Main Menu

Record Store Day

Started by TheThird, Feb 29, 2012, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Looks like Jeff forgot to add the M. Ward 7" to his list, unless he put it back.  :)
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

I still haven't heard Willie Nelson's Just Breath. Any one heard it? Is it good?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Penny Lane

i was just asking Jeff about that...i'd love to hear that!

i just got the Patterson vinyl and had him sign it on sat...he played the song at the in-store performance at Criminal Records..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

headhunter

Hey, where did that picture come from?

I saw Karl (the Owner) take that picture although I didn't buy that taking back Sunday album.

That shot is actually from my return trip to the store a few hours later (to pick up the Flaming Lips album that wasn't in yet when the store opened) and I did pick up that Lucero lp that I am holding (saw them with Penny Lane Friday the night before and was still not ready for prime time when this photo was taken).

Earlier in the day when the store first opened it was SOO packed you couldn't take a picture like that.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

FiddleCastro

Quote from: headhunter on Apr 23, 2012, 02:45 PM

I saw Karl (the Owner) take that picture although I didn't buy that taking back Sunday album.

That shot is actually from my return trip to the store a few hours later (to pick up the Flaming Lips album that wasn't in yet when the store opened) and I did pick up that Lucero lp that I am holding (saw them with Penny Lane Friday the night before and was still not ready for prime time when this photo was taken).

Earlier in the day when the store first opened it was SOO packed you couldn't take a picture like that.

I saw it on their facebook! I had work that morning so I made it there pretty late and  only got my hands on New Multitudes and the Quadrophenia demos.

and this is a picture of the line. Whoa!

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Apr 23, 2012, 02:49 PM

I saw it on their facebook! I had work that morning so I made it there pretty late and  only got my hands on New Multitudes and the Quadrophenia demos.

Holy crap.... RSD must not be a big deal at all here, because I've never, ever seen a line at any of the local shops.

And I had no idea there was another release of Quadrophenia demos! ARGH! I was lucky enough to grab #0001 of the first round of releases.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 23, 2012, 03:33 PM

Holy crap.... RSD must not be a big deal at all here, because I've never, ever seen a line at any of the local shops.

And I had no idea there was another release of Quadrophenia demos! ARGH! I was lucky enough to grab #0001 of the first round of releases.

my friend got in line at Criminal Records in ATL at 9:30 *it opened at 10:30 and was not out of there and checked out until 12:30. the line inside was probably wrapped around 100 people or so the entire day till 3...it was ridiculous..

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 23, 2012, 04:06 PM

my friend got in line at Criminal Records in ATL at 9:30 *it opened at 10:30 and was not out of there and checked out until 12:30. the line inside was probably wrapped around 100 people or so the entire day till 3...it was ridiculous..

Nashville was ridiculous as well. Luckily, there was quite a bit of entertainment. But it was so cold on Saturday that I just watched a couple of bands and then went home. I went back on Sunday and got what I wanted.

headhunter

Made me feel GREAT to see how long the line was.
I Love taht people are buying vinyl and supporting the local stores.

I was about even with the end of the stores (60-70 back) and the line had at least 200 people behind me.  Very well organized.

Looney Tunes (my local store) is an AWESOME place and really gets a great supply of stuff every year for RSD.  I can't imagine that any of the dozens of places in NYC had a better supply of limited edition releases than they did.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Dillsnufus

at the faneuil hall newbury comics in boston had a long line. ( i was like 75th)  Then i found out a band called fun was playing there . closer to opening an employee told everyone who was just buying records to come with her. I ended up being fourth in a record buying only line. I always go to this newbury comics for this reason. the record store day people usually go to the newbury street one and that one was chaotic. this one was too but only for the first 5-10 minutes.  not to mention the smart people working there opened the doors to both lines at the same time so not much help.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Apr 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
at the faneuil hall newbury comics in boston had a long line. ( i was like 75th)  Then i found out a band called fun was playing there . closer to opening an employee told everyone who was just buying records to come with her. I ended up being fourth in a record buying only line. I always go to this newbury comics for this reason. the record store day people usually go to the newbury street one and that one was chaotic. this one was too but only for the first 5-10 minutes.  not to mention the smart people working there opened the doors to both lines at the same time so not much help.

dear christ in heaven you dodged a bullet not having to see tht band. I saw them open for deer tick at a student event last year at Penn. Catchy, pop-punk that was listenable for one song, but the next dozen that they played were identical.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

gardenparty

I got:
M. ward 7"
Blitzen Trapper 7"
Edward Sharpe 7"
MMJ - Friends Again 7" (supirsed they still had it)

Also, M. Ward did a show at the store and signed albums after.  Pretty cool day overall!

ralph

Looks like everyone got good hauls!

Hoping to hear today what has made its way down to the Southern Hemisphere.

My wishlist was:
Uncle Tupelo 7" box
3 x Uncle Tupelo albums
Heady Fwends
Mynor Birds 7"
New Multitudes 10"
Pretty in Pink & Breakfast club S/T - on pink & white vinyl for mrs Ralph...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

weeniebeenie

I got the Justin Townes Earle 7" (which is pretty cool 'cause now I have all of his RSD releases). I wanted the Eddie Vedder one but the shop I went to didn't have it.
How loud can silence get?

Im The Dude

Quote from: Fully on Apr 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 23, 2012, 04:06 PM

Nashville was ridiculous as well. Luckily, there was quite a bit of entertainment. But it was so cold on Saturday that I just watched a couple of bands and then went home. I went back on Sunday and got what I wanted.

That picture is what it was like for me at Attic Records. I was so surprised at how many people showed up. Glad vinyl is alive and well.

The M. Ward 45 is really good BTW...did anyone else get the uncle tupelo vinyls? or the single set (which is what I got)?
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

BH

Finally found some stuff today.   I wanted more but settled for M. Ward, New Multitudes and CRB 7".
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

No digital download on the New Multitudes?   If anyone has one of those mp3 record players can you hook me up?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

Quote from: BH on Apr 25, 2012, 09:28 AM
No digital download on the New Multitudes?   If anyone has one of those mp3 record players can you hook me up?

ditto!

i want to hear that willie nelson eddie V cover, too!!

searchinbig

PM sent
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

johnnYYac

Quote from: searchinbig on Apr 25, 2012, 09:44 AM

PM sent
Me also please!  I have the 10".  No downloads for the three Unc Tup albums either.  Forced me to enter the dark alley of the interweb.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.