Main Menu

Jonathan Wilson

Started by wolof7, Mar 05, 2012, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

I didn't see a thread so I thought I'd start one.

This guy's new album Gentle Spirit is fantastic through and through. He is often credited with re-igniting the Laurel Canyon scene as he and the Robinson brothers (Black Crowes) had jam sessions at his place with the likes of Robbie Robertson, Benmont Tench, The Jayhawks, Eddie Vedder and many others. He also produced both Dawes albums.

His sound is what I can only describe as psych-folk with some new-agey productions which sounds terrible but it isn't...it mixes CSNY, Roy Harper and even early Floyd and Yes. And the album cover looks like this and tracks are named these to give you an idea:

1.  Gentle Spirit
2.  Can We Really Party Today?
3.  Desert Raven
4.  Canyon in the Rain
5.  Natural Rhapsody
6.  Ballad of the Pines
7.  The Way I Feel
8.  Don't Give Your Heart to a Rambler
9.  Woe Is Me
10. Waters Down
11. Rolling Universe
12. Magic Everywhere
13. Valley of the Silver Moon...
listen here: http://songsofjonathanwilson.com/music

....and he's playin Newport Folk Fest this year!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mjk73

I thought DB had one...or maybe he's just mentioned him a lot and with good reason. Album is excellent.

mahg33ta

thanks- he's been on my list to check out and now that he's at Newport I should get around to it.   Glad to see it's streaming somewhere so I will definitely explore asap.

EasyRyder

Many thanks, Wolof!! I'm not sure how I missed him last year, but I'm really enjoying this stuff. I can't really compare it to anything I've heard before which is always good.

Can't imagine how strange his set at Newport folk will be, but wish I could make it.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

wolof7

Quote from: EasyRyder on Mar 06, 2012, 06:27 PM
Many thanks, Wolof!! I'm not sure how I missed him last year, but I'm really enjoying this stuff. I can't really compare it to anything I've heard before which is always good.

Can't imagine how strange his set at Newport folk will be, but wish I could make it.

No probs Easy glad you like
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Sidus

I've seen him opening with his band for Wilco some months ago. Can't remember it very well, it didn't impress me that much then. I remember there were a couple of great, standing-out songs, but at that time I also found many of them pretty similar and boring (I didn't know anything of his work). Never listened to any of his studio work yet, but I keep reading good things about him, so I might give it a chance some time ;)

dragonboy

Quote from: Sidus on Mar 07, 2012, 09:08 PMI remember there were a couple of great, standing-out songs, but at that time I also found many of them pretty similar

That's kind of how I feel about the album - I like it but a couple of the tracks are clear standouts (Natural Rhapsody, Desert Raven & Gentle Spirit)

Still can't believe I missed him live when Dawes supported then played as his backing band & Jackson Browne joined them on stage. I think IHL went to that show?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

IHL

Funnily enough, I saw Dawes last week at the Borderline and they mentioned how much they enjoyed that show. It was great at the end when they all played a cover of Warren Zevon's 'Lawyers, Guns & Money' Did you see Lucero at the two Brixton shows last month?

dragonboy

Lucero tickets @ the Windmill sold out before I even knew about them, same for Dawes. We did see Deep Dark Woods there a couple of weeks ago though, best show I've been to in ages...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

IHL

Heard good things about DDW - love a bit of pedal steel. Lucero shows were great (just Ben & Rick), easily one of my favourite venues too..