Levon Helm in "final stages"

Started by oistheone, Apr 17, 2012, 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

No other musicians death has saddened me more.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ManNamedTruth

R.I.P. Levon. Might have to bust out my copy of The Last Waltz tonight.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

FiddleCastro

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

buaawwww

Devastating.  You just knew it was coming, hell I just posted about this, but even now that he is no longer with us it's just so horribly sad... and wrong.  But thankfully he is no longer suffering and at peace. 

2 of my favorites...

The Band - Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

And this gem...

The Band - Chest Fever - Live at Wembley 1974

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

walterfredo

"Of course The Band was a huge influence on Phish and many other bands. But Levon's own musical career is just so inspiring.... from wanting to leave the Bob Dylan scene in the 60s despite all the success around it in order to follow his own musical tastes to the incredible Midnight Rambles of recent years. I was lucky enough to go to four of the Rambles and play at one, and these were life changing experiences. Jon Fishman called home from the parking lot after the first one I went to, saying it was a top musical experience of his life.

I've always thought music can exist so perfectly when churning in the confines of a barn, and this took it to an extreme where American culture was simply bubbling over with authenticity, passion, and a connection to the backwoods and the hills. It's a testament that ten or fifteen incredible (and notable) musicians came through each time to make up and enhance this house band (not to mention the incredible opening bands). In the middle of the barn, with his deep seventy year old smile, Levon's uniquely spare yet fierce drumming propelled a repertoire through these enchanted nights. Folk, bluegrass, and country blended effortlessly with blues, soul, and funk, creating a melting pot of sounds unique to our country. And despite battles with throat cancer, Levon would grab the mic and sing so powerfully that it shook the beams of his old barn-home to the core.

To do a few cool things when someone's young is one thing, but then to grow older and cultivate such a heartfelt and moving musical situation is very inspiring.

It's no wonder so many artists are influenced by his sound, his sensibility, and his projects with their own pursuits. This is a huge loss, and I'm sorry for anyone who couldn't experience that magic first hand, and I'm thankful that our country and our musical community was lucky enough to be graced by such a soul"
- Mike Gordon

headhunter

his friends, family and bandmates were with him singing when he passed.
what better way to go.

the best way to mourn his loss is to celebrate his life.  he brought so many so much joy.

i played big pink and the last waltz today.
tonight it's rock of ages and stage fright.

his music will outlast all of us.  long live levon.  thanks for everything.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

Penny Lane

Quote from: buaawwww on Apr 19, 2012, 05:15 PM

And this gem...

The Band - Chest Fever - Live at Wembley 1974

that's incredible..the Wembley crowd doesn't seem ecstatic but in that video you get to see all 5 do their stuff--love the 3 vocals

el_chode

I just hate how a truly legendary musician with actual importance is a by-line on most news outlets, when 3 hit (music, countless on the pipe) wonder Houston/barely established Winehouse cause an uproar.

Regardless, it's like another member of a legendary class has moved on.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
I just hate how a truly legendary musician with actual importance is a by-line on most news outlets, when 3 hit (music, countless on the pipe) wonder Houston/barely established Winehouse cause an uproar.

And he was a far better actor than Whitney and damn funny on an old episode of SCTV. 

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

oistheone

This news is really hitting me hard. I feel empty inside knowing that Levon is no longer with us.

It is a little comforting to read all the stories of how positively he influenced the lives of so many. I feel like I'm not alone. I owe the best night of my life to Levon Helm, and I just wish he was here to create some more music and some more memories.

Rest in peace Levon.

Penny Lane

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 19, 2012, 10:04 PM

that's always frustrating...my co-workers had no idea who he was..and my one co-worker started singing the Elton John song, i said 'uh yeah, it's written about HIM'...i said 'anytime you hear the word Levon in a song, it's about THAT Levon'...dick...

i know this might not be appropriate, but part of me hopes that Larry, Theresa and Amy will carry on with a Ramble Tour to celebrate his life...

oistheone

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
i know this might not be appropriate, but part of me hopes that Larry, Theresa and Amy will carry on with a Ramble Tour to celebrate his life...

Part of me hopes for the same thing! If there's one thing Levon would have wanted, it would have been to keep the Ramble rollin' on.

Hawkeye

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 20, 2012, 09:04 AM

Part of me hopes for the same thing! If there's one thing Levon would have wanted, it would have been to keep the Ramble rollin' on.

THIS...I could have gone a few times over the past year, but money and PTO were too tight...I'll probably always regret not going  :'(

His Spirit will carry on...Across the Great Divide

Band Pandora station playing all day...it's the best I can do at work...need to watch The Last Waltz stat!

He was mentioned on one morning show that I saw this morning...but it was very quick...I think it was CBS news...the lady seemed to be quite a fan...she quoted Dylan's little blurb about his passing...the male anchor just said "High praise coming from Dylan"...I dunno, I wish they had said more I guess
We could.

aMillionDreams

Bob Dylan's response:
He was my bosom buddy friend to the end, one of the last true great spirits of my or any other generation. This is just so sad to talk about. I still can remember the first day I met him and the last day I saw him. We go back pretty far and had been through some trials together. I'm going to miss him, as I'm sure a whole lot of others will too.

I'm so sad that I never made it to a Ramble but so happy that my friend Jim did!
Jim James w/ Levon Helm - Makes No Difference 8/13/10
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

jimsflyingv

R.I.P. Levon one of my favorite musicians ever.....

I have one question, what member of this forum works for Rolling Stone magazine and has put the picture in the Levon Helm tribute gallery:

Levon and Jim singing together:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/levon-helm-through-the-years-20120417/the-levon-helm-band-with-jim-james-0645662

What would I have given to be there :)