Okonokos - best live album ever?

Started by millerjustin, Oct 22, 2012, 09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millerjustin

What's in here won't disappear

Mr. White

Probably...But The Who's Live at Leeds (Regular Version and more recently the Deluxe Edition) has been my favorite live album for many, many years...But I do listen to and watch Okonokos A LOT! I have it on my mp3 player (actually the Okonokos Project version I downloaded from The Steam Engine a while back) and listen to it while exercising and mowing the yard all the time. I have given it to my brother, cousins and friends as a way to "Turn On" those who "Don't Know". It is probably the best there is.

Here is the link to the page on The Steam Engine where the Okonokos Project zip can be downloaded.

http://thesteamengine.net/display/Search?moduleId=10238924&searchQuery=okonokos+project
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

manonthemoon

One of the best, but growing up a metal head in 90's it is hard to beat Pantera 101 Proof for its shear intensity.  Basically the soundtrack to all high school sporting events for me.

On the lighter side there is NY's Live Rust that is epic.

To be honest I love live albums so I tend to always prefer them to studio albums.
Alive or Just Breathing

Mr. White

Quote from: manonthemoon on Oct 22, 2012, 09:54 PM
One of the best, but growing up a metal head in 90's it is hard to beat Pantera 101 Proof for its shear intensity.  Basically the soundtrack to all high school sporting events for me.

On the lighter side there is NY's Live Rust that is epic.

To be honest I love live albums so I tend to always prefer them to studio albums.

I like (love) Live Rust a lot too. In fact, it gets listened to more often. I mentioned Live at Leeds because it really rocks and was very important to me in my late teens and early 20's. It is so loud and raw that it almost defines "live rock album" to me. However, I truly do listen to Neil more these days than most anything (MMJ not withstanding). I'm like you in that the live stuff is almost always better to me for some reason. It is probably because I feel that if a band can do it live, they are worth something. (I do still love acts and albums that are highly produced and could never be done "live".)
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Northern Neighbour

U2 Live at Red Rocks, IMO, is one of - if not the - best live album produced.

exist10z

Ummm..., The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East.

This isn't really debatable, sorry.

Seriously though, if you're a Jacket fan, and this double album didn't IMMEDIATELY pop into your head, then you must not have heard it.  And if you haven't heard it, procure a copy right now, this second, and listen - then come back and try again. :thumbsup:
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

rincon

Love the NY, U2, and Allman albums, but for me, it is Live at Leads, possibly tied with Okonokos. Easily my 2 favorite albums of all time. When Elton released his live album in the early 70's he said he never understood why people buy live albums. He said something like concerts are for the people there, and studio albums are far better. I never undertood that, unless you are talking about crappy live bands like Aerosmith in the 70's.

e_wind

I think the My Morning Jacket Anthology: Live! at Terminal Five in New York. is the best live output ever.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Dillsnufus

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
I think the My Morning Jacket Anthology: Live! at Terminal Five in New York. is the best live output ever.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Shug

Okonokos is up there and I'm in agreement with Mr. White that is probably the best way to turn people on to MMJ.

I think we've covered this before in other threads, but its still a fun conversation to revist for me.

Others to consider including those wisely already mentioned:
The Allmans - Live At Fillmore East (in its many versions)
The Who - Live At Leeds
The Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya Yas Out
Bob Dylan/The Band - Before The Flood
Van Morrison - Its Too Late To Stop Now
Derek and The Dominoes - Live At The Fillmore
The Band and Friends - The Last Waltz

(A Motor City triple shot):
         Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo (insane blazing guitar back in the 70s, if you can get past his current caveman politics)
         Bob Seger - Live Bullet
         J Geils Band - Blow Your Face Off

A few live DVDs which you could listen to the audio only of:
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd - Live in Pompei
Wilco - Ashes of American Flags
The Black Crowes - Into The Fog
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Crispy

Yes to the RUSH, but Exit Stage Left is my choice. It's my favorite live record of all time, but probably in a tie with Okonokos.

Rush - Xanadu ( Exit Stage Left )

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jon T.

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 23, 2012, 12:25 PM

When the crowd "sings" along to an instrumental, you're on to something.
Rush- Yyz live in rio

This is unrelated (sorry). I used to be a big Primus fan.  I've listened to this songs hundreds of times and never knew this was from a Rush song.  Don't know anything about Rush (again, sorry).  Thanks for the connection.

PRIMUS: John the Fisherman [Live]

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 23, 2012, 12:55 PM

Rush- Yyz live in rio

This is unrelated (sorry). I used to be a big Primus fan.  I've listened to this songs hundreds of times and never knew this was from a Rush song.  Don't know anything about Rush (again, sorry).  Thanks for the connection.

yep, Les and Geddy are buds. This is supposedly the most difficult Rush song to cover.

Primus - La Villa Strangiato Live 2004
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Okonokos falls in my top 5 for sure along with Exit Stage Left.
I'd also add The Roots Come Alive, Queen at Wembley, and Miles' Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

zanjam

I've listened to live rust more than any album ever, live or studio. So that's my #1 for sure. Then followed by exit stage left, then okonokos. Live at Leeds, the last waltz, grateful dead one from the vault all rank up there too.
anything + reverb always = better

GO4IT

Allman Bros at Fillmore East
Derek and the Dominoes at the Fillmore East
Okonokos
All tied at the top of the heap.
The Who Live at Leeds not far behind.

rincon

Forgot this treasure that I would pt in my top 3 with MMJ and The Who.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969:_The_Velvet_Underground_Live
Honorable mention, especially the expanded version. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Name_of_This_Band_Is_Talking_Heads

exist10z

Yeah, I really think this conversation starts and ends with Allman Brothers at Fillmore East, still perplexed about the disagreement...

But since we are listing other options, I am with Rincon on Talking Heads, I was going to suggest Stop Making Sense - at least as a part of the conversation.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 23, 2012, 12:55 PM

Rush- Yyz live in rio

yep, Les and Geddy are buds. This is supposedly the most difficult Rush song to cover.

Primus - La Villa Strangiato Live 2004

This may all be true but this last video made me yern for computer generated dragons like never before.
There's Still Time.........