Main Menu

alabama shakes

Started by ironmike, Oct 19, 2011, 04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Was just listening to the San Fran show with How Many More Times. 
Rock n Roll Kyle! 8)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Yea that's a great story Mahg33ta, glad I was there in spirit too  :thumbsup:

Talked to my sister and her BF the next day who were at the show...They stated that the band looked generally surprised at the reaction and they mentioned quite a few times the level of volume of the audience after each song....Hopefully Beantown will serve as a special city for them in the yrs to come!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

bold992006

Quote from: mahg33ta on Apr 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
Great show.  Definitely met my high expectations.   As fun as I've had in a while and SO glad I went.  Part of me thought "wait till Newport" but I can't see them replicating the vibe we had going on Mon night in a small bar again.   Brittany is great fun to watch.    Zach (what is he called here, zeebz?) and I were the first two in the door and were directly in front of her the whole time.   Couldn't stop watching her.   Here is a pic below - we are on the far left (I had vacated the rail to let that photographer shoot pics.   First time I had not worn a red sox or orioles hat to a concert in 20 years I think)
The song Always Alright is my early contender for Song of the Year, and it's not even on the album.   It brought the house down and when they finished the place just would not stop cheering.   The band clearly loves and is floored by the love they are getting from the crowd-  Brittany said "what the fuck just happened?" with a huge grin.   Fun to see them riding the wave of success and how could you not root for them?

This photographer is a friend of mine.    I had to be right near you guys....I was up front on the left about 2 rows back.

What a show.  I seriously could not take my eyes off Brittany.  She just owned that (extremely loud and awesome) crowd.  I think at one point she even said "loudest crowd noise on tour".   I saw them open for the North Miss Allstars at the paradise a few months back and the difference in their performance was just incredible...so much more confidence.

I honestly did not think any show would top Charles Bradley for me this year...but this show might have done it...straight through just an amazing show.

oistheone

Fiiiiiinally saw these guys last night, on the final night of their current tour.

Wow. Having a hard time putting into words what I just saw. Never witnessed such rockin' soul. They were the most note-perfect band I've heard in years. It was a completely flawless show. They brought out Lee Bains and the Glory Fires for a version of "You Ain't Alone" that I can safely say sent chills up and down the spines of everyone in attendance. Just unreal. Hoping a video surfaces.

Also played a lottttt of new material. Said they were thrilled with the reception the new stuff got. Just an amazing show. Can't wait to see 'em again in May! And hopefully again after that!

bold992006

a friend of mine's blog.   Great review of the Boston show and the full set for download.

http://www.visiblevoice.net/new-posts/alabama-shakes-live-at-the-paradise-boston-ma-41512.html

wolof7

Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
a friend of mine's blog.   Great review of the Boston show and the full set for download.

http://www.visiblevoice.net/new-posts/alabama-shakes-live-at-the-paradise-boston-ma-41512.html

Thanks for the link Bold...and special thanks to the shoutout from Mahg33ta during the song Always Alright..."pass me the whiskey, pass me the gin" ***WOLLLOFFF!!!*** glad to be there in proxy/spirit form!!!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

johnnYYac

Wouldn't you know, that show fits a CD perfectly!  Can't wait to burn a few...

EDIT:  Ain't she purdy?

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MarkW

Thanks for the link, bold.  I'll be seeing them in the UK on 10 May in Manchester.  The gig's at a Methodist hall - given that they won't have an alcohol license, the music had better make up for it.  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

CountSA

Quote from: mahg33ta on Apr 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

I had also read from previous reviews that they play a cover of How Many More Times.   As one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands, I definitely wanted to hear this.  Unfortunately, they seem to be playing it less and less lately, as they have a full-set of their own stuff finally.   I was worried I missed it and was praying to catch it before it got retired for good.

So, given my prime placement 18" from the setlist, I wrote on the back of my eticket "How Many More Times" and slapped it right on the bottom of the setlist before they finished their last song.   When Brittany noticed it she did a double take and cracked a huge smile.   Zach leaned over and said "well, at least we know she saw it" because her reaction was pretty special.     So I was extra pumped when they busted it out to end the show.   

I can't say 100% they wouldn't have played it anyway, but I'm pretty sure.   They did a 3 song encore before that and it felt like they were pretty much done (Brittany put her shoes on, lol).    Anyway, it's my story and I'm going to carry around the thought that she played it for me.    They did play it in Philly but I'm not sure they have anywhere else recently.

Awesome story!  The Boston show was amazing and the energy from the band and crowd was great (especially for a Sunday night).  I hope you were able to get  rid of your extra tix.

ironmike

best club show ive ever seen was at the paradise.....these guys are so fucking good

johnnYYac

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Xia

... can't wait to see them again in October.  The first time I saw them was in a nice little club that fit no more than 500 people, what a gig.  It had one of the greatest atmospheres I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.  Brittany a true star, love her, met her before the show and was surprised to see her smoking.  She was so cool, tried sneaking in a few fans who couldn't get tickets before it sold out!  I got her to autograph my ticket too, signed it with a little heart.

johnnYYac

el_chode

Whenever I play them for people, I get astonished reactions that the singer is female.

Has anyone else experienced this? Because I never ONCE thought it was a dude
I'm surrounded by assholes

Ob1jacobe

My kids love hold own.  My eight year was shocked that she was female.  I wouldnt think most adults would make that mistake.

oistheone

Anyone been to any shows lately? Like in the last month or so? I've got tickets to a show next week but something has come up and if I choose going to the concert over attending the newly-announced obligation, I'll probably be in the dog house with several people. I've seen the Shakes three times this year, so I'm just wondering, has the set changed much? I know they were playing a good chunk of new tunes (Always Alright, Makin' Me Itch, Heat Lightning) back in the spring and summer, but have they added new ones?

It would kill me to miss this show. But hopefully if the set hasn't changed much, it will slightly numb the pain.

Fully

I saw them last night at Live on the Green in Nashville. Set Hasn't changed all that much, but they did jam a little longer, and Nashville loved them.

kotchishm

I'm seeing them at Free Fest next weekend.  More excited for PTM but I'm sure they will rock
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf