Forum Album Club #8 - Astronautalis - This is Our Science

Started by Ruckus, Oct 19, 2011, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Ruckus

I kinda dumped on Midday Moon in my intro but it has its moments.  I think it's the whisper rap over the soul clap beat in the beginning that bugged me
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Yeah, Contrails is the hit ready track with Tegan but there are some damn fine lyrics in that tune.  And yeah, Holy Water is the Holy Grail of this album IMO

YimBlaylock

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
I kinda dumped on Midday Moon in my intro but it has its moments.  I think it's the whisper rap over the soul clap beat in the beginning that bugged me

Hasn't really struck me right just yet. I have the feeling it might eventually so I'll continue to give it listens, but something about it just turns me off. Feels like the album would've flowed a lot a better it if would've gone from "Dimitri Mendeleev" to "Contrails" IMO.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

Yea Holy Water is pretty sick. Olly olly oxen free!

YimBlaylock

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 19, 2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah, Contrails is the hit ready track with Tegan but there are some damn fine lyrics in that tune.  And yeah, Holy Water is the Holy Grail of this album IMO

Yeah, after my first listen, the two songs that stuck with me were "Thomas Jefferson" and "Holy Grail." "Grail" is so, so, so good. The Tom Waits and Modest Mouse references are right on. What a song.
It's all happening.

Ruckus

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 19, 2011, 10:04 PM

Yeah, after my first listen, the two songs that stuck with me were "Thomas Jefferson" and "Holy Grail." "Grail" is so, so, so good. The Tom Waits and Modest Mouse references are right on. What a song.
"Water"

Ruckus

Its not a bad life to live making out all day,
Living off the food and drinks inside the vending machines.
The sun's wide awake she rode off on her bike alone,
I never saw here again, we never speak.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 19, 2011, 10:04 PM

"Water"
Haha. Oops. You're comment's got me all confused.
It's all happening.

Ruckus

YimBlaylock

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 19, 2011, 10:18 PM
Good stuff!  Thanks guys :beer:
Back at ya Ruckus. I'm giving it another listen while I do some homework. This one's gonna be in rotation for a while.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

woodnymph

Whoa it's Wednesday night again already???  Well when I first saw CC post about this, the album art intrigued me, and I gave a half-listen to a few songs.  Wasn't caught right off the bat, but will definitely give another listen here soon.  I really do like some hip hop these days, it just used to come in waves of wanting to hear it and get into that vibe..... and I haven't had a hip hop wave in a minute.

Love to keep an open mind to all though, and will definitely give it a listen!!  :)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Ruckus

Quote from: woodnymph on Oct 19, 2011, 10:44 PM
Whoa it's Wednesday night again already???  Well when I first saw CC post about this, the album art intrigued me, and I gave a half-listen to a few songs.  Wasn't caught right off the bat, but will definitely give another listen here soon.  I really do like some hip hop these days, it just used to come in waves of wanting to hear it and get into that vibe..... and I haven't had a hip hop wave in a minute.

Love to keep an open mind to all though, and will definitely give it a listen!!  :)
Definitely don't pigeonhole it as hip hop Jen.  I actually think you might enjoy the lyrics quite a bit.  (Wishful thinking?)  He's quite the wordsmith.  Look forward to your take :)

Jon T.

I really hated to miss this.  My grandmother is having some serious health issues so my nights are a little hectic right now. I was checking in from my phone and wanted to chime in, but it's kind of pain from the phone...

Anyway, I thought Ruckus' desciption of the album was spot on.  Except I don't mind Midday Moon.  I would add "The River, The Woods" as stand-out, as well.  Just like Blaylock said, I was immediately blown away from the second that song started. 

QuoteThe actual tone of his voice took a bit of acquiring for me to get to used to
I agree.  As much as I hate to compare him to Eminiem (for obvious reasons) there is a similar tone to their voices.  To be clear, I think Eminem is great (particularly his older stuff), but I didn't want this to be the same.  Luckily, other than them both being a little nasally (and white) the similarities end.

I liked the comment that he seems cool or whatever it was.  In reading a little about him on his site, he does seem like a very sincere dude.  I love on Holy Water his inhale through his nose then his almost growl-like"yeaaaaah".  You can tell he was just feeling it right there.

Woody, I'm the same way with hip hop... I love it, but it comes in phases.  Even though, like Rob said, you can't pigeonhole this as hip hop, it has definitely put me back in a hip hop phase.  8)

Anyway, I'm hoping to see him next Tuesday.  I'm really looking forward to seeing him with a band.  I'll let you all know (hopefully) how it goes.

he.who.forgets

Late to the discussion as I've been cramming Divine Providence since I'm seeing the Tick tonight.  Gave this a listen once through yesterday and I'm digging it.  I'll have to echo several of ya'lls comments.  This dude's definitely got lyrical talent.  Didnt have a chance to really digest all the lyrics as I listened at work and cant crank the volume like I would at home.  I agree that the vocals have a similar characteristic to Eminem, but these are two very different styles in my opinion.  I love the fact that he tours with a live band, I bet it's a pretty badass show.  Anyway, I'll comment more once I can give this a couple more listens.

Jon T.

After reading some about him and his nomadic living, I love the line from Dimitri Mendeleev, "I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey and waves".  8)

This show is Tuesday night and I have a meeting at 7am Wednesday morning.  I feel lke shit is getting stacked against me on this one.  Probably just make me try that much harder to go.

Jon T.

Ruckus

capt. scotty

I listened to Pomegranate when it came out a few years ago, maybe not even the entire album, and Astronautalis was real hit or miss for me. I'll have to revisit that now, but for as genrebending as this is musically, there really wasnt a song here that I didnt like and the album was a good listen. Im going to have to give this many more listens to really get a feel for the lyrics, and even favorite songs as nothing really stood out but that has more to do with how solid the whole album is (maybe The River The Woods, Dimitri Medeleev, Holy Water, and Secrets of Our Lips). I guess Midday Moon might have been my least favorite but I still liked it. It felt to me the more rap-heavy songs were the first few, but I could be wrong. Im not sure if that was by plan or not, but I think once you get to Measure the Globe, the rest of the album is even more diverse both lyrically and musically. I agree with what others said in here that when he's not rapping, there were numerous times that I thought it sounded like TV On The Radio and at other times Modest Mouse. It seemed like most people who listened (including myself) actually like hip hop, so its a shame more people who dont like it didnt give it listen. Id be interested in their thoughts. Good point by YimBlaylock that you almost forget youre listening to rap with this album.

This looks like another one that might have a shot at my top 10 this year along with Frank Turner once I give each enough listens to have a better idea  :beer:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons