one song to play for a new mmj listener?

Started by tripingbillies, Nov 10, 2005, 11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben grimm

Yep, I would put Lowdown in the same category as The Way That He Sings as a grabber  :D

and you'd be right.

loper

QuoteSTEAM ENGINE!!!

This is, to me, their greatest achievement, although Dondante comes damn close.

But it is such a complex number that I think it would bamboozle 1st time listeners. Unless, of course,  you tied them up in a darkened room and played it non stop for 12 hours. Then they'd come out knowing it alright!

Foxtrot76

The Way That He Sings....that's what hooked me at first listen

tripingbillies

What about Hopefully from acoustic citsousa or really anything off that album.

Willard1979

I showed a friend Golden from Okonokos, cuz he likes country...he didnt say he liked or didnt like it. When Lay Low came on, he said he liked it. Pretty random, id say.

EverythingChanges

I always show people either OBH, TWTHS, I'm Amazed or Dondante.  It just depends on what person you are trying to introduce the band to.  Dondante is a good one if the person is heavily into something like Pink Floyd etc.  They'll catch on right away.

I'm Amazed was my first MMJ song and I sure was amazed!!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

robb

I had success today with IWSYS.

My first was Wordless Chorus.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

CHIMMJFAN

Well, I'll say the song that hooked me......."Laylow" after that my life had no choice but to religiously follow MMJ!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

Fully

exist10z

Obviously all these suggestions are great songs, but I think I would play something from Z or Evil Urges.  Probably - Anytime, Off The Record, Touch Me Pt.1, Shootin', or maybe even IB4U. 

I guess it depends on the kinda music the person you are trying to convert is into, if they primarily like country/folkish music, then I can see Golden or some of the early songs.  If they are into classic rock/jam, then I could see some of the other suggestions.  But if they are just an 'average' pop/indie music fan, I think Z and Evil Urges have the most 'accessible' songs.

On the whole though, unless the person likes 'good' music, it's probably hopeless, I don't think MMJ is that accessible for the standard music fan.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

e_wind

Honestly, I'd go something off Z or just go I'm  Amazed (cringe). I loved Anytime, Off the Record, and Wordless first. Those are all really easily liked songs, that are right in the middle of their career...

on the other hand one time at a bar i played Steam Engine on the juke box and some dude freaked out cause he had never heard of it or MMJ. He said i changed his life with out knowing it. Being from louisville, its weird that he had never heard of them, but I'm glad to do what I can
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

millerjustin

Just let them borrow okonokos and tell them to put it on shuffle.   Guaranty that they'll be back for more.....
What's in here won't disappear

dylyn

I play the monumental "Phone" from Red Rocks ever since I've had the bootleg... but I usually would go with OBH/Steam/Run Thru... as it was stated earlier, it really all depends on their personal preference of music as MMJ is very very eclectic in genre.... throw in some covers too.

justbcuzido

Whats funny is that my brother had me listen to OBH and I really didn't care for it (at first). Maybe I was in the wrong headspace. So he gave me At Dawn and I put it on shuffle and heard Hopefully and I think listened to that song for 8 hours straight at work. Probably had something to do with calling off my engagement that week.

But to get new listeners, I go Lowdown, Gideon and the Oh! Sweet nuthin' cover just to show my friends a good range of guitar shredding and vocal godliness. Or I just let them borrow the Okonokos DVD.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Jackets N Pones

I have the most success with Wordless.
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire