One Question Jim James - article

Started by SaraBananaBear, Jul 25, 2010, 05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Found this:
Q: What's going on with the new My Morning Jacket record?

A: We're trying to do it all live. Even the vocals. You know, the traditional Motown style of just literally playing the song over and over and over again until you get a take when everybody felt the spirit. The first two records for us were building blocks, where you lay down the drums, lay down the bass, build a wall of vocals over it. Starting with "It Still Moves," we've always tried to build the core tracks live and then overdub vocals.

When you make a record, you want to make something that's going to be satisfying every time you listen to it — so there's a certain amount of perfectionism. We're trying to go for a certain amount of (perfectionism), but at the same time, you get a take that has the spirit in it, that still has a couple of mistakes, that's better.

Here: http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100725/SCENE04/307250015

Wooohooo!
:D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

el_chode

Last time a band did this, they got a grammy nomination! Of course, I'm talking about Sky Blue Sky
I'm surrounded by assholes

columba78

QuoteLast time a band did this, they got a grammy nomination! Of course, I'm talking about Sky Blue Sky

Tom Petty did the same with his latest album "Mojo".

@SaraBananaBear Thanks, for posting !! Can not wait for the new album !!

EasyRyder

excitement....building :o

This has been my hope for a while that MMJ do an "all-together now" album...they're imperfections are perfect, and none of their other albums feature such stumbling over great new riffs or melodic accidental jim-tones that you get from a live performance.

Mix this together with unconfirmed rumors that they're recording in a church and you have the potential for...A KICKASS 2011 TOUR SEASON  :D :D

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

MMJJRK

Really looking forward to this album!