Jacket Bracket Attack 2012

Started by Ruckus, Oct 11, 2012, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwxg14a

1. Steam Engine
2. Mahgeetah
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

Northern Neighbour

lpkell2145

1. Steam
2. The Bear

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

20 times I wish you'd understand...

APR

1. Steam Engine
2.  Mahgeetah

As great as The Bears is, putting on Magheetah always puts me in a good mood.

Haldon

mahg33ta

MMJ without the Bear would be a huge bummer.
MMJ without Mahgeetah is hard to imagine!

How would okonokos end?

Fully

Quote from: mahg33ta on Dec 03, 2012, 09:24 AM
MMJ without the Bear would be a huge bummer.
MMJ without Mahgeetah is hard to imagine!

How would okonokos end?

It would never end and that would be awesome.

Shug

I voted Mahgeetah but I love The Bear.  Been pondering how to articulate what I love about it.  I like the music that goes from a quiet reflective opening to a cathartic triumph.
But its the lyrics that really do it for me, although they aren't poetry in that they aren't as powerful without the accompanying music.  Put both music and lyrics together and its greater than the sum of the parts, as most good songs are.

I see it as in the same vein as At Dawn, a song about standing up for your dreams, visions, and ideals and refusing to be pulled down by the naysayers, the pull of the average and the mediocre and shooting for a lofty target of a life's path.  While in At Dawn, its the steely blade that cuts down the naysayers with violence, in The Bear, the protagonist has a more compassionate view towards those who would do him harm (those who have "lost touch with their bleeding hearts"), as if he could pull them back from their own darkness with love and understanding.  (I often thought that Sticky needed to receive some of this love, if he were not too closed off to receive it)

"There's still time for you to come forward with whatever killed your spark"

I get a vision of Jim James (because I choose to believe that both songs are largely autobiographical) as a saintly spiritual pilgrim, bringing his benelovence and childlike amazement of the experience of life and his passion for living life to the fullest and following dreams, trusting his inner vision and all that kind of stuff.

Its a short song, but for me, its very rich, at least how I interpret it.  For me, its awesome and mystical and it carries a very important and inspiring message.  It shows me that Jim's life-path is a model for how to live life.  That's a pretty big burden for me to place on him, but I think his spirit is big and strong enough to accept that role, at least for a few moments to a few people.

The Bear and what it means to me is a big part of what sets MMJ apart from almost every other one of their contemporaries.  To me, they are functioning on an entirely higher level of artistic vision and proficiency than all those other bands.  Jim James is a very special artist and the band he's gathered around him strengthens him and makes his art stronger.  That's why I love The Bear.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Ruckus

Steam Engine
The Bear (This was an impossible decision)

So I don't want to be a tiebreaker so if others want to jump in that would be great!  I'll leave it open until tonight before I post the next round.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

pawpaw

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
Round 4 Group 2:

1. Dancefloors v. Steam Engine
2. The Bear v. Mahgeetah

1. Steam Engine
2. The Bear
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

jaye

Quote from: Shug on Dec 03, 2012, 11:27 AM
That's why I love The Bear.

This is really beautiful, Shug.  It should be in a separate "The Bear" thread to not get lost! 

tdb810

1. Steam Engine
2. The Bear
.....Back at the Model Home

Murph

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: Shug on Dec 03, 2012, 11:27 AM
I voted Mahgeetah but I love The Bear.  Been pondering how to articulate what I love about it.  I like the music that goes from a quiet reflective opening to a cathartic triumph.
But its the lyrics that really do it for me, although they aren't poetry in that they aren't as powerful without the accompanying music.  Put both music and lyrics together and its greater than the sum of the parts, as most good songs are.

I see it as in the same vein as At Dawn, a song about standing up for your dreams, visions, and ideals and refusing to be pulled down by the naysayers, the pull of the average and the mediocre and shooting for a lofty target of a life's path.  While in At Dawn, its the steely blade that cuts down the naysayers with violence, in The Bear, the protagonist has a more compassionate view towards those who would do him harm (those who have "lost touch with their bleeding hearts"), as if he could pull them back from their own darkness with love and understanding.  (I often thought that Sticky needed to receive some of this love, if he were not too closed off to receive it)

"There's still time for you to come forward with whatever killed your spark"

I get a vision of Jim James (because I choose to believe that both songs are largely autobiographical) as a saintly spiritual pilgrim, bringing his benelovence and childlike amazement of the experience of life and his passion for living life to the fullest and following dreams, trusting his inner vision and all that kind of stuff.

Its a short song, but for me, its very rich, at least how I interpret it.  For me, its awesome and mystical and it carries a very important and inspiring message.  It shows me that Jim's life-path is a model for how to live life.  That's a pretty big burden for me to place on him, but I think his spirit is big and strong enough to accept that role, at least for a few moments to a few people.

The Bear and what it means to me is a big part of what sets MMJ apart from almost every other one of their contemporaries.  To me, they are functioning on an entirely higher level of artistic vision and proficiency than all those other bands.  Jim James is a very special artist and the band he's gathered around him strengthens him and makes his art stronger.  That's why I love The Bear.

THIS! ^
what Madonna said really helped

exist10z

Just a note, despite Shug's wonderful articulation of why he loves The Bear, he still voted for Mahgeetah, which is now down a few votes.  I won't be crushed if The Bear wins of course, but I am still pulling for Mahgeetah. :grin:
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Jon T.

hardest choice of the competition for me.  We all lose on this one.   :cry:  :grin:

mahg33ta

Quote from: exist10z on Dec 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
Just a note, despite Shug's wonderful articulation of why he loves The Bear, he still voted for Mahgeetah, which is now down a few votes.  I won't be crushed if The Bear wins of course, but I am still pulling for Mahgeetah. :grin:

I am in the same boat, and arguing for Mahgeetah for fun more than anything else.   What would a Bracket be without upsets?

Ruckus

Round 4 Group 2 is closed.  Nice!  First time we've had 40 voters! :beer:

Steam Engine 37 - Dancefloors 3
The Bear 21 - Mahgeetah 19

Ruckus

Round 4 Group 3

1. Where to Begin v. One Big Holiday
2. Strangulation v. Dondante

exist10z

Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..