Main Menu

Arbouretum

Started by Ruckus, Apr 04, 2012, 12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Stoner rock that can at times be very folky but have trended towards a more consistent droney, heavy sound while maintaining Heumann's lower register melodic vocals.  Four full lengths and a number of EP's later (including one out on RSD that I happened to get my hands on the other day), they still draw a small crowd at best in their sparse NE tours while doing a little better in Europe (I think).  What they lack in stage presence, they more then make up for in their songwriting, musicianship and live sound.  They have gotten better and better with every album.  I highly encourage people to give them a shot.  I love it when I spin one of their records on 11 and it permeates every room in the house.  Their last album, The Gathering (2011), was a classic IMO.

A taste from their albums

ARBOURETUM - Mohammed's Hex and Bounty.

Arbouretum - Destroying To Save (HQ)

Arbouretum - False Spring

Arbouretum - Waxing Crescents (HQ)

Arbouretum - False Spring

And finally a link to a song off their new EP out soon.
http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/listen-arbouretum-new-scarab-405-premiere

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

The Gathering is such a great album...by the time it gets to the Highwayman I'm in the zone. The whole album is such a great listen, thanks for introducing them to us Ruckus! I gotta get some of there other stuff any suggestions where to start?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Penny Lane

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 04, 2012, 06:52 AM
The Gathering is such a great album...by the time it gets to the Highwayman I'm in the zone. The whole album is such a great listen, thanks for introducing them to us Ruckus! I gotta get some of there other stuff any suggestions where to start?

ditto. i love them..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

It's all good but I'd recommend Song of the Pearl next.  It's the closest in sound to the Gathering and is great top to bottom.  They're a wonderful sounding vinyl band.  I love how they were lamenting how a large majority of their fb likes were male fans.  Well yes, because they sound like the soundtrack to a group of guys almost too lazy to play Magic.

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 04, 2012, 10:24 AM
It's all good but I'd recommend Song of the Pearl next.  It's the closest in sound to the Gathering and is great top to bottom.  They're a wonderful sounding vinyl band.  I love how they were lamenting how a large majority of their fb likes were male fans.  Well yes, because they sound like the soundtrack to a group of guys almost too lazy to play Magic.

;D That's such an apt description and really one of the reasons why I like them. I'm not sure what that says about my musical tastes, but whatever. They sound a little like Tull to me.

Fully

New Album!

COMING OUT OF THE FOG DUE JAN. 22 2013,WATCH THE BAND PLAY "WORLD SPLIT OPEN" IN BALTIMORE
[/l][/t]Following 2011's The Gathering and their split LP with Hush Arbors earlier this year, Baltimore's [/color]Arbouretum announce Coming Out of the Fog, their fifth full-length. Check out a live video of "World Split Open," shot at Thrill Jockey's 20th Anniversary show in Baltimore, below. The band will be heading to the UK early next month, playing the Thrill Jockey 20th Anniversary show in London as well as other dates.Coming Out of the Fog Track listing:

• 01. The Long Night
  • 02. Renouncer
  • 03. The Promise
  • 04. Oceans Don't Sing
  • 05. All at Once, The Turning Weather
  • 06. World Split Open
  • 07. Easter Island
  • 08. Coming Out of the FogArbouretum UK Dates:
  • Sun. Nov. 4th - Winchester, UK - The Railway
  • Tues. Nov. 6th - Manchester, UK - Kraak
  • Weds. Nov. 7th - Bath, UK - Moles Club
  • Thurs. Nov. 8th - Bristol, UK - Start The Bus
  • Fri. Nov. 9th - London, UK - The Lexington
  • Sat. Nov. 10th - Oxford, UK - Audioscope Festival
  • Sun. Nov. 11th - Brighton, UK - The Prince Albert
  • [/l][/l]

MarkW

Quote from: Fully on Oct 25, 2012, 02:14 PM

• Tues. Nov. 6th - Manchester, UK - Kraak

I'll be at this one.  Can't wait.
    The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

Damn you Fully!  You know there was a thread because it was only me and you in it and then you go slaughter the name.

I'm so stoked for the 11/24 show and the new album.  They are so consistently great and their evolution feels very subtle and natural.
    Enjoy the show Mark!
    http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,16353.0.html

Fully

What are you talking about? :grin:

(Thanks, CC, for merging the two threads. Sorry, Ruckus. Consider me shamed  :embarrassed: ).

wolof7

Looking forward to this album, not feeling World Split Open after 1 listen but will prob just need more time with it. I did go back and check out Song of the Pearl and it definitely rivals the Gathering, may even be a more solid listen through and through. Hope they give the states a good go round.
    Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Fully

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 25, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Looking forward to this album, not feeling World Split Open after 1 listen but will prob just need more time with it. I did go back and check out Song of the Pearl and it definitely rivals the Gathering, may even be a more solid listen through and through. Hope they give the states a good go round.
    I would love it if they came to Nashville. I haven't had time to listen to World Split Open yet. I've got parent/teacher conferences tonight, and it probably wouldn't go over too well if I started blasting Arboretum through the halls. Although, it would be rather badass of me...

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 25, 2012, 06:03 PM
    I hear you about World Split Open.  The recording mix isn't the best and it was at the awful Ram's Head.  That said, it sounds like something that could have come off of their EP from this year.  Heard a couple of their new songs last time I saw them but I'm not sure if that was one of them or not.

I think you were so apt in describing how you get into the zone on the Gathering.  I remember the first time I heard them on this forum and I was taken by their unique sound.  When I first popped in the Gathering, it kind of had me walking in place.  Then it clicked, I found the zone, and the rest is history with this band.

Fully

Listening to you two talk about The Gathering made me get it out and revisit it tonight. Thanks for reminding me that I love this album. It's a good night on this road trip.

Ruckus

Quote from: Fully on Oct 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Listening to you two talk about The Gathering made me get it out and revisit it tonight. Thanks for reminding me that I love this album. It's a good night on this road trip.
    :thumbsup:

MarkW!  I hope you enjoy the show!

Seriously this song of of their EP this year is just amazing!

Arbouretum - St Anthony's Fire - The Kazimier, Liverpool - 4th May 2012

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 01, 2012, 12:25 AM
    Quote from: Fully on Oct 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
    :thumbsup:

MarkW!  I hope you enjoy the show!

Seriously this song of of their EP this year is just amazing!

Arbouretum - St Anthony's Fire - The Kazimier, Liverpool - 4th May 2012

Mark only has four more days before he gets to experience this live!!! I so wish I could see them sometime soon. If only I could fly up to Baltimore and see them play with Om in late November... That was a great video, by the way.

MarkW

Thanks Ruckus - great vid.  I'll let you know how the gig was next week.  Venue capacity is only about 150, so I should be able to hear them just fine.  :wink:
    The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

GO4IT

Where are they playing on 11/24?
    I don't see it on their web site.

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Nov 03, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Where are they playing on 11/24?
    I don't see it on their web site.
    they have a web site? :grin:

It's at Ottobar opening for OM

Fully

The band just posted on their Facebook page that as of today you can preorder their new album which won't be out until jan 22. However, everyone who preorders will he the record as a download immediately! Go to http: thrilljockey.com/thrill/Arbouretum/Coming-Out-Of-The-Fog

Ruckus

Though the critics haven't fawned over it like the Gathering, I think they've put out another A+ record with a little more polish and structure.  Sandwiched in between two or their more classic sounding stoner rock/doom tracks is this stunning ballad with pedal steel where Heumann's soaring vocals at the end even reminded me of Vedder at times, though of course much better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcv0uymoFss