Roll Call - Dec 14th New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden

Started by headhunter, Sep 18, 2011, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

Also wanted to say I had a blast meeting many of you at Stout before, and with you during the show.  Here's to 2012.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Bigsky

Jimbuktu

holy shit that was so much fun.

great, great show. the energy was FLOWING and PUMPING the entire show. danced my butt off.

The Bottle was awesome!

Northern Neighbour

First, apologies from Carol and me for not meeting up with people after the show as we were beat from traveling.  We're now back at the airport waiting for our flight to Calgary.  It was a blast to see all those whom I met previously and to meet people for the first time.

The show itself was excellent.  It wasn't as memorable as Louisville 2010, but still a great show nonetheless.  The addition of the horns and Brian Jackson, though, added something special to the show.  "The Bottle" was great - I had a brain cramp in trying to remember who sang it.

There were some different touches to the show, though.  As mentioned, ending the first set with an extended jam of "Gideon" was awesome. 

A prolonged sax session by Carl with Brian Jackson supporting him on "Dondante" was really neat.  Carl has really improved as a saxophonist.

I liked the prolonged jam intro into "Off the Record". 

"Dancefloors" was great with the horns.  The band played it with more energy than I've seen them do it in the past.

"Smokin'" was completed with a jam of "Run Thru", which is becoming a staple but still these two make the perfect combination.

And finally, on "First Light", they played it much harder - a rockier, edgier version, which was great.

The crowd was pretty good, although the people on our side (Jim's side) weren't the most energetic.  However, the middle of GA West, where most of the Roll Call members were, was rocking. 

Maybe we'll see you in 2012.  We're considering New Orleans, although Oz beckons.

Have a safe trip home to all those traveling in the coming hours and days.  And Happy Holidays everyone!

scosby2

Sounds like a really special night...wish I could have been there. Definitely gonna be planning some major trips around this band in 2012. Thanks for the videos, penny! Can't wait to hear about it!

el_chode

3:30 PM - Chode arrives home from work
4:00 PM - Chode's ride says he'll be there by 4:30
4:45 PM - Chode's ride arrive
4:46 PM - Local Police barricade Chode's block on both ends of the Street
4:47 PM - Fire Trucks move in from both sides of the street
4:50 PM - Pee my pants a little
4:51 PM - WTF? We're trapped, there's not even smoke
5:00 PM - We get on the road
6:15 PM - We somehow exit the 33rd Street PATH Station at 30th Street. Whatever
6:30 PM - Get to Stout, see there is a line to get in, figure it's too late
7ish - See Steam Engine briefly outside
7:10 PM - Ask Security where my special red carpet is because I'm a Roll Call member, MFer. Quickly given a look, told to go to will call. Go to Will Call, get told this is a Peter Pan event only. Eventually, we clear things up, get our tickets, and follow the signs for "Floor seating". Except that's not Floor Seating, get sent back outside to the GA West Entrance. On our way there, Security gives us a hard time for leaving the garden because there's no exits and shit.
7:30 PM - We get in to GA West and "enjoy" Band of Horses from the baller's lounge they had set up, sippin on bourbon in plush leather sofas.

So for those of you who were curious as to why, yes, once again, I failed to show up. That's why.

Also, I made everyone claw their way over to Carl side of the stage. Not a single friendly face! Well, the people were cool, we had a massive dance party. But I thought I'd find you all there, but you weren't.

Anyway, the sound quality was superior. The energy was great. The setlist was phenomenal. At this point, it's pointless to rank shows. But it might be one of my favorite, even without a Lay Low. It was also my first Run Thru medley, and I loved every clock armin' minute.

I said it last year, but I'll say it again: we just saw a band at the top of their game.
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Also, was that the world's fastest encore break or what? It's like one moment I'm catching my breath, the next it's taken away from Bermuda Highway.
I'm surrounded by assholes

lil sis

Quote from: Honest Man on Dec 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
Quote from: bluesky on Dec 15, 2011, 01:31 AM
Quote from: CountSA on Dec 15, 2011, 12:37 AM
I REALLY  wanted to hear some new tunes from the Xmas EP, especailly "Welcome Home".  If not tonight then when?  Awesome show though.

Totally agree would have been a very special way to end the tour

Ditto. I am surprised they didn't. The song is amazing.
Really wanted to hear this.  Sigh.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

slimsloslider

fleabag

Quote from: el_chode on Dec 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
3:30 PM - Chode arrives home from work
4:00 PM - Chode's ride says he'll be there by 4:30
4:45 PM - Chode's ride arrive
4:46 PM - Local Police barricade Chode's block on both ends of the Street
4:47 PM - Fire Trucks move in from both sides of the street
4:50 PM - Pee my pants a little
4:51 PM - WTF? We're trapped, there's not even smoke
5:00 PM - We get on the road
6:15 PM - We somehow exit the 33rd Street PATH Station at 30th Street. Whatever
6:30 PM - Get to Stout, see there is a line to get in, figure it's too late
7ish - See Steam Engine briefly outside
7:10 PM - Ask Security where my special red carpet is because I'm a Roll Call member, MFer. Quickly given a look, told to go to will call. Go to Will Call, get told this is a Peter Pan event only. Eventually, we clear things up, get our tickets, and follow the signs for "Floor seating". Except that's not Floor Seating, get sent back outside to the GA West Entrance. On our way there, Security gives us a hard time for leaving the garden because there's no exits and shit.
7:30 PM - We get in to GA West and "enjoy" Band of Horses from the baller's lounge they had set up, sippin on bourbon in plush leather sofas.

So for those of you who were curious as to why, yes, once again, I failed to show up. That's why.

Also, I made everyone claw their way over to Carl side of the stage. Not a single friendly face! Well, the people were cool, we had a massive dance party. But I thought I'd find you all there, but you weren't.

Anyway, the sound quality was superior. The energy was great. The setlist was phenomenal. At this point, it's pointless to rank shows. But it might be one of my favorite, even without a Lay Low. It was also my first Run Thru medley, and I loved every clock armin' minute.

I said it last year, but I'll say it again: we just saw a band at the top of their game.

A little quiet in this thread this morning, huh?  I can almost hear crickets chirping. 

I made it to Stout after everyone left but went up to section 106.

Loved Band of Horses!  I haven't seen their setlist though. 

I completely agree that these guys are at the top of their game.  Incredibly versatile, enormous energy and they have a large catalog now to draw from.

I was impressed by the attendance -- the place was packed and everyone in my section at least was completely into the show.   I just didn't notice anyone just hanging out like they didn't care and not much talking.

...words only got in the way

layin low

Great pics here. http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/12/my_morning_jack_33.html

Would love to see the Band of Horses set if anyone can locate it. They make their home base here in the Carolinas, and are excellent. Quick story: BOH were opening for Kings of Leon over the summer, then Caleb Followill had his meltdown (at the third f#$#ing show!) and they cancelled the entire tour. Was pretty bummed because us folks in Charlotte were going to be three days later. Well, BOH took the bull by the horns and created their own mini-tour through some of the cities, including mine. I got my money back from the original ticket and paid only half that to see Band of Horses kill it during a 2+ hour set at a smaller (and better) venue. Was one of the highlights of my 2011 concert experiences.

Anyway, back to MSG, wow folks, looks like you got a hot one! Steam Engine and Dondante, horns, etc. Was interested why MMJ soundchecked I'll Be Home when we were in Greensboro and then didn't play it during the show, but now it makes sense. All in all, a great fall/winter tour ending show. Happy Holidays to all!!

P.S. All I want for Christmas is Carl's magical slide guitar skills.

AMightyCaporal

Aside from a couple of "fans" or lets call them "guests" that show was incredible!  They brought so much energy it was insane!  During the intro to smokin' I was hoping it was going to be I just wanted to say- which I would have loved to hear.  But it was so great hearing that song live again... It's been far to long since I last saw the Jacket- so happy to have experienced last night
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

AMightyCaporal

PS: The little breakdown in the middle of Golden was heaven sent!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

SnowRock

GA West was pumping for sure... great energy in the section. Spent a few minutes turned around soaking it all in.. crowd looked pretty into it across the board.

I always walk away smiling from these shows. Loved The Bottle.. would have liked another one from the Christmas EP but I'll manage.

I really think they are just getting better and better live. Great way to close out the year, excited for next and can't wait for Jazz Fest.

AMightyCaporal

e_wind

Loved seein everyone again.

I'll say it too, would've loved some deep cuts, but the show was on fire. When they played Red Rocks this year, the "feeling" of the show and venue were far superior to the excellent set list. The same was true here. They were playing at MS(fucking)G and it was packed. You could tell they appretiated the love and were truly grateful for the experience, which made the "feeling" superb. The guests and the covers were awesome! Steam Engine, Dance Floors, The Bottle, I'll Be Home For Xmas were my highlights. Loved being on the rail with Nateonte, Northern Neighbor, his wife Carol, and my gf. Until next time friends :beer:
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

walterfredo

rmpotsy

Quote from: BH on Dec 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
Quote from: CC Baxter on Dec 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
pics!
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/gogo/gallery/211-2/12142011-madison-square-garden-new-york-city-ny/

Holy crap is that a new stage setup or is it the same one that was at red rocks?   It looks bigger and badder!

that looks like the stage set up from the record release in louisville.  if so, it was one of the cooler set ups/screens ive ever seen.  apparently it was too big and unwieldy to tour with so they used the smaller screen for most shows.
out go the lights it begins