The 25 Best Live Acts of 2011 - According to Paste Magazine

Started by headhunter, Dec 02, 2011, 01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzy

Cool find...thanks.

One thing caught me funny. Imagine not knowing much about MMJ and reading the paragraph. You think, "cool, I like energy, and a rocking live show cause that IS missing in bands these days!"

Then you click on the video to see what these dudes are all about only to get a monotone talking to about 50 people, during the day, about taking naps and things. You let that pass and gear up for some rock as the lead singer strums his guitar. "Alright, here we go" you think only to hear Jim go, "sllllloooooowwwww............not...the meter...of...todayyyyy."

Weird choice of a video to prove your point about what you call the best live band.

getchoo

Glad to see the guys on the top of the list, but  the 11th position of Flaming Lips must be some kind of joke. I saw them last year and it was terrible. They played 7 or 8 songs in almost 100 minutes of show! They extended every song till death, and even breath taking and emotional tunes like Race For The Price or Do You Realize sounded weak and boring.

Wayne Coyne should stop smoking cheap crack.

buster douglas

Quote from: getchoo on Jan 22, 2012, 04:51 PM
Glad to see the guys on the top of the list, but  the 11th position of Flaming Lips must be some kind of joke. I saw them last year and it was terrible. They played 7 or 8 songs in almost 100 minutes of show! They extended every song till death, and even breath taking and emotional tunes like Race For The Price or Do You Realize sounded weak and boring.

I felt the same way after seeing them close a festival last year.  I'd actually been really excited to see them for years, knowing about their crazy light show and carnivalesque stage antics... but it was just so contrived.  They need to switch it up or something.  Wayne Coyne wouldn't stop babbling and self-hyping between songs.  He was really annoying, it's as if he's his own biggest fan by far.  Was sad to say that I left extremely disappointed.

On topic, great to see MMJ at #1 !!  They let the music speak for itself, something the Lips need to go back to doing I think.

johnnYYac

Quote from: buster douglas on Feb 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
Quote from: getchoo on Jan 22, 2012, 04:51 PM

I felt the same way after seeing them close a festival last year.  I'd actually been really excited to see them for years, knowing about their crazy light show and carnivalesque stage antics... but it was just so contrived.  They need to switch it up or something.  Wayne Coyne wouldn't stop babbling and self-hyping between songs.  He was really annoying, it's as if he's his own biggest fan by far.  Was sad to say that I left extremely disappointed.

On topic, great to see MMJ at #1 !!  They let the music speak for itself, something the Lips need to go back to doing I think.
I've yet to experience live Lips, but Coyne sure likes to tweet, so I can imagine what he's like on stage.  The guy posts to Twitter constantly.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.