Fantasy Super Bowl Halftime Show

Started by rincon, Mar 20, 2012, 04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheThird

[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

YimYodd

Quote from: aMillionDreams on Mar 22, 2012, 11:49 PM
Quote from: passerby25 on Mar 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
I never really thought of MMJ as playing at the superbowl. As much as I love them, they aren't really what I would consider a "radio friendly" or poppy enough band. Their music, while good, does take some listening and getting used to to really love.

More realistically though, being from around the Philadelphia area, I have fantasized about, and I think they would be a good fit, into the Free concert with the Roots on July 4th. They play  with enough energy, and have some pretty good "dancing" songs that I think it would be a good fit (I imagine a fantasy 20 minute set of something along the lines of: Dancefloors, Gideon, Black Metal, and OBH with Jim w/ The Roots doing Dear God 2.0). In addition, Jim has worked with the Roots before, and seeing them play together would be mind-bottling.

Prepare for your mind to be bottled:

http://vodpod.com/watch/3864853-the-roots-dear-god-2-0-feat-monsters-of-folk-jimmy-fallon-live
Thanks for posting this....I JUST WENT TO CHURCH!
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

ItBeats4Jew

this will obviously never happen, but if it did:

Lay Low
It's About Twilight Now
Dancefloors
One Big Holiday
what Madonna said really helped

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
Quote from: rincon on Mar 23, 2012, 12:48 AM
Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Quote from: rincon on Mar 22, 2012, 10:56 PM
I never really thought of MMJ as playing at the superbowl. As much as I love them, they aren't really what I would consider a "radio friendly" or poppy enough band. Their music, while good, does take some listening and getting used to to really love.

More realistically though, being from around the Philadelphia area, I have fantasized about, and I think they would be a good fit, into the Free concert with the Roots on July 4th. They play  with enough energy, and have some pretty good "dancing" songs that I think it would be a good fit (I imagine a fantasy 20 minute set of something along the lines of: Dancefloors, Gideon, Black Metal, and OBH with Jim w/ The Roots doing Dear God 2.0). In addition, Jim has worked with the Roots before, and seeing them play together would be mind-bottling.
Funny, I think they are extremely radio friendly. They are proof that decent radio is dead. Their music would have been huge in 70's or 80's.
I'm not sure it's that much different these days.  For example, when the Allman Bros were peaking in the early 70s they weren't on the pop radio stations.  The only song eventually "making it" in that niche was "Ramblin' Man" off "Brothers and Sisters", a catchy tune but certainly not among their greatest works.

Much of the great cutting edge music has never really been appreciated by the masses.

I agree that most decent radio is dead. There is at least one awesome station that I know of, however, WTMD of Towson University.  If you're not in the Baltimore region you can stream it and they also have an app that you can stream to your smartphone. Give it a listen and if you like it, contribute to keep good radio alive.
I don't think of MMJ and Allmans as having much of anything in common. MMJ is at heart, a pop band. They utilize many styles of music, but they are far too melodic to be considered "southern rock". Seriously. what songs by MMJ truly conger up the Allmans or Skynyrd, besides OBH?
I don't totally disagree with MMJ's pop tendancies, but Lay Low has a serious Allman Bros. vibe once Jim trades his voice for the flying V!

johnny, that's so funny that you say this, because i've always said that the dueling guitar part to lay low is right out of the allmans playbook. 
what Madonna said really helped

johnnYYac

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
Quote from: rincon on Mar 23, 2012, 12:48 AM
Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Quote from: rincon on Mar 22, 2012, 10:56 PM

Funny, I think they are extremely radio friendly. They are proof that decent radio is dead. Their music would have been huge in 70's or 80's.
I'm not sure it's that much different these days.  For example, when the Allman Bros were peaking in the early 70s they weren't on the pop radio stations.  The only song eventually "making it" in that niche was "Ramblin' Man" off "Brothers and Sisters", a catchy tune but certainly not among their greatest works.

Much of the great cutting edge music has never really been appreciated by the masses.

I agree that most decent radio is dead. There is at least one awesome station that I know of, however, WTMD of Towson University.  If you're not in the Baltimore region you can stream it and they also have an app that you can stream to your smartphone. Give it a listen and if you like it, contribute to keep good radio alive.
I don't think of MMJ and Allmans as having much of anything in common. MMJ is at heart, a pop band. They utilize many styles of music, but they are far too melodic to be considered "southern rock". Seriously. what songs by MMJ truly conger up the Allmans or Skynyrd, besides OBH?
I don't totally disagree with MMJ's pop tendancies, but Lay Low has a serious Allman Bros. vibe once Jim trades his voice for the flying V!

johnny, that's so funny that you say this, because i've always said that the dueling guitar part to lay low is right out of the allmans playbook.
Its almost too obvious, once Jim and Carl are in sync and take off.  That song, and the post-vocal guitar sold me on MMJ.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

oistheone

Anytime
Gideon
Lay Low
Dancefloors
One Big Holiday