HELP PLEASE (business idea)

Started by Jon T., Oct 03, 2011, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

For all parents of infants, potential parents of infants, past parents of infants, etc...

With more of an awareness of eco-friendly practices, it seems like cloth diapers are being used much more now than the last twenty years or so.

Do any of you use cloth diapers?  Did you use them?  Will you use or consider using them if you are planning on having kids? 

If the pricing were comparable to disposable diapers (sometimes cheaper) would you pay for a service to clean and deliver your cloth diapers for you?  Or do you just think theyre gross and just prefer the convenience of disposables.

Any answers, comments, shoot-downs are greatly appreciated!

e_wind

As someone that is not a parent, and won't be for many years, I like it.

I think the "green" lifestyle is catching on a lot, or enough to sustain a business.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mjk73

We tried cloth diapers, for about a month with are first one 13 years ago. I stress tried and only about a month. It's a huge nightmare. It's no grosser then dealing with huggies, but it's just a pain. They leak like crazy even with rubber shorts over them. We took care of our own instead of using a service and I wonder what is worse for the environment: throwing diapers out or the soaps and bleaches used to clean the cloth ones. We finally gave up.

pawpaw

We use cloth diapers, though not exclusively - we use disposables when we're running errands, traveling, lazy, etc. We've been able to use the diapers we originally bought for our son for our little girl, who is now 8 months old. We wash them ourselves, and do a lot of laundry. We looked into diaper services, but saving money was the main reason we decided to go cloth, and we wouldn't have saved much to hire a service. If it was close in price, and convenient, a service would've worked.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Bigsky

We use both...but mainly disposable because of convenience. We tried to do the 100% cloth diapers, but gave up. It was such a pain to carry a spoiled diaper around, and the cleaning service wouldn't make this issue any easier. I think a good invention would be a disposable diaper that doesn't harm the environment...

Bigsky

Quote from: bbill on Oct 03, 2011, 12:44 PM
We use cloth diapers, though not exclusively - we use disposables when we're running errands, traveling, lazy, etc. We've been able to use the diapers we originally bought for our son for our little girl, who is now 8 months old. We wash them ourselves, and do a lot of laundry. We looked into diaper services, but saving money was the main reason we decided to go cloth, and we wouldn't have saved much to hire a service. If it was close in price, and convenient, a service would've worked.

As far as cloth being cheaper...did you calculate the water & detergent used?

pawpaw

Quote from: Bigsky on Oct 03, 2011, 12:45 PM
Quote from: bbill on Oct 03, 2011, 12:44 PM

As far as cloth being cheaper...did you calculate the water & detergent used?

Yes, and it was still considerably cheaper for us to go cloth. I forget what we figured the montly delta was. Water's relatively cheap for us though - if we lived in Southern California, it might not have worked out.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jon T.

Thanks, guys!

I'm spitballing some ideas.  I'm not sure this one has the potential to be as profitable as I would need it be.  Plus it'd be pretty shitty work.  (Sorry, I can't help it) 

Back to the drawing board...

pawpaw

Quote from: BH on Oct 04, 2011, 03:36 PM
What about this method?   (Yeah, right.)

http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

Ugh...we're trying to potty train our son right now, and he's just not interested. That website looks like a load of shit though (we could go all day Jon T...). The tone of "hippie" mothers writing about childcare is so irritating to me. Idiots.  ;D

Jon T.

Quote from: bbill on Oct 06, 2011, 12:27 PM

Ugh...we're trying to potty train our son right now, and he's just not interested. That website looks like a load of shit though (we could go all day Jon T.). The tone of "hippie" mothers writing about childcare is so irritating to me. Idiots.  ;D

;D
Oh yeah, well one of the potential names of the business - 
    This shit will not stand (in your cloth diapers, man)

pawpaw

Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 06, 2011, 12:31 PM

Ugh...we're trying to potty train our son right now, and he's just not interested. That website looks like a load of shit though (we could go all day Jon T...). The tone of "hippie" mothers writing about childcare is so irritating to me. Idiots.  ;D

;D

Sounds like you've got a winner!  ;D

Do you have your own, existing business(es?), or is this your first attempt out on your own?

Jon T.

Quote from: bbill on Oct 06, 2011, 12:34 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 06, 2011, 12:31 PM

;D

Sounds like you've got a winner!  ;D

Do you have your own, existing business(es?), or is this your first attempt out on your own?

First attempt, just ideas right now.  I've always had the urge, but it has been really strong lately.

pawpaw