Rolling Stones in N.J.

Started by ericm, Oct 22, 2012, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Anyone going? Thursday Dec.13th, and Saturday Dec.15th.

Tix are prices are rediculous. $114.00 for uppers behind stage, to $813.00 for floors, and the whole lower bowl!! :shocked:

Their ticket packages run from $902.00 - $2,453.00!

That said, I took the plunge, and got lucky. I scored a ticket in a low row upper, out front of the stage, in one of the cheaper price ranges for the Saturday show. I saw them once 34 years ago, and figured it was about time to go again. :wink:

"Where's Jim going?"

tdb810

Whoa, that's some serious $$ !  I have an email into Bob to see if he wants to go.  We will see if:
a)he gets back to me
b) he wants to go
and
c)is willing to pay that ticket price (he's known as the cheap one in our household).

I'd like to go, just because I have never seen them before, but I won't be heartbroken if I don't. 
.....Back at the Model Home

MrWhippy

Hey Eric, just curious what was the cheaper price range you grabbed if you don't mind saying?  Just what good upper level tix were going for.   I pulled a lower level ticket for one of the Newark shows, but tossed it back once the $813 price came up.  Didn't expect the whole lower level to be the top price tier.

I caught their last tour, and felt very lucky to grab good lower level tix for half price off the secondary market, but half price was still about $225 per ticket.

I hope they do something like play Bonnaroo so there would be a chance to see them at a reasonable price. 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

ericm

No problem Jon. I got one of the $150.00 = $172.00 w/fees. I'm in a low row of section 209. I had a $250.00 one in my cart, but for where the seat was, and the $100.00+ difference with fees, it didn't seem worth the extra dough to me. Also, the whole Mezzanine except for behind stage is $450.00, even the last rows farthest from the stage! Couldn't justify spending that for those seats either.

Trish - if you,and Bob decide to go, the general sale is this Friday at 12:00. Today was the Amex presale, but those tix sold out in minutes.

"Where's Jim going?"

zanjam

Quote from: ericm on Oct 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
Tix are prices are rediculous. $114.00 for uppers behind stage, to $813.00 for floors, and the whole lower bowl!! :shocked:

Their ticket packages run from $902.00 - $2,453.00!
I'm disgusted!  That is so vile.  I've seen them bunches and they always put on a great show, but I will never see them again.  Who the fuck do they think they are?  The Beatles??!!
anything + reverb always = better

johnnYYac

Ticket pricing is criminal.  I get that bands aren't making money on recordings like they used to, but no 2-4 hour event should cost more than $100.  I almost bailed on Neil Young for that reason and gave up on seeing The Who because of pricing.  As much of an event as Roger Waters The Wall was, I regret the $$$ spent.   
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Taterbug

Those prices are what I would expect for a Led Zeppelin reunion tour. 
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

headhunter

I've seen the Stones a few times and although the ticket prices are insane, it's the Stones and I don't think we get many more chances to see them.  If you haven't gone before, spend the $$ and take the plunge.

I'd love to go despite the long trek to Jersey.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

ericm

Supposedly the Stones are making a whopping 25 mil for the four shows! Two at the O2 in London, and the two in Jersey.   I don't think that's including the rumored pay per view for the Saturday Dec. 15th show. They could probably make that off the ppv alone,IMO. 

I'm rationalizing my spending $180.00 on the show by adding in the $15.00 I spent 34 years ago to see them, and telling myself I'll have seen the Stones twice for less than $200.00.  :wink: Throw in going with a great group of friends who are big time Stones fans, the hotel parties, the rampant badassery that is sure to take place, and that was the clincher for me.  Always a much better time when shared with great people.  :beer:

"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

I agree, John, that ticket pricing is insane, particularly for these acts that appeal to the baby boomer market.  The Stones have always pushed the frontier on that one, and it is definitely pretty sickening.

I also agree with Jeff, though, that sometimes you just have to take that plunge and end up with a priceless memory that is ultimately more valuable and meaningful than the money you spent, as money is ultimately something that just flows in and flows out.

John, as you and I have talked about, we both have a common Deadhead past.  When I was in college seeing a buttload of Dead shows (saw over 100 before Jerry died), I coined a phrase among my friends, that we still use to this day.  The phrase is: In five years, what you will remember, the money or the show?

Keep in mind, though, that this phrase was coined in roughly 1989, before our current economic conditions and ticket prices spiraling out of control.  I've thus recently offered a revision more fitting to our current times:  In five years, what will you remember, your massive consumer debt or the show?

My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

I think I'll just spend the money on the ppv. I don't think they can possibly live up to STP tour Stones. They are too old. I'd rather spend the money on a time travel machine or go watch Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones.

Shug

Quote from: Fully on Oct 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
I think I'll just spend the money on the ppv. I don't think they can possibly live up to STP tour Stones. They are too old. I'd rather spend the money on a time travel machine or go watch Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones.

Yeah, Fully, very few rock shows today could live up to 1972 live Stones.  I've seen them a handful of times in the 90s for much much less, and although they played pretty well at most of those, I won't be going to these shows at those prices.  If they announced that Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman had rejoined the band, I'd start to consider it, but I don't see that happening.  I watch Ladies and Gentlemen ALOT, LD and I love that one!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

LD

The Stones need to look and play like the '72 tour before I'll show my face for those prices! :huh: :shocked:
It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

ericm

The ga section in front of the stage is being called the "Tongue Pit" and tix are a whopping $1,850.00.  :huh: No worries though,  the TM fees are only $3.50.  Kinda makes the $813.00 floor seats look cheap no?  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

Fully

At my house it is quite a bit cheaper to gain access to the "Tongue Pit". 

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Oct 22, 2012, 04:31 PM

Yes, but do we get early entry like the Stones are offering?  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

vespachick

Quote from: ericm on Oct 22, 2012, 04:39 PM

Don't make me separate you two!   :grin:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Taterbug

I heard you can also gain access to your  "Tongue Pit" in the following places.

1. The car
2. Movie theater
3. Laundromat
4. Porta Potty

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

jcoyote

I saw them in 1989(?) in Clemson and paid around $37.  At the time, that was a lot of money, and I just remember looking around the stadium thinking I had gotten ripped off.  Then they started 2,000 Light Years From Home (off my favorite album) and all was good.  "Saw" them or more heard them in Columbia in 1994.  Friends of mine lived off of Rosewood where we could hear the show and half see the monitor.  We called it "A Stone's Throw Away" party.  Clever, huh?  No way I'd see them now, no matter what the price. 

Not to thread crap, though.  Congrats on the good seats for what appears to be a good price, comparatively.  I know/hope you will enjoy the show. 

Fully

Quote from: vespachick on Oct 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
Quote from: ericm on Oct 22, 2012, 04:39 PM

Don't make me separate you two!   :grin:

No. Entry is very selective and it takes a lot of warm up before entry is granted. Vespa, now you can spray the hosepipe.