MMJ vinyl help

Started by Dillsnufus, Jan 09, 2012, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillsnufus

I'm listening to my copy of at dawn and am hearing pops, skips , and dust. would a cleaning kit fix this or do i need to search for a new copy . lucky enough it looks like they stopped pressing this lp. 

-Dillsnufus

ps yea just realized i should posted this in the mmj & co sections. sorry
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Dillsnufus

would a toothbrush work? also i think i remember a place (urban outfitter i think) that sells a cleaner for 16.99 . so you're saying it would fix it?

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=23621352&CAWELAID=1061100480
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

johnnYYac

For the price of replacing the album, I'd say its worth a try.  But what do I know?  ;)  Maybe we need to hear from Crispy or headhunter or other enthusiasts...

I think, if you use a toothbrush to clean an album, you're gonna regret it.  That and Brillo pads.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Dillsnufus

lol ok i was half joking anyway. i'm gonna buy the cleaning kit i linked above. my guess is that it will cure the dust and crackling but not the skipping.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

headhunter

Johnny's suggestion is probably best. Some distilled water and a decent brush (not a toothbrush)  will usually work if the lp doesn't have real damage (ie, a scratch).

Cleaning the cartridge with a cartridge brush, will also remove some grunge that causes crackles and pops.

However,  if the record is damaged from a dirty cartridge or even scratched from the inner lp sleeve, then it could be time for a new lp.  Or worse, you may have to buy the cd.  ;)
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Dillsnufus

already got the cd....but i FIXED IT. got a cleaning kit from urban outfitter (see link above) and with some elbow grease fixed it. there's a lil crackle in the area but better that.

update: pww is not fixable so i'm looking for a new copy
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Im The Dude

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Jan 09, 2012, 08:41 PM
already got the cd....but i FIXED IT. got a cleaning kit from urban outfitter (see link above) and with some elbow grease fixed it. there's a lil crackle in the area but better that.

what copy do you have? color vinyl or original pressing?

7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

Dillsnufus

Quote from: Im The Dude on Jan 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
Quote from: Dillsnufus on Jan 09, 2012, 08:41 PM

what copy do you have? color vinyl or original pressing?

red and gold. ordered a new copy from BN
Gazziza My Dillsnufus