Amazing Architecture

Started by bbill, Jan 31, 2008, 03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie Walnuts

Sorry for being computer illiterate, but how do I insert a picture into the message?

I've got some great architectural photographs that my friend took that need to go up here!
"A problem shared......is a problem two people have got."

pawpaw

QuoteSorry for being computer illiterate, but how do I insert a picture into the message?

I've got some great architectural photographs that my friend took that need to go up here!

I'll try to give you the steps, though I'm not all that computer savvy either:

-The picture(s) need to have a web address that you can paste into your forum post...you can get this two ways:

1) Copy the address of a picture already on the internet ('right-click' on the picutre to access the properties, and copy the direct web address of the pic and paste in your forum post)

2) If you have personal pictures that you've taken, upload them to a photo hosting website, like photobucket.com. Once they've been uploaded, they'll have individual addresses that can be copied into your forum post.

The address should be pasted into your post like this:

http://imgs.sfgate.com/n/pictures/2009/01/14/fog5.jpg

-Once you paste your photo address into your forum post, highlight the address with your mouse/cursor, and then click on the third icon from the top left corner of the icons above the typing window (it looks like a small photo of a landscape). The address shold be surrounded by the following html prompt: [img ]"WEB ADDRESS" [/img ], and then your photo should show up! Can't wait to see them!

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Paulie Walnuts

Thanks. Unfortunately my friends website is set up so that you can't get an individual web page address for each individual photograph. The link always just takes you back to the home page. Well, I think that's the reason anyway!

The best thing is for me to give you the link to his website. He's a freelance photographer who contributes to A10 magazine, and even though he's my friend I think some of the pictures are amazing. It's not all architecture, there are some mechanical objects that he photographed e.g. wind tunnels, scientific equipment etc.

There are two sections to view: Autonomous and Commercial. There are lots of architecture pictures in the Commercial section, but both sections are really good.

I'll be interested to know what you think. Maybe you can figure out a way to post some actual pictures in this forum!

http://www.roelbackaert.com/

Crispy

Cool stuff!

Hey Paulie, if you're using IE, right click on the picture and hit Properties, and you can copy the address from there - with firefox, you can right click and just hit Copy Image Location.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Paulie Walnuts

Great, thanks. Here are some of my favourites:

Paulie Walnuts

I know these aren't strictly architecture, but they are interesting objects:

BH

Wow, those are all awesome!  Thanks P Dub!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

Yeah, thanks Paulie and Crispy! Cool stuff! I'll check out your friend's work on that site Paulie...I love this!

Seeing some of your pics, Paulie, reminded me of a contest that was held last year. It was a "City of The Future" deisgn contest, sponsored by the History Channel. Architects, as well as Engineers and Urban Planners all contributed to whole city designs for the year 2108. The three finalists were San Francisco, Atlanta and Washington DC (Atlanta won). Here's a link to the site (http://www.history.com/content/cityofthefuture), and some of the coolest pics:

Dudley

QuoteCool stuff!

Hey Paulie, if you're using IE, right click on the picture and hit Properties, and you can copy the address from there - with firefox, you can right click and just hit Copy Image Location.

I think i've seen this in person... Is it in off the bahamas near Paradise Island???

pawpaw

QuoteCool stuff!

I think i've seen this in person... Is it in off the bahamas near Paradise Island???

Hmmm...I'm only guessing here, beacause I've never been to the Bahamas, but unless that white stuff is some Photoshop trickery, I don't think that building is anywhere near the Caribbean.  :)  ;)

BH

QuoteCool stuff!

Hmmm...I'm only guessing here, beacause I've never been to the Bahamas, but unless that white stuff is some Photoshop trickery, I don't think that building is anywhere near the Caribbean.  :)  ;)

Maybe it's Tony Montana's place in the Bahamas, circa 1977.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

;D That's true BH, I hadn't thought about that. Bahamas it is!

BH

Kind of evil looking, no?

Taterbug

Chicago spire, USA -
The Chicago spire stands tall at no.3 and literally so as it is touted as one of the most significant residential developments in the world and also the tallest. A simple inspiration and a great result that is there for everyone to see by the year 2010. It is inspired by nature and its complexities and beauty. This 609m structure will dominate the Chicago skyline and our hearts too.

I'm a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, and I'm fortunate enuff to live in an  area that has quite a few of his homes.  Also the neighborhood I live in has the most Sears built homes in the country, when you could order your house out of a catalog.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

BH

QuoteChicago spire, USA -
The Chicago spire stands tall at no.3 and literally so as it is touted as one of the most significant residential developments in the world and also the tallest. A simple inspiration and a great result that is there for everyone to see by the year 2010. It is inspired by nature and its complexities and beauty. This 609m structure will dominate the Chicago skyline and our hearts too.

Unfortunately they ran out of money, and chances are it will remain a hole in the ground for many years.  It will definately NOT be done in 2010.

pawpaw

YES!!! I always love it when this thread pops back up  ::)

I did a lot of work on one of the newer high rises in San Francisco, and toured it last year just before it opened. It also has a grounded (directly to the building structure) lightning rod at the roof, with a strike counter! At that time, lightning hadn't struck the rod...I thought that was awesome though!!!

There are a lot of empty construction pits throughout the world right now...we've got one here in Sacramento. Millions of dollars of ground and foundation work had been done, and then the building loan defaulted. Whoops!!! Times are tough for a lot of builders and designers.

Taterbug

Unfortunately they ran out of money, and chances are it will remain a hole in the ground for many years.  It will definately NOT be done in 2010.

Well that sucks.... maybe they'll  fill the hole up with all the scrap from that shithole they call Wrigley field when it collapses  ;)  :).. They need to stop thowing money into it( like polishing a turd )  ;) :).
GO WHITE SOX  :-[

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

BH

Well that sucks.... maybe they'll  fill the hole up with all the scrap from that shithole they call Wrigley field when it collapses  ;)  :).. They need to stop thowing money into it( like polishing a turd )  ;) :).
GO WHITE SOX  :-[

;D  Can we get together sometime and make fun of the Cubs.   That would please me to no end.

pawpaw

I was down in Oakland yesterday for work, not far from this building. I'd lived down near there as it was being built, never got to see the finished product until yesterday though. Really cool structure to this cathedral, and amazing internal light. It's a real gem for Oakland, right on Lake Merritt.

The Cathedral of Christ the Light - Oakland, CA

pawpaw