Is it Just me? How Come No one has ever heard of MMJ?

Started by tbear, Mar 24, 2012, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub82

i have actually heard of more people that are familiar with band of horses than mmj. but, when i sent to see BOH and then MMJ in dallas this year, there were way more people at mmj.

i have been obsessed with this band for 10 years, and frankly, couldnt give a shit if anyone else has heard of them. my opinion is in concrete with this band. they are my alltime favorite, and i do not even care anymore to convince others why. if you dont get it, thats a you problem.

tbear

Quote from: dub82 on Mar 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
i have actually heard of more people that are familiar with band of horses than mmj. but, when i sent to see BOH and then MMJ in dallas this year, there were way more people at mmj.

i have been obsessed with this band for 10 years, and frankly, couldnt give a shit if anyone else has heard of them. my opinion is in concrete with this band. they are my alltime favorite, and i do not even care anymore to convince others why. if you dont get it, thats a you problem.

I am not looking for validation. I am completely with you. They are simply my favorite and I could care less what anybody else thinks. But when my 17 year old nephew, a huge music lover, a kid that is listening to the Allmans and Jerry,  has never even heard of MMJ, it makes me sad.  ;)

He is missing a band that is in it's PRIME.

(which is why this uncle is trying to get the boy to Forecastle!!)

rincon

Yesterday I worked with this new guy. first time I ever met him. We do a lot of field work, and I showed him the mp3 player sinc cord I keep in the work van. He asked me what music I like. I played Highly Suspicious, just because it is so unlike the rest. He put his i-phone to the speaker and up popped info on My Morning Jacket. He had never heard of them. I played him Okononkos highlights. Back at the office, on his phone, we watched the Conan OBH video, and the Letterman Gidoen. He said they rocked and was totally going to check them out more.
    I don't think it has anything to do with Jim's voice or obscure lyrics. Plenty of people hate Plant and Morrison also. I truly think it starts with a kindergarten sounding name. People just roll their eyes when you mention them, and are prejudiced before they listen. That is why I never told the new guy at work their name, I just played some. Technology overruled me though.

aMillionDreams

Having been a fan since the beginning I get a kick out of how many people know. I used to tell everyone to check them out. Now it seems that everyone already has
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Woody

Quote from: tbear on Mar 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
I kinda had a front row seat to what popularity did to the Grateful Dead.

I joined up when I was 15, 16 in the early/mid 80's to the bemused looks of the grizzled Dead veterans who (for the most part) took us under their collective wings. It wasnt long, though, that swelling crowds out grew or tore down (literally in Pittsburgh) the smaller venues. Summer shows were soon relagated to to the souless canyons of Giants Stadium and RFK and the delights of Merriweather Post and Red-Rocks were a distant memory.

It was sad to lose that intimacy but there was also something comforting in the massive recognition: that there were so many like me who saw how special that band was.

That being said, I will happily spend a night (or two or three) every summer til the end of time seeing MMJ at MWP, scratching my head and wondering why it isnt full.

Well said as I had a similar seat watching the Dead venues get huge and the scene get out of hand.  I live in the nyc area and now I'm nervous that MMJ will only play MSG going forward which I hope is not the case.  I pray they don't get popular and we keep it as our little secret.

The fact is that most people in this country simply do not know good music when then hear it.  Nobody is willing to "listen" and give the music a chance to grow on them.  God forbid a tune is mellow/slow, doesn't have a hook, etc.  If it doesn't grab them right away they lose interest... welcome to America.

A great band like MMJ just floats around under the radar (for the most party anyway) and a band like the Black Keys sells out MSG in 15 min.  I'm taking nothing away from the BK but they aren't half the band MMJ is IMO and their music has nowhere near as much depth. The difference... a hit record and a lot of hooks.

I do agree with the original post that it's sad so many younger kids have yet to be turned on to MMJ who is arguably in their prime.  They are one of the best live bands on tour right now and a lot of folks are missing out on an incredible musical experience.

Cameron

I wish less people had heard of them so I could see them in small clubs again!  ;)

bluesky

My brother John just posted on Facebook that he thinks my hometown's Summer Celebration should get MMJ to perform. Usually the acts are old bands and small time pop stars. I am not sure people there even know who MMJ are.

Cameron

Quote from: Woody on Mar 27, 2012, 09:09 PM

I joined up when I was 15, 16 in the early/mid 80's to the bemused looks of the grizzled Dead veterans who (for the most part) took us under their collective wings. It wasnt long, though, that swelling crowds out grew or tore down (literally in Pittsburgh) the smaller venues. Summer shows were soon relagated to to the souless canyons of Giants Stadium and RFK and the delights of Merriweather Post and Red-Rocks were a distant memory.

It was sad to lose that intimacy but there was also something comforting in the massive recognition: that there were so many like me who saw how special that band was.

That being said, I will happily spend a night (or two or three) every summer til the end of time seeing MMJ at MWP, scratching my head and wondering why it isnt full.

Well said as I had a similar seat watching the Dead venues get huge and the scene get out of hand.  I live in the nyc area and now I'm nervous that MMJ will only play MSG going forward which I hope is not the case.  I pray they don't get popular and we keep it as our little secret.

The fact is that most people in this country simply do not know good music when then hear it.  Nobody is willing to "listen" and give the music a chance to grow on them.  God forbid a tune is mellow/slow, doesn't have a hook, etc.  If it doesn't grab them right away they lose interest... welcome to America.

A great band like MMJ just floats around under the radar (for the most party anyway) and a band like the Black Keys sells out MSG in 15 min.  I'm taking nothing away from the BK but they aren't half the band MMJ is IMO and their music has nowhere near as much depth. The difference... a hit record and a lot of hooks.

I do agree with the original post that it's sad so many younger kids have yet to be turned on to MMJ who is arguably in their prime.  They are one of the best live bands on tour right now and a lot of folks are missing out on an incredible musical experience.

I've been a Keys fan for awhile. They didn't make their big jump in popularity until they started licensing their music to EVERYONE! Been watching the NCAA tourney? Can't get away from them.

Ruckus

Quote from: Woody on Mar 27, 2012, 09:09 PM

I gotta say I disagree with a lot of this other then our mutual love of MMJ.  The Keys and Dan have quite a discography of good to great music and I'll take most of their output over the last two albums by MMJ.  Also, it's quite the generalization you make about America.  I'm not sure if you are familiar with pop music in Asia, South America, and Europe in general but it often dominates more than American pop music does here in their respective cultures while they do not produce the depth and variety of music that is created here.  I grant an exception to the Swedes who know what's up for sure :thumbsup:

I've had this discussion here and by no means do I know your musical interests.  However, my personal experience with a large number of Deadheads is that they are so blinded by competition to see as many shows and compare their knowledge of each show setlist, that they do not have the attention nor time to explore a great variety of music.  Additionally, when they do, they often are limited to modern jam bands, classic rock, reggae and some standard jazz.  I understand that it is all relative but I feel the same way about all the local bands that I go to support that will never make a living off of music but are infinitely superior to the bands that are hyped in the music media.  There is only so much market space.

And MMJ is nobody's little secret.  Besides RUSH, they are the biggest and most expensive band that I'll go see regularly.  I wish I can go back as far as the hard core old schoolers here.  I miss being able to see these guys at the 930 club.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

Agree with a lot of that, Ruckus. ..and MMJ are def the ONLY band (other than Springsteen this once) that I would see in an arena. MMJ aren't really under the radar---more like they're circling the radar, swooping down, then flying up and over....all over the place----my other favorite band (Drive-by Truckers) is the hardest working/hardest touring band in the country and they fly WELL under the radar--I understand that because they're an acquired taste. ..

MMJ are universally appealing to alt country fans (TTF, AD, ISM) and to indie/pop fans (EU, Circuital) and anywhere they meet in the middle (Z). They've been on Storytellers and have broken through the jam band mold, the southern rock mold, the indie mold. They're really not defined by any one type of music----thank GOD they're not playing arenas because that would suck for all of us.. if you take TTF and compare it to Circuital---it's like night and day...that wasn't even the same BAND....(although I love what's happened)..each album is different and when you can't be defined, sometimes not everyone will like or get it...a lot of die hard posters on HERE haven't been happy with the last 2 albums...

The Black Keys have gotten better as songwriters and producers while keeping the main base of their fans (Rock and blues), they've managed to break into mainstream by staying the same yet getting better. MMJ are all over the map----they've added a ton of new fans but have lost some of the old die hards. I have friends who haven't bothered seeing them since 2009 (and MMJ was one of their favorite bands). When you grow and change, you're gonna lose fans but add new ones. I think TBK haven't lost any fans--they're one of the few if THE ONLY band I've seen in the past 5-10 years that has grown into a stadium mainstream rock act while staying completely awesome.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

poochismyhomeboy

Quote from: tbear on Mar 24, 2012, 05:23 PM
I was outside during an intermission of a Dark Star Orchestra show in Charleston SC recently, talking music with a group of college students. Obviously we talking about the Dead, but when I asked them how they felt about MMJ all I got was blank stares. Never heard of them.

My nephew, is at a NE boarding school and  listens to the Dead all the time. When I asked him if his friends are getting into MMJ - - "who?" - - - he asked around: none of his friends had heard of them.

A budy of mine was at a bar in Gainsville FL recently and was playing MMJ on the Juke. He called me later. "man, not one kid at that bar has heard of MMJ. They need to own this shit!"

Look, I came to the game late. Hell, I am 40 and I caught up.

Is it just me? I cant stand the idea of the younger generations missing out on this. To me it would be like missing Zeppelin or the Dead (etc, etc) in the 70's - tragic!

MMJ is that good. Where are the kids? This should be their band.

(all this has just occured to me recently - - so I havent really been looking around at the shows. )

A couple of things. I feel the same way you do, but I'm a college kid so NO ONE I talk to, ever, has heard of them. Call me lame but I kind of prefer having a band "all to myself" - it's our little secret. I'd hate for some college freshman to come up to me and say, hey, have you ever hear "Wordless Chorus"? I'd punch him square in the face. :P

Also, I'm originally from Gainesville FL and those kids are all punks. No, literally, they listen to metal and punk exclusively. Whateva.

By the same token, you will see kids or "bros" or whatever at the shows. They represent but they don't make up any significant portion of the audience. It's a fantastic mix of young and old, new fans and not-so-new fans, high and sober, and fan and FANATICS. I like it that way. :)

In sum, I'm a kid, and this is my fuckin shit! 
Forecastle '12 & NFF '12

poochismyhomeboy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
I agree that "unknown" is somewhat subjective.  They're selling out some big venues, they've got celebrity fans, they're darlings of the festival circuit and late night talk shows, they've got two Grammy noms.

Here are the reasons I think MMJ is still relatively unknown.

1.  Weird name
2.  That band on American Dad was real?
3.  They release singles like "Holdin' on to Black Metal", not the most representative example of their music
4.  The only video they've done, for HOTBM, was fun for fans, but probably kinda "meh" to everyone else
5.  They don't make pop music
6.  Long hair and beards
7.  A lot of people I've tried to turn on to MMJ find Jim's voice "harsh" and "annoying" (I know, I know...)
8.  They don't play the game
9.  No T & A anywhere, 'cept in the pit  ;)
10. No big arrests for drugs, DUI, punch photographers, paternity suits, etc.

THIS!!! ^^^
Forecastle '12 & NFF '12

Luna Moth

Im 25, went to schools and work in TN, would say i have a large amount of acquaintances of all types. Willing to bet at least 80% has heard of them now. Back in the day a different story.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: Cameron on Mar 27, 2012, 09:15 PM
I wish less people had heard of them so I could see them in small clubs again!  ;)

I'm with you and Tracy on this.  I like hanging out after the show and being able to talk to Jim and the guys (or buy him a beer  ;)).  Those feelings naturally conflict with the knowledge that bigger success was needed for them to sustain the band as their gainful employment, so ultimately I'm totally glad they continue to make it and will be makin great tunes for the forseeable future!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

GO4IT

While we can lament that they are too well known or hardly known at all, I think they are in a pretty good place right now.

No one who really follows rock/indie has an excuse now for not knowing them.  We can still see them in relatively intimate venues or they stretch and fill MSG.  Hell, I saw them play before 300-400 in Birmingham and 700-800 in Leeds the month before MSG this past year.  I was telling everyone at the venue, "do you know these guys are playing MSG in a few weeks to over 10,000 people?".  I felt incredibly lucky to essentially be in a throw-back to 10 or so years ago in terms of their typical crowd size.

Enjoy it while you can.  I blew seeing a number of great bands in their prime at the Fillmore East while I was going to high school only blocks away.  Not going to happen again.

manonthemoon

I think the band doesn't "play the game" of being a radio friendly band, unless you are talking college radio.  They don't really have a genre to fall into and most radio is owned by big coorporations who want to play Nickleback every hour or so due to the rating charts they use.  I don't think I have ever heard MMJ played on a regular radio and only a hand full of times on college radio and xm stations.  I know whenever I tell people I am traveling to see shows they never have heard of these guys.

Don't get me wrong they have gotten more popular since I started following them in 06, but I don't think they will ever get to the point of being everwhere like some bands like the Kings of Leon or Maroon 5 because of they way the band is as I think they are too low key.  .02
Alive or Just Breathing

zanjam

People!  Let's not complain!  They are big enough to make some caysh to go on, and intimate enough to satiate us for the rest of our lives (I think, on both counts.)  Don't worry, be happy!  More room for us!  I thought the time would come where we'd be wedged out of the rail but I think we have some breathing room.  I can't put my finger on why the ENTIRE world doesn't see them thru our rose colored glasses, but they don't, and we are lucky.  It's an acquired taste.  And it works for me!!
anything + reverb always = better

Beat Poet

Forget about it in the UK, though that said, I was impressed by the attendance at Somerset House last summer. There were alot of Americans at the Roundhouse! I think MMJ are a band for fans of music, not casuals.
Need live drum tracks? Visit [url="http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk"]http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk[/url]

Luna Moth

Quote from: Beat Poet on Apr 01, 2012, 06:37 PM
Forget about it in the UK, though that said, I was impressed by the attendance at Somerset House last summer. There were alot of Americans at the Roundhouse! I think MMJ are a band for fans of music, not casuals.
[/i]

True but there are also alot of 'fans of music' who write mmj off because they dont get it. Im just hoping jim keeps concentrating on being a band leader more than being Yim Yames by himself.

Beat Poet

Quote from: Luna Moth on Apr 02, 2012, 03:56 AM
True but there are also alot of 'fans of music' who write mmj off because they dont get it. Im just hoping jim keeps concentrating on being a band leader more than being Yim Yames by himself.

Why take the time to immerse yourself in MMJ when you can get into Kings Of Leon? That's probably the point from people who don't get MMJ.
Need live drum tracks? Visit [url="http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk"]http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk[/url]