The Walking Dead Thread (Spoilers Ahead)

Started by el_chode, Nov 29, 2010, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I've been underwhelmed with TWD this season.  There were some promising moments, but the mid-season finale and subsequent mid-season premier, themselves obnoxious concepts, were both full of silly moments, such as the arena fights.  Like the source material, I can't take it too seriously.  A recent article in Rolling Stone suggests a messy finale in two weeks, with 27 casualties to look forward to. 

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bowl of soup

I'm sorta new to this show, but thanks to endless repeats - I've caught up quickly. First thing is that it will never measure up to Breaking Bad. Both have somewhat far-fetched concepts, but BB sticks to its set of rules whereas WD seems to change the rules to suit the episode. It seems to be much harder now to become a zombie than it did earlier and for the love of god, would you please leave fucking Georgia and make your way to the nearest island? Allthough we would then be introduced to swimming zombies.

I will say this - WD has the best open of any TV show ever; 20 seconds and the moood is set. Also, it has a great tension built in. I mean everytime that someone goes to the woods, you move to the edge of your seat. And last weeks episode had a Tarantinoesque triple tension when the Gov was chasing Andrea while zombies stumbled around.

The show plays better as a chase or a road trip, which is why I pray that this conflict gets resolved and they hit the fucking road again.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

Quote from: bowl of soup on Mar 21, 2013, 09:59 PM
I'm sorta new to this show, but thanks to endless repeats - I've caught up quickly. First thing is that it will never measure up to Breaking Bad. Both have somewhat far-fetched concepts, but BB sticks to its set of rules whereas WD seems to change the rules to suit the episode. It seems to be much harder now to become a zombie than it did earlier and for the love of god, would you please leave fucking Georgia and make your way to the nearest island? Allthough we would then be introduced to swimming zombies.

I will say this - WD has the best open of any TV show ever; 20 seconds and the moood is set. Also, it has a great tension built in. I mean everytime that someone goes to the woods, you move to the edge of your seat. And last weeks episode had a Tarantinoesque triple tension when the Gov was chasing Andrea while zombies stumbled around.

The show plays better as a chase or a road trip, which is why I pray that this conflict gets resolved and they hit the fucking road again.

The Andrea-Gov chase was disappointingly contrived. She gets chased through the woods and "brilliantly" decides to hide in a seemingly abandoned warehouse on a road that the Governor can access - and just happens to be driving on. Why wouldn't she go somewhere where a truck can't drive, i.e., the woods! The scenes in the warehouse were well done, but we've seen it all hundreds of times before. Oh, and the other scene where the zombies were torched in the pit? Big revelation who did that, eh?! Dumb plots I tells ya. Still, Andrea's character is one of the best on the show and the Govenor is one of the main reasons that I keep tuning in.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Willard1979

Love this show!  Can't wait til tomorrow, when Season 4 comes out on DVD.  :tongue: