Tiny references

Started by SaraBananaBear, May 05, 2010, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

QuoteNot really a tiny reference, but I'm watching IFC right now and they had a nice 4 min. or so segment between programs with the boys at Outside Lands 2010. They had clips from TIWTCWY and Gideon as well as Jim and co. talking about San Francisco, etc. Some great footage.

A very pleasant surprise at 3:25 in the AM.

Any idea how I might be able to watch that?
Good question.  Might there be a full video of the OL show?  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

QuoteSoooo, one very interesting quote from one Mr. Danny Clinch:
"I think I'm going to do some press for My Morning Jacket coming up soon."
- Danny Clinch
November 10, 2010

Found here:
http://dcist.com/2010/11/dcist_interview_danny_clinch.php
:D

Wasn't it his crew that was filming the Preservation Hall Late Night show?

YES!  :D
What is this you all speak of?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

the_wizzard

Jim James picks his top 10 Curtis Mayfield songs on pg. 40 of the new "Playlists Issue" of Rolling Stone.  It is not on their website yet, but here are some other artists picks:
http://rollingstoneextras.com/playlists/

SaraBananaBear

Okay, don't know if this has been posted before, but I just found this: http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/watch-gareth-liddiard-live-teaser/

"LIVE, an intimate study into the art of performing is one of the most interesting features of next year's Sydney Festival line-up. Made up of a series of short videos of performers playing their songs, stripped back to the bare bones, video artist Jasmin Tarasin showcases the raw act of performing without all the pomp that can go along with shows.

Featuring performances by Jarvis Cocker, Peaches, Warren Ellis, Feist, Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright, Juliette Lewis, Kim Salmon, Róisín Murphy, Sarah Blasko, Gareth Liddiard (The Drones), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lisa Kekeula (The Bellrays), Jimmie Little, Ron Peno, Dan Kelly, Laura Jean, Clare Bowditch, Julian Hamilton (Presets), Kram.! the event offers a wide range of different music styles.

With opening night scheduled for Jan 13th, featuring performances by Gareth Liddiard, Sarah Blasko, Kram and Lara Jean, be sure to grab tickets soon as they are limited"

I'm a bit confused, how does this work? Maybe someone from Aussieland might explain? (I'm looking at you Miss weeniebeenie  ;)) Will it be available on say, DVD or something later on?  Or will someone have to go there and secretly record it? (I'm still looking at you Miss weeniebeenie... ;))
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

jmk

How I Met Your Mother played X-Mas Time is Here Again at the end of their most recent episode. This is the second time they've used MMJ (they used Off The Record back in Season 1).

SaraBananaBear

QuoteHow I Met Your Mother played X-Mas Time is Here Again at the end of their most recent episode. This is the second time they've used MMJ (they used Off The Record back in Season 1).

Oooh, you go HIMYM, keep up the good work! Do you know which episode of season 1, ish?  :)

jmk

QuoteHow I Met Your Mother played X-Mas Time is Here Again at the end of their most recent episode. This is the second time they've used MMJ (they used Off The Record back in Season 1).

Oooh, you go HIMYM, keep up the good work! Do you know which episode of season 1, ish?  :)

I believe the episode was "Game Night." I think they had to change the song for the DVD, though.

SaraBananaBear

I believe the episode was "Game Night." I think they had to change the song for the DVD, though.

Okiesdokies, thanks a bunch!  :)

jones

On ESPNU tonight during the UL vs WV game in Louisville, "Home town of Muhammad Ali and Jim James, My Morning Jacket", during the TV time out at 6:58 in the first half.

The reference came from ESPN commentator Carter Blackburn.

Schmokenvontoken

good company. ali. james. horus. socrates. galileo. all good souls in my book!
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

slappymoe

Quote from: flyguy on Jan 26, 2011, 08:53 PM
On ESPNU tonight during the UL vs WV game in Louisville, "Home town of Muhammad Ali and Jim James, My Morning Jacket", during the TV time out at 6:58 in the first half.

The reference came from ESPN commentator Carter Blackburn.
i was watching the game but missed that.  a buddy called, laughing, "did you hear that?"  thanks to dvr, went back and heard it.   ali and james.   talk about rampant badassery. 8)

it was certainly unexpected.  carter must be a fan.   good for him.

SaraBananaBear

woodnymph

GOOD SPOT, SBB!!!  :D :D :D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 03, 2011, 02:59 PM
GOOD SPOT, SBB!!!  :D :D :D

Thanks, found it on Tumblr, makes the song even better, which is almost impossible, since it's so brilliant to begin with  :D

walterfredo

Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 18, 2010, 11:23 PM
Was listening to Scott Van Pelts radio show on the way to work today...coincidentally the music intro he played after a commercial break was OBH, and as the guitar intros going hes saying "wait for it.......wait for it....wait for it...and there it is" then goes onto saying that the band was MMJ (radio hosts dont usually name the band all that often, especially SVP) and that he randomly caught them play that song on Conan in 03, hair and all, and that those guys can rock and he's been a fan ever since.

Pretty much cemented SVP as my favorite employee of ESPN.

Just heard OBH again on the SVP show. Love it.

CC

"Lined with sighing steel guitar and sustained piano notes, the four-minute "The Long Road Home (Iron Gate)" shows similar development to the 10-minute epics that bookend it. Inter Arma opens its successor, "The Long Road", with more than seven minutes of rising rock 'n' roll action, reaching the It Still Moves-sized limits of My Morning Jacket before catapulting, without hesitation, into a malevolent Scandinavian-influenced blast." -  Grayson Currin

http://interarma.bandcamp.com/

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: CC Baxter on Jul 30, 2013, 12:41 PM
"Lined with sighing steel guitar and sustained piano notes, the four-minute "The Long Road Home (Iron Gate)" shows similar development to the 10-minute epics that bookend it. Inter Arma opens its successor, "The Long Road", with more than seven minutes of rising rock 'n' roll action, reaching the It Still Moves-sized limits of My Morning Jacket before catapulting, without hesitation, into a malevolent Scandinavian-influenced blast." -  Grayson Currin

http://interarma.bandcamp.com/

I experienced the following three stages when listening to this:

- Nah, this seems to lack the energy and intensity to be similar to MMJ, whatever do they mean?
- Oh I see what they mean, I can kinda hear it now.
(malevolent Scandinavian-influenced blast starts)
- OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT!?

:thumbsup:

Marcalonas

My Morning Jacket owned SLC tonight! = Amazing performance!

CC

anyone watching the new series The Blacklist?
cool music

http://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist

APR

Quote from: CC Baxter on Sep 25, 2013, 03:48 PM
anyone watching the new series The Blacklist?
cool music

http://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist

Never seen it, but my wife watched one a few nights ago and told me she heard the beginning of JJ's State of the Art.