Main Menu

Honest Man

Started by Tracy 2112, Mar 14, 2012, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

While At Dawn is on my list of best albums ever, there are days when I skip over Honest Man   :-\
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mahg33ta

agreed.  It's my dirty little secret that I don't care for the song that much, on the album or live.    I don't state that much because most people get so excited when it pops up on a setlist.    When it was the only curveball on an otherwise vanilla Boston setlist last summer, I knew the setlist gods were f-ing with me.

Fully

Well, at least all of you are being "honest men". ::)

el_chode

While At Dawn is on my list of best albums ever, there were days when I skipped over  Honest Man until one day it just clicked
I'm surrounded by assholes

rusty95

I love me some honest man but the album version is very subpar to some of the older live cuts.  Maybe some of the live bootleg experts can help us out here  ???
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

Jellyfish

I wish they would have left off Honest Man and put Chills in it's place.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

zanjam

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
While At Dawn is on my list of best albums ever, there were days when I skipped over  Honest Man until one day it just clicked

Agreed
anything + reverb always = better

johnnYYac

I never skip it, and Montreal reminded me why.

I'm the bobbing bald head directly below Jim. 

My Morning Jacket -- Honest Man -- Live at the Metropolis, July 12 2011

I took some photos, too.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
I never skip it, and Montreal reminded me why.

I'm the bobbing bald head directly below Jim. 

My Morning Jacket -- Honest Man -- Live at the Metropolis, July 12 2011

I took some photos, too.

Rock it out, JohnnY!

buymycar

Jim's acoustic demo of Honest Man from the At Dawn bonus disc is phenomenal.  It's also only about half the length of the album version.  I still don't understand why it didn't make the cut for the Tennessee Fire/At Dawn Demos disc.

jimsflyingv

Honest Man, MMJ playing honest blues rock, what could be wrong about it....first song of At Dawn I really loved :)

sweatboard

the radar watches me from above
shouting down.......
I hope you make it on this earth

case closed
There's Still Time.........

Ruckus

oh you provocateur tracy :P

I'll definitely take the middle ground on this one.  Someone definitely posted a while back that he would always skip Honest Man because it broke up the flow of the album.  I agree with that.  It stands alone, a great song.  Yet its placement feels inorganic at best within the near perfection that is At Dawn.  A Demo Chills replacement makes sense.  Oh well, I love it nonetheless.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

danz

good luck comes from trying
you gave up
;)

Tracy 2112

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Mar 15, 2012, 03:06 AM
Honest Man, MMJ playing honest blues rock, what could be wrong about it....first song of At Dawn I really loved :)

It's sort of like how I love hamburgers w/cheese. mmmmmmm  Perfect! And, I usually get mustard, ketchup and lettuce on my hamburgers/cheese. However, sometimes I may get pickles and/or onions. However, if I didn't order a hamburger w/cheese with pickles and it came with pickles, I would probably like it anyway but not as much as without pickles (at that particular time in my life) as I had ordered it.

That's where Honest Man hits me; it's the pickles I didn't order on At Dawn.

tdb810

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
Quote from: jimsflyingv on Mar 15, 2012, 03:06 AM

It's sort of like how I love hamburgers w/cheese. mmmmmmm  Perfect! And, I usually get mustard, ketchup and lettuce on my hamburgers/cheese. However, sometimes I may get pickles and/or onions. However, if I didn't order a hamburger w/cheese with pickles and it came with pickles, I would probably like it anyway but not as much as without pickles (at that particular time in my life) as I had ordered it.

That's where Honest Man hits me; it's the pickles I didn't order on At Dawn.

It's uncanny that you should mention pickles.  A woman at work told a story today about a man being arrested for peeing in a pickle barrel at shop rite.  Hmm. 

Anyway, LOVE the song live, it's kinda dirty, but think it's an odd fit on At Dawn.

.....Back at the Model Home

Jahmazed

I posted awhile back and and asked what was people's least favorite MMJ song.  (mine is Libararian - still don't like it sorry).  I was honestly  ;D stunned at the number of replies for Honest Man.  Personally I love the straight ahead blues rock of the song.  The first time I saw it live in Burlington it absolutely blew me away, and imho was one of the highlights of the show.   

Devil Ledbetter

This happened to me with Nashville to Kentucky.

I have no problem with Honest Man, but if I never hear Two Halves again it will be too soon. I've deleted it from all digital versions of Evil Urges, so I suppose it will never have a chance to click. Those lyrics make me cringe.
We understand it's the '90s.

Tracy 2112

This happened with me and the Violent Femmes. Unfortunantely, it took nearly 15 years...

Jellyfish

I don't hate the song but I think it takes away from the flow of the album.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need