Save Ear-X-Tacy

Started by ericwindmill, Nov 17, 2010, 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

I don't blame digital distribution, I blame an industry that no longer makes a product worthy of physical production. Music is made like cheap Chinese disposable lead tainted trinkets not worth the shelf space they take up. The record stores hurt from a lack of new products on the shelves. Second-hand and nostalgia only goes so far; without enough new product to pas the profits it ends up being non-sustainable. In other words, it's the same as record labels: when they lose the shitty big name fluff artist, they lose the padded margins to support the commercially unsuccessful actual talent.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 01, 2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah I wondered what the several songs for DL only were?

there was Octoplasm for joining Roll Call (which is 1 reason I never joined; a fan club excluding "non-members"? no thanks) and then the downloads from American Express. Again, not saying this is why music stores are closing, however, these opportunites only encourage people to download music rather than go to the store. There are Catch-22's a plenty, however, the way of the record store, book store, etc... is on it's way out and even the most well intentioned people (MMJ) are part of making this happen. It is part of the business side of things.

I also happen to be one of the purists who shops at Grimey's in Nashville (if I can find it there), plus I wait until the release date before I purchase new music. And I get laughed at for being like this; so be it. I really think there is something about waiting and not over-saturating yourself that is getting lost in our culture (but that's another thread).
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

I understand the business side of things, but you mentioned one song?

I just think it's pretty low to make that statement when MMJ have made a concerted effort to promote and support Ear-X-Tacy and Record Store Day, etc  Jim's not a hypocrite but he does lead a band that has to make an income. He said 'let this be a wake up call to us'.. and 'i fear one day we will wake up bleary-eyed'..he's not excluding himself. Like you said, some of it is just the business side that they can't escape to be able to make any $.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 01, 2011, 04:10 PM

I just think it's pretty low to make that statement when MMJ have made a concerted effort to promote and support Ear-X-Tacy and Record Store Day, etc  Jim's not a hypocrite but he does lead a band that has to make an income. He said 'let this be a wake up call to us'.. and 'i fear one day we will wake up bleary-eyed'..he's not excluding himself. Like you said, some of it is just the business side that they can't escape to be able to make any $.

There were a couple of others through AE. 1 is too many, IMO. *Plus, I forgot about the whole Itunes Palms exclusive.

I acknowledged them trying to save the store > I understand he tried to help save the store.

And I appreciate their efforts.

And in a couple of years there won't be any record stores.

And I get laughed at here when I challenge people not to download illegally. Scoffed at, etc...

And we're all hypocrites.

And it's 31 degrees and snowing hard in Douglas County Wyoming.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

el_chode

I get Tracy's point - Candles and Panties was the first album I ever bought digitally.

EDIT: or was it live at the palms? One was an itunes exclusive, no?
I'm surrounded by assholes

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: el_chode on Nov 01, 2011, 05:34 PM
I get Tracy's point - Candles and Panties was the first album I ever bought digitally.

EDIT: or was it live at the palms? One was an itunes exclusive, no?

They are the same album. And yes, itunes exclusive.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Penny Lane

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 01, 2011, 04:45 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 01, 2011, 04:10 PM

There were a couple of others through AE. 1 is too many, IMO. *Plus, I forgot about the whole Itunes Palms exclusive.

I acknowledged them trying to save the store > I understand he tried to help save the store.

And I appreciate their efforts.

And in a couple of years there won't be any record stores.

And I get laughed at here when I challenge people not to download illegally. Scoffed at, etc...

And we're all hypocrites.

And it's 31 degrees and snowing hard in Douglas County Wyoming.

Okay now you're being a drama queen  ;)
No one here laughs and scoffs at you.

I did remember the live at the palms, but it's so infrequently they offer stricly DL stuff, I just think it was a weak point. In 10 years, how many songs? A hem...

It's been snowing hard in Boulder, too. Soulshine's been sending me pics.

e_wind

Off topic, but Live at the Palms might be the most beautiful live work they have
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Ear X Tacy is having a liquidation sale this weekend. If anyone wants any memorbelia (shirt, shot glass, sticker, pint glass, mug, etc) I can pick one up for you. It's really, unbelieveably sad for our city. I'm guilty too. Buying records only came after I downloaded and made sure I like it.

:'(

Hawkeye

I would take a T-shirt (large), if you're offering.  Something that says Ear-x-tacy.  I bought one there last February while I was in town, but it didn't have the store name on it.  Otherwise I'll check out their website?  Not sure if anything is still being offered on there?
We could.

e_wind

Last time I checked the site is done for. I think items like these will be hot this weekend. But I'm gonna try for it

Penny Lane

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 22, 2011, 12:11 PM
Ear X Tacy is having a liquidation sale this weekend. If anyone wants any memorbelia (shirt, shot glass, sticker, pint glass, mug, etc) I can pick one up for you. It's really, unbelieveably sad for our city. I'm guilty too. Buying records only came after I downloaded and made sure I like it.

:'(

eric--if you can swing it, i'd love a sticker or something small...i have a few things from other the years but am not sure where they are..if there are even going out of biz flyers, they'd be something i'd like to frame for posterity...anything if possible! thanks!

e_wind

I just got here.   30 minutes Til open and there's a couple hundred people here in line. I'm gonna guess I'm not getting my hands are ear x Tacy labled goods

e_wind

I picked up about 20 bumper stickers. Black and white or rainbow background of anyone going to MSG wants one.

I also bought a big cardboard sign, probably 5'by5' that says "ear x Tacy used!" a giant eddie vedder cardboard sign, and a giant PJ20 Cardboard sign.

I picked up a Wilco 7", RZA LP, Elvis Live LP, Niel Diamond Live LP, and 10 various things from the 5$ and under boxes.

All that was 55$. Very happy.

Sad to see it go, and I'll probably stop in tomorrow for one last trip there