Newport: Other (non-MMJ) Bands

Started by MrWhippy, Mar 25, 2012, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

This is a thread for getting to know some of the lesser known acts on the Newport Folk Festival lineup.  Here is one of the smaller bands I know:

Honeyhoney:

I checked these guys out a while ago due to being on the Coachella lineup and really liked it.  In a somewhat similar vein as Gillian Welch.  I've heard their most recent record, Billy Jack, and it is a really strong record.

JRE-Podcast HoneyHoney perform Back to You.mp4

honeyhoney plays the Esquire House (2)

Don't Know How - honeyhoney in The Room Live
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

wolof7

good idea Mr. Whippy...I started a topic on Jonathan Wilson, which is prob somewhere down on the 'other music' page but here is some more:

Jonathan Wilson - Gentle Spirit

Jonathan Wilson - Desert Raven
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

wolof7

oh and here's some of my local representatives (I'd imagine most are familiar with Deer Tick so I won't post them):

Brown Bird
Brown Bird - "Thunder And Lightning"

Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons
Drunk And Single - Joe Fletcher & The Wrong Reasons
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mahg33ta

Of Monsters and Men: (Sunday)

Described as Head and the Heart from Iceland.

Folk-pop band, acoustic, driving rhythms, layered vocals.  You know the drill.   Becoming a bit of a crowded genre.     Also seen the description "mumford and sons meets Edward Sharpe with a touch of Arcade Fire".

Radio success with their first single
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks (Live on KEXP)

album not out in the US yet but is in Iceland.   Generally good reviews.   Can stream at NPR
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=149062982&m=149160939

Waddy Peytona

I got a kick out of this song that came over my Twitter feed today: The Punch Brothers covering The Cars' "Just What I Needed" for A.V. Undercover.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/punch-brothers-cover-the-cars,70701/

Even if you're not a bluegrass fan, give these guys a listen if you're going to Newport. The musicianship is incredible.