Occupy Wall Street

Started by e_wind, Oct 06, 2011, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

I literally payed no attention to this until today. I was bored on campus and have been reading all day and watching videos. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this subject, because I brought it up at work and all my coworkers had not even heard of it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I think it's pretty awesome.  people are finally calling out the bullshit:

New York Observer: Exclusive "Occupy Wall Street" Unaired Fox Footage

YouAre_GivenToFly

That guy loses all credibility because of his 1864 hat.

Plus, busting on Newscorp/Fox is old hat. Pun intended.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

el_chode

Mixed. While I'm glad someone is standing up, I have been pissed off at the people. Many are trust fund babies who can afford to do this because their parents made money on wall street (at least in Manhattan). Other times, I saw people whine because they paid $400,000 for a house that's now only worth $90k or $200k in debt for a dual major in english and "niche" study degrees.

Yes, some of the burden is on the system for charging so damn much for tuition because people want to make a better future, and yes, some of the burden is on the banks for knowingly giving bad mortgages then complaining when their bets went bust. That's what needs to be rallied against (the student loan shit hasn't hit the fan yet).

But at the same time, I feel like some people just want to scapegoat against the banks too because they wish they could be as reckless and irresponsible with their investments and get away with it. And while it's true that in many situations, it was a bad investment on both sides, I've never been one to believe in a quid-pro-quo system of doing things. One person cheating doesn't justify the other doing the same.
I'm surrounded by assholes

YouAre_GivenToFly

This "dialogue" that is starting because of these protests can only gain traction if they start to recognize that the blame for our financial mess lies not on wall street alone. This needs to become "occupy congress", and "occupy the front yards of people who bought a house they should have known they couldn't afford". The banks and their mortgage backed investments (derivatives) are to blame, but so are the politicians who made those products legal back in 1999-2000.

Crispy

I'd like to "Occupy the Hummers, McMansions, Luxury Vacation Condos, and Giant Fucking Boats" that executives have bought for themselves with giant bonuses that corporations continue to pay after collecting bailout money while still making gigantic profits and employing fewer people.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

YouAre_GivenToFly

Well yes there's that too.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 06, 2011, 10:10 PM
Mixed. While I'm glad someone is standing up, I have been pissed off at the people. Many are trust fund babies who can afford to do this because their parents made money on wall street (at least in Manhattan). Other times, I saw people whine because they paid $400,000 for a house that's now only worth $90k or $200k in debt for a dual major in english and "niche" study degrees.

Yes, some of the burden is on the system for charging so damn much for tuition because people want to make a better future, and yes, some of the burden is on the banks for knowingly giving bad mortgages then complaining when their bets went bust. That's what needs to be rallied against (the student loan shit hasn't hit the fan yet).

But at the same time, I feel like some people just want to scapegoat against the banks too because they wish they could be as reckless and irresponsible with their investments and get away with it. And while it's true that in many situations, it was a bad investment on both sides, I've never been one to believe in a quid-pro-quo system of doing things. One person cheating doesn't justify the other doing the same.

the thing about these protests is they are economic protests.  and it's the poor vs the wealthy.  the truly poor people can't be out there occupying shit because they have to work to feed their families and pay their bills.  they really aren't defined now at all, but I think at this point it's simply about spreading basic awareness to the public about the corruption going down.  people shouldn't be shutdown if they feel outraged, it is a right to protest, even if you're a poop dick tea bagger.  it's a bigger deal than the media is making it out to be.   there are protests starting to build up everywhere.  same basic movement.  occupynation.org

our country is fucked if the poor can't even afford to protest for their own rights.  and they can't, it's up these people for now.  still think it's more awesome than not awesome.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

unrelated but about protesting. saw it on PT and want to post it up anyway, it's pretty solid:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqzcUMrDmjM

bowl of soup

You know Mr. Sticky, you really are hitting at the real issue here.  As someone who wasted alot of time getting a niche degree with a specialization in Latin American politics - I had to spend hours comparing various revolutions to one another.  The mistake that people always make is presuming that revolution comes from a gigantic gap between the top and the bottom of the pyramid, the bottom finally getting fed up, and revolting.

This is somewhat true, but rarely does change take place until there is a slip from the educated middle back into the bottom.  Succesful dictators in Latin America are usually the ones who keep very few very rich and 95% of the people starving and controlled.  The grip fails when the starving and controlled are fed and free and then asked to starve again.

I really think something is happening here.  I recently read a very interesting article that argued that we are transitioning from a society where everyone expects a job and the abilty to work to a society where there aren't enough jobs for people.  Essentially an unavoidable welfare state.  Technology has made our lives easier as is always the goal, but at the same time, it takes alot less people to accomplish the same tasks.  My phone replaces ten people that I used to need.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ALady

This movement hasn't quite coalesced into something I can support just yet.  Though I share some of the protesters' viewpoints, I'm a pretty moderate liberal and wary of being painted (read: dismissed) with the hippie-dippie brush.  Maybe some moderate Republicans feel the same way about the Tea Partiers.

With an election year on the horizon, I can't help but feel that this energy would be better spent finding, vetting and funding candidates who would further the movement's agenda. 
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jaimoe

The same protest (no doubt with some of the same protestors) is hitting Toronto very soon, probably on Bay Street, Canada's financial hub a la Wall Street. Although it's not organized and lacks focus, I can't but agree with the protest's overall message(s).

e_wind

I read somewhere that it has moved to Canada, London, Australia, Egypt, and Europe (Occupy Europe in general).

I haven't read up fully on it, but I tend to agree with most of what I've read. What sucks, which has been said here, is that until there is any kind of actual recognition, people who are employeed can't just drop their lives to go live in a tent.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jaimoe

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 07, 2011, 01:37 PM
I read somewhere that it has moved to Canada, London, Australia, Egypt, and Europe (Occupy Europe in general).

I haven't read up fully on it, but I tend to agree with most of what I've read. What sucks, which has been said here, is that until there is any kind of actual recognition, people who are employeed can't just drop their lives to go live in a tent.

From what I gather, a big part of the message is unemployment, so the demographic of those involved makes sense. Also, unions are getting involved, which will only raise the profile and give the protest focus. If you think about it, if it could, Big Business would  operate with as few (if any) employess as possible; we are all under threat. 

CC

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 07, 2011, 01:37 PM

London and Amsterdam (and probably more cities) are planning big events for oct. 15
http://occupylondon.org.uk/
http://www.occupyamsterdam.org/

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

pawpaw

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Nevermind90

STOP POLICING THE WORLD!

add

I have never been a  republican, im just a supporter of Ron Paul..

[url="http://stateofloveandtrust.blogg.se/"]http://stateofloveandtrust.blogg.se/[/url]

lucylew

I'll be honest and say I just don't get it.  I hear interviews with people who are protesting that are saying they want to put an end to corporations and greed.  Really?  That's pretty broad.

I live in Sacramento and it seems like the protests are costing our already broke city a lot of money that we don't have and there does not appear to be a clear, realistic goal behind them.