Rest In Banjo Heaven, Earl!

Started by woodnymph, Mar 29, 2012, 12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Earl Scruggs passed away today, at the age of 88..... Earl we'll keep on lovin' you!!

Old & in the Way - Til The End Of The World Rolls Round

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-03-28/earl-scruggs-banjo-legend-bluegrass-dies/53841194/1

"Rather than speak out about the connections between folk and country in the war-torn, politically contentious '60s, he simply showed up at folk festivals and played, at least when he and Flatt weren't at the Grand Ole Opry. During the long-hair/ short-hair skirmishes of the '60s and '70s, he played with Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and The Byrds. And when staunch fans of bluegrass — a genre that would not exist in a recognizable form without Scruggs' banjo — railed against stylistic experimentation, Scruggs happily jammed away with sax player King Curtis, sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar, piano man Elton John and anyone else whose music he fancied."

And the man's from Shelby, NC!! Not too far from here!  :-*
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

smhoffmann02

Sad news, indeed.  A legend who's legacy will live on.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Old & In The Way.
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

woodnymph

Quote from: smhoffmann02 on Mar 29, 2012, 12:13 PM
Sad news, indeed.  A legend who's legacy will live on.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Old & In The Way.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Really wish I would've somehow seen him with Ravi and Elton!!  I can just imagine it!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time