Earthquake!

Started by Jaimoe, Aug 23, 2011, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

It happened around 2pm EST. I live on the 23rd floor in Toronto and I first thought it was my throbbing lower back, but nope, it was an earthquake. DC said it was 5.8 and originated in Virginia.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Felt it in Philly. Thought I was lightheaded, then I realized my chair was moving.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

ManNamedTruth

Felt it here in Pittsburgh too. My couch was rocking back and forth, never felt anything like that.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Aug 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
Felt it in Philly. Thought I was lightheaded, then I realized my chair was moving.

I TOTALLY THOUGHT I WAS DIZZY!!!  But my friend Kara called and says "hey did you feel that earthquake??"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11235/1169292-100.stm
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

The epicenter was apparently in Mineral, Virginia (crazy name for that) and was near a nuclear power plant that shut itself down automatically (thank jeebis!!)

WTH GUYS?!?

:o :o :o

kotchishm

Originated an hour from me.  Weird feeling, never had one here before
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Clarkwork

I felt it all the way down in South Carolina.  Had no clue what was going on.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

headhunter

felt it here in nyc. just got off a cruise ship yesterday to & from nova scotia and it felt like being out at sea on the waves.

maybe it was just the mmj philly soundcheck starting early.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

woodnymph

Quote from: headhunter on Aug 23, 2011, 03:02 PM
maybe it was just the mmj philly soundcheck starting early.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

johnnYYac

I got nothing, but my wife, 24 miles away in Concord, NH, felt the 'quake.  Fun stuff.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MarkW

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 23, 2011, 05:45 PM
I got nothing, but my wife, 24 miles away in Concord, NH, felt the 'quake.  Fun stuff.

If my wife felt the earth move whilst I was 24 miles away, there'd be questions to be answered.  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

DC showed how ill prepared they were for an earthquake yesterday as with any east coast city for that matter.  In many ways, it was a blessing that it was a 5.8, just enough to trigger emergency action (thereby exposing major deficiencies) but not causing casualties or major damage to roads and buildings.  My girlfriend's office was closed after the earthquake so she left work about 3 hours earlier than she normally does yet got home later than she normally does due to the complete gridlock of DC.  Shall see how many resources will be diverted to implement a new earthquake plan.

From today's Washington Post:

The first warnings of the earthquake may have occurred at the National Zoo, where officials said some animals seemed to feel it coming before people did. The red ruffed lemurs began "alarm calling" a full 15 minutes before the quake hit, zoo spokeswoman Pamela Baker-Masson said. In the Great Ape House, Iris, an orangutan, let out a guttural holler 10 seconds before keepers felt the quake. The flamingos huddled together in the water seconds before people felt the rumbling. The rheas got excited. And the hooded mergansers — a kind of duck — dashed for the safety of the water.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

Maybe instead of spending more money on raising the earthquake tolerance ceiling, we should just keep the current system in place and reduce the number of earthquakes. After all, earthquakes are the real problem, not the preparedness of the city. I call on my representatives to reject this, especially since plate tectonics is only a theory and can't be proven.
I'm surrounded by assholes

darkglow

don't let the earthquake distract you.. something bigger is coming your way

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on Aug 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Maybe instead of spending more money on raising the earthquake tolerance ceiling, we should just keep the current system in place and reduce the number of earthquakes. After all, earthquakes are the real problem, not the preparedness of the city. I call on my representatives to reject this, especially since plate tectonics is only a theory and can't be proven.

Quote from: jones on Aug 24, 2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2011/08/23/east-coast-earthquake-destruction-and-damage-twitter-photos.html?fb_ref=gallery&fb_source=home_oneline

;D ;D ;D