LBI fishing boat accident

Started by ericm, Jan 11, 2012, 05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Pretty sad news here on the Island as a local fisherman died when his boat went down in the Atlantic early this am.

Hits close to home for us, as he was one of my son's best friends relatives. The best friend was one of the boats to respond to the distress call. :(

Details still rolling in, but here's one of the 1st news links. :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45956265

"Where's Jim going?"

br00ke

woah .. that is tragic and heartbreaking  :'( much love going out to the family and community

ericm

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
woah .. that is tragic and heartbreaking  :'( much love going out to the family and community

Thanks Brooke. It really is a small, close knit community here year round, and just about everyone knows someone involved in this.

Story is getting sadder by the moment, but could've been worse. His boat usually has a  bigger crew.

"Where's Jim going?"

tdb810

Quote from: ericm on Jan 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
Quote from: br00ke on Jan 11, 2012, 05:47 PM

Thanks Brooke. It really is a small, close knit community here year round, and just about everyone knows someone involved in this.

Story is getting sadder by the moment, but could've been worse. His boat usually has a  bigger crew.
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Eric - so tragic.
.....Back at the Model Home

headhunter

Wow, so sorry to hear this Eric.  Sending out positive thoughts to you and those involved.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Fully

That is terrible. I'm so sorry for the hurt your community is going through.

bluesky

How sad, prays out to you and your friends and community Eric.

woodnymph

Oh my goodness Eric, I'm so sorry to hear this!!  I'll be keeping you and your community in my thoughts and prayers.  So hard when it's such a close-knit community, but there's strength in that too, thankfully!  Sending lots of love your way
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

peafunk31

Wow that's terrible Eric :'( Good thoughts & prayers going out to you & all affected.
Homer no function beer well without.

ericm

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to pass all the good thoughts, vibes, and prayers along.

Commercial fishing is a big part of the local economy here, and even though I'm not a part of it, my family, and I have many friends who are. It's a tough, and dangerous life, but these guys love it. Many families are a part of it, and some have been doing it for generations. This Cap't was a very experienced,popular man, and has a lot of family in the industry.

When something like this happens it sends shock waves down the whole Island. There isn't a billboard, or sign out here that isn't remembering Cap't Mears. Both of my children were raised, and are friends with this Captain's family, neices, nephews, etc, and they've been over our house many times. A very sad day on LBI for sure.  :(
"Where's Jim going?"

ALady

Wow, that's really sad.  So sorry, eric.  Really says something about your community that they can pull together in times like this, though.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires