Rich Robinson - Through A Crooked Sun

Started by Shug, Nov 07, 2011, 06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Is anyone else digging this album as much as I am? This record makes Rich sound like a composer, and I mean that in a classical music way. It comes out very easy to listen to, but there is a lot of carefully constructed song structure in these songs and I find that beautiful. I have yet to get a handle on each song, but I immediately loved the riff in Lost and Found. Station Man (old Fleetwood Mac) is a great cover, Rich just has a wealth of very very tasty influences (pre-Dark Side Pink Floyd, Manassas, Nick Drake, Neil Young, Woodstock-era Bob Dylan, mid '60s Beatles, etc) and he's doing what an artist does, blending them all together into an identifiable yet unique sound and drawing from all his life experiences to create these songs.

Based on the quality songwriting Rich has been turning out in the last few years, and his long history of coming up with killer riffs and great music, I'm feeling more and more how huge Rich's contribution to the Crowes has been over the years. I think Rich has quietly become a master-craftsman and he's flying under the radar with this solor record, no one seems to be noticing, at least not on the message boards I frequent.

I can't wait to see this show when it rolls into PHX as the last night of the tour.

http://richrobinson.net/
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

ChiefOKONO

I need to listen more but i really like it.  Impressed for sure, and will be going to the show.
He still could do some work on his singing but i guess that's the way it is.

rob

"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

Shug

My review of the PHX show.  Can't wait to see him play live again!  He's well worth checking out live, just a solid, no frills good old fashioned rock show.

http://sugartown-shug.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-caught-phoenix-az-show-of-rich.html
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

ChiefOKONO

I really enjoyed the show too.  i think his band is really good, esp. the keyboardist who i guess is from particle