Main Menu

Jazz prt2

Started by dragonboy, Oct 12, 2011, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Quote from: dragonboy on Jan 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
Shit man, I don't have any Mingus! Educate me please jazz cats...
The essential starting point typically is Ah Umm, widely regarded as his compositional masterpiece and the home to many jazz standards.  It was rereleased last year with a bunch of extra stuff that two tone named one of his favorite albums from last year.  Other classics are Pithecanthropus Erectus and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.  He's known more for his writing than his playing but I always regarded him as a damn good bassist.  He played on the famous Massey Hall concert though the bass lines in the recording were dubbed over because the bass did not record well.

Also his quasi autobiography, "Beneath the Underdog" is a fascinating look at a VERY unique character.  One of my college roomies named his black cat Mingus.  I'll hit you up later.  Most of my Mingus is on vinyl.

Thanks a lot Ruckus  :thumbsup:
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ALady

Quote from: dragonboy on Oct 12, 2011, 04:22 PM
Did anyone start a new Jazz thread? Couldn't find one, my bad if they did...

Willis Jackson -- Nuther'N Like Thuther'N

Yesh yesh yesh.  Love this dude...did a burlesque routine to "Gator's Groove" last fall.

(sorry, just saw this  ;D)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

dragonboy

Video evidence?  ???
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ALady

;D  Not bloody likely!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Ruckus

Have you listened to any Mingus yet DB?

So I've been listening to some Badbadnotgood this weekend and I'm just blown away.  I freakin' love these guys.  I guess they can be considered somewhere between Notes from the Underground era MMW and B/R Duo but with no ibook beats added in and a much truer hip hop bent.  Their drummer is incredible! 

:o
BADBADNOTGOOD - HARD IN DA PAINT / WOW RARE

The Odd Future Sessions Part 1

Even makes me like Tyler the Creator
BADBADNOTGOOD x Tyler, The Creator - Orange Juice
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

dragonboy

Started out with Mingus Ah Um, needless to say I love it! Thanks a shitload Ruckus  :thumbsup: