Forum Album Club #1 - Tattoo You/ Rolling Stones -Wolof

Started by wolof7, Aug 31, 2011, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

capt. scotty

I got behind in the listening club from the beginning but didnt want to suddenly jump in during week 4 while skipping over the first few so Im starting from the start and hope to listen to all the albums done so far by next weeks album (I didnt even realize 930pm Weds every week was the set time. Good to know!). I felt bad, but since it looks like only 10 or so people chimed in here, I dont feel as bad now, Anyways...

I have all the Stones classic albums from the big 4 run, but Some Girls is the only other that I have (outside of a greatest hits or 2). Only songs I was familiar here with were Start Me Up and Waitin' On A Friend (although I couldnt really remember much of the latter). Never really liked Start Me Up, and like mjk those Microsoft Windows commercials for a couple years made it a hated song for me and possibly postponed my giving the Stones a chance by 5 or so years compared to other classic rock greats. That said, it had been awhile since I heard it so it was nice to hear actually. I put that song right with Satisfaction as Stones songs that have classic riffs but songs I just dont care for much.

Personally, I preferred the 2nd half much more (Worried About You -> Waitin') than the first half. The first half mostly just felt like the b-side rocker throwaways, whereas the 2nd half offerred something Ive never heard from the Stones before, and was more interesting and enjoyable. I learned in here that it was basically a compilation album, and considering that, I think the album does have a very good flow to it. Im also not a big fan of having a lot of slow songs in a row usually, as I feel like it often can pull the air out of an album as opposed to building on top of the previous songs. For Tattoo You, I didnt think that was the case at all and think making the front rock-heavy was a good call as really this albums strength is the slower songs.

Giving this album a rating, I cant help but compare it to other Stones albums. Considering they have at least 4 albums that would be 9+/10's, its hard to not factor that in. I'll give it a 7.6/10, which is bumped up a little since I think it has good song to song flow for a compilation album especially and a few songs on the 2nd half explore sounds Ive never heard from the Stones.

Favorite songs:
1) Tops - probably the most tvintage sounding Stones of the album sans Waitin'.
    Reminds me of Beast of Burden musically yet the exact opposite lyrically.
2) Heaven - as discussed in the thread, all kinds of awesome. Never heard a Stones
    song like it
3) Slave - I cant help but think this song influenced Peter Gabriel into writing
    Sledgehammer. Maybe the biggest funkgroove Ive heard the Stones lay down.

Least Favorites:
1) Little T&A
2) Neighbours
3) Hang Fire
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons