Concert-related hearing loss

Started by oistheone, Oct 04, 2012, 04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

If I had tinnitus I would probably kill myself.  That's kinda punk, right?
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

oistheone

That is tremendous information Shug! Thank you very much for sharing.

I plan to enjoy concerts for decades to come, so it's time to take control and start protecting the things that enable me to enjoy those concerts in the first place!

Fully

Thanks, Shug. That was really informative. I had no idea you are an audiologist. The ear protection that you use- how/where would I go about getting something like that?

Shug

Happy to share! 

Custom fit ear plugs http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html will run you about $200 and they will likely last a lifetime.  The "one-of-two sizes fits-all" kind http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html are a lot cheaper and still do a good job if you put them in properly.  they bring sound down 20 dB, which is a little more than I prefer, 12-15 dB of attenuation as with the custom fit musician's earplugs is about right for most concert-goers.

To get the custom fit musician's hearing protection, as a couple folks correctly mentioned above, is to go to an audiologist or any place that sells hearing aids and have them order you a pair.  They will take an impression of your ear canal (squirt a bunch of goop in there that hardens in a couple minutes) then send off those impressions to be made into earmolds.  You gotta ask for the 15 dB filters (or the 9 dB or the 25 dB, depending on how much you want to bring the sound down - the bigger the number, the more the sound comes down).  It'll take about a week for your earplugs to be ready.  I would suggest you ask for a long canal length in your earmold.  It goes deeper into your ear canal and reduces the possibility of distortion.  Might be less comfortable, but for me personally, it sounds better.  You want the earmold to cover the cartilagenous portion of the ear canal and end right where the bony portion of the ear canal starts.  The audiologist should know what you are talking about if you ask them this.

Find an audiologist: www.audiology.org

Fully, don't you live near Nashville?  Vanderbilt has a world class audiology program, as good as it gets.  Probably more than you need for musician's plugs, but it'd be cool to go there.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Ruckus

Thanks for the great information Shug!  I'm in the ole's catch 22 where I never had the best hearing to begin with and I love my shows real loud.  I fear using plugs would prevent me from enjoying my rock shows.  Perhaps a much lower db plug would be advisable?  I've skirted the issue no matter how much advice I've gotten from concert going experts and wonder if my stubbornness will continue.

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Shug

It takes some getting used to, but Ruckus, you might try the 9 dB filters.  Some protection is better than none.  I know what you mean, I like my shows loud too, but I want to enjoy them for years to come and I don't want to ever have to wear hearing aids, so I wear the ear plugs.  But you can still feel the bass thumping your chest when Tommy is killing it in Victory Dance, so it feels loud even when you are protecting your ears.

And when it comes to the decibel (dB) numbers, dBs are on a logrithmic scale.  6 dB of difference can relate to twice/half as loud or soft.  So the difference between the 9 dB and 15 dB is pretty big, at least the math says it should be.   Everyone's perception of loudness is a bit different though.  It doesn't directly relate to how much physical pressure a given sound exerts on your ears.  Not sure if that makes it more confusing or less.  Again, I'd recommend 15 dB filters for most folks, 9 dB for those who are worried it won't be loud enough for them.  25 dB is way too much attenuation for most concert goers.  Might be right if you are onstage with the Who, though.  :wink:

LeanneP

I've definitely noticed permanent damage and I don't even go to that many shows. My husband works in the music industry, tho, and usually goes to at least one metal show a week. I talked with him and we're going to get him a set up custom earplugs for Christmas. I'll likely get a set, too, but his exposure is way more than mine.

Thanks for all the good info Shug! 
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

LD

I'm also a resident audiologist and thought it would be helpful to post a chart that compares examples of different industrial noise levels.  I often use this when counseling patients so that they have a better appreciation on the exact sound pressure levels of different sounds in their environment and whether it can cause hearing loss depending on duration of exposure. 

Note:  Live concerts on average are around 110 dB.  In a work environment, someone can be exposed to roughly 85 dB during an 8 hours work shift without permanent hearing loss.  If sound is measured above that, then OSHA requires a hearing conservation program be implemented and hearing protection provided to the employees.  Generally, for every 5 dB increase starting at 90 dB (8 hours), you cut the amount of time in half (i.e. 95 dB =4 hours max; 100 = 2 hours, etc).

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm

Thanks Shug for the additional information!!!
It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

jaye

You are both audiologists?!    Cutest audiologist couple ever.   :wink:

I started wearing those over the counter etymotics based on recommendations here and I've been really happy with them. 

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

audiologists = ear pussies. /thread.

Shug

Quote from: jaye on Oct 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
You are both audiologists?!    Cutest audiologist couple ever.   :wink:

I started wearing those over the counter etymotics based on recommendations here and I've been really happy with them.

Awww!  thanks, jaye!

Shug

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Oct 11, 2012, 06:09 PM

Sticky, I see you are being your usual charming self.   :beer:

ericm

Jeez man, did someone hack your user name or you going soft on us? I popped all this popcorn for that? What a letdown! I was really looking forward to one of your classic point on point Sticky responses.  :wink:

"Where's Jim going?"

LD

Quote from: Shug on Oct 11, 2012, 06:31 PM

Sticky, I see you are being your usual charming self.   :beer:

Thanks Sticky!!!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: ericm on Oct 11, 2012, 06:32 PM

Jeez man, did someone hack your user name or you going soft on us? I popped all this popcorn for that? What a letdown! I was really looking forward to one of your classic point on point Sticky responses.  :wink:

that shit was way too fucking long I didn't read a word of it.  all I could make out was "I'm an elitist and think I understand how music works".  that bullshit aint for me son. 

peafunk31

Not sure why, but I immediately thought of this clip while reading Sticky's counter posts. It made me laugh  :tongue:

Airplane Movie Counter Point clip
Homer no function beer well without.

Fully

Shug - Thanks for the information. I've been wearing the cheaper entymotics for awhile now. I find that at the first of a show I notice the sound being tamped down, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. Last night when I took them out after Jack White, I was surprised that the audience noises were so loud. Depending on how deep I place them, sometimes they aren't comfortable in my ear canal. Can you explain how we should be putting these things in? Is is similar to the way I put my in-ear monitors in - where I pull my earlobe back while I insert them?

While I'm on the subjecct of iem's... sometimes when I put them on, I don't realize that the volume is louder than it should be and it will scare the shit out of me. Will that type of loud noise that lasts for just a second or two, damage my hearing?

Also, LD is an audiologist too? How adorable. Do the two of you work together?

Fully

Quote from: ericm on Oct 11, 2012, 06:32 PM

Maybe Sticky keeps getting distracted by the word "pussy"  :rolleyes:

oistheone

HOLY SHIT -- I just realized that earplugs would not only protect my ears from the overly loud music coming from the stage but would also protect my sanity from the blabbing assholes that always end up next to me! I probably wouldn't hear a word of it! REJOICE!

LD

Quote from: Fully on Oct 11, 2012, 11:18 PM
Shug - Thanks for the information. I've been wearing the cheaper entymotics for awhile now. I find that at the first of a show I notice the sound being tamped down, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. Last night when I took them out after Jack White, I was surprised that the audience noises were so loud. Depending on how deep I place them, sometimes they aren't comfortable in my ear canal. Can you explain how we should be putting these things in? Is is similar to the way I put my in-ear monitors in - where I pull my earlobe back while I insert them?

While I'm on the subjecct of iem's... sometimes when I put them on, I don't realize that the volume is louder than it should be and it will scare the shit out of me. Will that type of loud noise that lasts for just a second or two, damage my hearing?

Also, LD is an audiologist too? How adorable. Do the two of you work together?

Fully---a few seconds will not damage your hearing.  Yes, pulling back on the ear is ideal to straighten your ear canal resulting in a better fit.  For as much as you frequent shows, I would really consider investing in custom musician earplugs with 15 dB attenuators.  They will be much more comfortable and the sound quality is great!!   And  we do work together, which is a whole other topic, maybe over some beers sometime with ya!! :cheesy: :wink: