAF video. Especially Charlie

YimBlaylock

Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 31, 2011, 09:56 PM
There is quite a bit of sax on this album....the onion's A/V club had an inventory list listing songs almost ruined by the overuse of Sax Bowie's Young Americans was on it so was a Hold Steady track...any thoughts too much sax on Tattoo you? I think they make it work

BRING ON THE SAX!!!
It's all happening.

sweatboard

The vocal overdubbing on No Use In Crying is making you glad you re-lit that joint. 

Tracy 2112

Waiting on a Friend reminds me when I fucked my girlfriend Alice in the pet cemetary

wolof7

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Aug 31, 2011, 10:12 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 31, 2011, 09:56 PM
There is quite a bit of sax on this album....the onion's A/V club had an inventory list listing songs almost ruined by the overuse of Sax Bowie's Young Americans was on it so was a Hold Steady track...any thoughts too much sax on Tattoo you? I think they make it work

BRING ON THE SAX!!!

YimB between the name, the avatar and the posts you are by far the best new forum member, no offense to others, YimB could fancy realtions with cattle, but damn Jim Duggan really does it for me everytime....kinda like the sax on this album!

Crispy

New appreciation for this record, thank you, wolof. A very impressive list of folks who helped out on it too:

sweatboard

I don't think someone has gotten a hold of some prerecorded music and just totally killed it like this other than maybe Eddie Vedder when he got a hold of the tracks from TEN.  The passion, the annunciation, the recording technique.  This record gives me an appreciation for Mick not just as a singer but as an artist. 

wolof7

Did Mick Taylor guest on a few tracks as well?

wolof7

Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 10:16 PM
I don't think someone has gotten a hold of some prerecorded music and just totally killed it like this other than maybe Eddie Vedder when he got a hold of the tracks from TEN.  The passion, the annunciation, the recording technique.  This record gives me an appreciation for Mick not just as a singer but as an artist.

All of this is true....I really love that quote from Mick stating that the record has no feel or presance of time or place, its definitely true. There is no concept or pretension just straightforward rock music. Love this album!