New Article in Acoustic Guitar Magazine

Started by dwight, Jul 13, 2004, 07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwight

There's a good article on Jim in this month's Acoustic Guitar. It's got Jeff Tweedy on the cover. Talks about Jim's Takamine acoustic. Evidently he's written most of his songs on it and he bought it in 7th grade. It's a good one w/ a couple good pics. Someone ought to scan it and put it up on the sytem.

=)

peanut butter puddin surprise

not Jim's, but gives a good idea of which one....
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

sweatboard

He doesn't usually play a twelve string does he? If so which songs?
There's Still Time.........

peanut butter puddin surprise

you know, after I posted that pic, I saw it was a 12 string and thought "hey, does Jim play a 12 string?....wait, I haven't seen him play one...."

so the answer is "if he does, I didn't see it"  ;D
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

CC

I really think it's just 6  ;D

will put the article up tomorrow.

lyricjunkie

It's pretty anyway!  I was gonna make a smart remark to CC, but then I saw John's statement that is wasn't Jim's... that was tricky! :D
Talk less....
Say more.

sweatboard

I went ahead and picked up the magazine and it is a 6 string Takemine.  Although I would love to hear Jim write something on a twelwe string.  Does Jim play steel guitar?  The Magazine is a must have good stuff from Chris Robinson, Jeff Tweedy, Warren Haynes, Jay Farrar, 100 essential acoustic albums, etc.  

My top 5 essential acoustic albums of all time.

1. Warren Haynes - live at bonnaroo (One of the most emotional works of art I have ever come across. A truly beautiful album and a truly beautiful man, and I don't even relly know anything about him, I just picked up the album a couple weeks ago)
2. Nirvana - Unplugged (The first time I probably started to really understand the importance and power music can have in an artist life.  When Kurt finished that last whale on Where did you sleep last night I thought How can he follow that, he just left every ounce of his soul on the stage...............how can anyone follow that.)
3. My Morning Jacket - Acoustic Citsuoca (To me Jim James is in the same class as the two musicians above. It's the way he treats the music, the respect he gives it, and his complete sincerity.  I remeber hearing this album for the first time and thinking "ok, there are only 5 songs on this thing and I only paid like 6 bucks for it, but the way in which It moves me makes me feel like I was experiencing something that I should have paid thousands of dollars for.  I crawled up in a hole somewhere and listened to it again feeling like I had just pulled off the biggest heist the world has ever seen.)
4. Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall (I think Eddie Vedder is truly one of the great American song writers.  He is a truly compasionate soul with amazing insight.  Pearl Jam makes a statement on this night as the shine, no evenflow, jeremy or alive, just some amazing songs delivered with the passion with which they were concieved. The media can spout whatever they want to about what they think they know about this band, but the fact is, the music speaks for itself. I enjoy listening to just Eddie and his guitar as much as the full band.
5. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (A Masterpiece, the band could not follow this album because they had already achieved perfection.  The stars had already aligned and they created one of those timeless perfect works of art. Funny, Sad, Touching, Uplifting, Rockin, Melodic, You Name It This Album Has It, and I think they only used three chords to create this entire album.

lfish

Thx CC,

Now I finally now in what tuning Golden is played and where to put my capo.

It's a lot easier to search the notes now. Thx
lfish

sweatboard

QuoteThx CC,

Now I finally now in what tuning Golden is played and where to put my capo.

It's a lot easier to search the notes now. Thx

Will you let us now when you get it tabed out lfish?

Thanks
Brian

lyricjunkie

:-*Thanks for posting the article CC! I really enjoyed reading it!
Talk less....
Say more.

lfish

I definitely will. But tomorrow I take a two week vacation so I won't have time to tab it because I'm abroad.  And then afterwards I start moving to Brussels. And it seems that I will need some time to fix up my appartment, so I can't promise you an exact date. But be sure that I will do my utmost to put it here on the forum or on the by now wellknown powertab website.
lfish

sweatboard

QuoteI definitely will. But tomorrow I take a two week vacation so I won't have time to tab it because I'm abroad.  And then afterwards I start moving to Brussels. And it seems that I will need some time to fix up my appartment, so I can't promise you an exact date. But be sure that I will do my utmost to put it here on the forum or on the by now wellknown powertab website.

Yeah, just let us know when it's up on powertab! ;D
Thanks,
Brian

dwight

I hate to say it but the Alice in Chains Unplugged is a unbelievable album.  All "hipster" music critic B.S. aside, it's a great CD.  They reference , AIC's "Jar of Flies" as one of the top 100 in the magazine.
By the way, what ever happened to "Unplugged". There have been son many good performances - Nirvana, Neil Young, Clapton, etc.  All you see now on MTV is freaking suckass reality TV. ..

Let me rant here...

What is reality about putting 8 people (usually a rapper, a musician/dancer, a gay girl, a gay guy, a "country" girl or guy, and an asian), all with exceptional looks, in a $2 Million dollar crib w/ $1 million worth of furnishings and following them around w/ a camera to their local clubs while they hook up by saying "Hi, I'm _____ (insert person from above). I'm on the Real World 25 and would you like to hook up tonight so you can be on national TV??"  

That's just Brilliant!

Meanwhile there are dozens of cool unplugged concerts they could produce...

Who says MTV doesn't play music anymore?  On one of the Nick and Jessica episodes they showed them playing an awesome duet together.  If those two performing together ain't sweet melody, I don't know what is.  After all, Jessica covers MMJ's version of "Take my Breath Away"--not the Top Gun version.  Everyday I bring that up to people--and they can't believe that MMJ actually played that song.  Once again, MMJ is very quietly beginning to control the world.  Especially now that they are movie stars.  

BeatTheDiese

mtv did do some unpluggeds a few years ago on mtv2 but they all sucked, it was like dashboard confessional and staind unplugged, not cool ones.
- Adam

Drunkre

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I always thought it would have been cool to see Fugazi do an Unplugged show, even though they never would.

On that Acoustic Guitar interview though, I finally have a justification for the Dan Fogelberg records in my collection.  "Same Auld Lang Syne" is a classic that will make you cry if you're brokenhearted (and human).
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

MMJ_fanatic

Riny I really appreciate the article it was a good read.  I just can't picture Jim killing anything, let alone killing something with his "claws" :D
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.